DVDVR Message Board

FIRE PRO WORLD

Craig H

Before I post this on the Discussions on Steam for feedback:

For downloads, if you want to open them in editor to see how they've been set up, the only option is to scroll through all the characters, there's not currently a way to do this like a pick a wrestler for a match in teams.

I'm a dummy, there's no easy way to sort guys in a promotion or team tab, is there?  Moves I think can only take someone in and out of a team, but not change the team's order.  Because I clearly don't want to empty an entire team to reorder it if I have like a big team.

Has the "clothesline" tag always had the moves it has?  It seems weird that both running and counter has a bunch of non-pinning frankensteiners, arm drag and back body drop.  I'm not sure why that had that.

Totally. Instead of going back through all the duplicates I had of the bigger stars and deleting the not-so-good versions, I decided it would be easier just to start from scratch.

They need a search function or at the very least the ability to sort by promotion and uninstall by promotion (and an uninstall all button). Menus look nice but need a lot of alterations.

So guys would I get banned from steam or something if I uploaded a Buffalo Bill edit where he's tucking his dick between his legs?  Because I was able to make that work really well.  Kind of heavy on pube though.

With FPR, if i had a lot of free time to work on edits, I finished one up in a week-10 days.  Wasn't unusual to spend a month on an edit (prob. including time watching matches to get moves and style down better).  I'm looking at the sheer volume of edits people are throwing up and thinking to myself "There's got to be a lot of horrible edits out there."

Honestly, even most of the appearances out there look pretty basic compared to the best FPR stuff.  I feel like even with more layers and options, gradients gave you more flexibility for appearances.  

I broke down and bought the game for my PC.  Not planning to play it much.  Just was wiling to spend that much on a PC version to see how it is.  If I end up buying it "for reals", it will be the PS4 version.  Of course, that would necessitate also buying a PS4.  I can probably talk myself into a pS4 for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.  I'm kinda on the fence about FPW.  There's a lot I like about the game.  There's also a lot I was hoping for more to justify the PS4 purchase.  I was hoping logic would have been improved on more and it kinda bugs me some of the lazy stuff I disliked about FPR is still around.

I think, on its merits, it's a good game.  I feel like maybe I've finally outgrown/moved on from Fire Pro.  Really liked FPR less and less as the years went on.

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Totally. Instead of going back through all the duplicates I had of the bigger stars and deleting the not-so-good versions, I decided it would be easier just to start from scratch.

I just did the same - over the last few days I had loaded maybe 300 guys into the game.  I set 32 team 8 man tag tournament and it quickly became really obvious that most of the edits were rubbish (and that's with going through and trying to find the best of each one).  Now I'm basically taking the approach of download and sim immediately to see if its any good and giving up on having any complete rosters for awhile.

The ones that kill me are the guys who have 100's of upload already basically taking the look from someone else and obviously spending about 20 minutes updating the logic/moveset and throwing it back up as their own.  At least we know we will always have a proper Pentagon Jr. made with love.

At this point I am mostly sticking to Fire Pro Returns/D re-uploads which I don't mind getting duplicates for since at least those are semi-official work. Most of the genuinely new shit for me the last few days has been DeathByHighKick's MMA stuff which even if I might not use it as much is clearly a project of love on his part and there's some cool stuff there. Other than those I am sort of happy that my roster is as big as it could ever possibly need to be. I probably need to split it into more tabs for ease of use but in terms of just roster size, the Steam Workshop is everything we could have dreamed of.

When unsure what version of an edit to grab I tend to just look for a version done by a name I recognize at this point. I mean, if he did 10 other edits I like odds suggest the 11th isn't garbage either. And that way they tend to have more "internal consistency" where all edits by one author are going to align with each other in terms of strength.

Most of the editing I plan to do going forward are probably just made up people that I can't imagine why anyone else would want them.

Spike CPU Logic isn't the best. Lots of pins after elbow drops and such. It's pretty difficult getting long matches out of defaults because of that and their late-match logic when they go for a lot of their big moves with little else.

It's so frustrating finding a great looking edit but then finding out it has 270 skill points. Or outdated moves. Or wonky logic. I know if I don't like it i should make my own... I've started to go through the guys who I will be using a lot and cloning them, leaving the downloaded wrestler subscribed but in the retired section and making adjustments with the clones. That way, if they fix their edit, I'm g2g. Not ideal but probably the best option. Still, it won't take long for the amount of edits to really pile up and become unmanageable with this current menu system.

I feel like the logic/moveset stuff is the easier part if you actually are familiar enough with the wrestler once you actually learn what all the categories do. Moveset can take a while if you don't know where they stuck a certain move though. I'd say about 80% of my time is spent in the appearance tab and yes, I know, it's still pretty clearly my weakest area by far.

The only clones I have made for the purposes of strengthening was one for Flair, and I made a stronger Jushin Liger because I'm a mark and I want the correct person to win certain matches all the time. I might do a Terry Funk.

• Like 1

Here's some bits of (fantastic) news from Carlizilla after he did some poking around in the game's code:

S-1 is in the game. I've played it. It's the same as it was in FPR, I'm sure it's coming, as the only thing missing is a menu button.

Logos and custom colors in ring edit are coming. The ring has two sections for logos: mat and apron. I've used the paint tool, it allows for pixel by pixel and importing of PNG image files (maybe others too, I only tried a PNG).

Fuck.yes.

• Like 2

How useful would a standalone program be that'd let you see the stats/CPU logic/skill points/moves/etc of any wrestler in the game, edit or standard?

Interesting thing I found poking through the assets files - wrestlers have a flag set for if they're visible in the wrestler select screen, and a flag for if the wrestler is considered "completed".

Two of them are "The Man" A and "The Man" B, and don't appear to be finished or displayed in the list.  Another that is apparently completed, but not visible, is "Newface" John Smith.  I'm guessing he's going to be a possible hold for a career mode later.

Also interesting: 33 wrestlers are currently defined.  There's space for 300.

A standalone program for edits would be amazing. Dota is wildly different than FPW, but the creation of in game content happens in a standalone program and not in Dota itself. I know that's how it is for plenty of other games as well. That's something for much, much later on down the road, but it's a great idea.

Basically:

• The game was created in Unity
  • Most of the game data is in standard Unity assets files
  • I found a Python module to read those assets files
  • I found the game data (resources.assets, y'all)

Early comical attempts at updating the game data resulted in all the original game wrestlers disappearing to the point I had to completely reinstall the game.  So for now, I'm going for read-only output, but in the future, if this pans out...

Hilariously, inside the game data, the wrestler data, move data, skill data, etc. are all in CSV format.  I figured they would've done a NoSQL database format of some kind, but nope, straight text, homie.

This is the shit that goes down for the W*ANG Random Acts of Violence Battle Royal Championship:

TBH I cheated the randomness to test out the King Diamond and Abbath from Immortal edits I downloaded.  King Diamond is the fucking shit.  He won the title.

Great Sasuke was coming into it as champion.  I think he got pinned by THE YETTAYYYYYYY.  It came down to King Diamond and Abbath because W*ANG is pretty fucking metal son

• Like 3