DVDVR Message Board

FIRE PRO WORLD

Craig H

Answering my own question, but apparently not. It's at some point after this because it's just Woods and Joe as guests along with some other current and former Giant Bomb crew.

What would you folks like to see in the game tho? ^_^

Or at least, what are your expectations of post-early access additions? Anything earth shattering? I think giving the community access to modding tools would be the best thing we can hope for.

Also, at this event next Wednesday with Ibushi, I hope he brings fireworks. 

I think the main issue for early access just seems to be making sure multiplayer latency and stability is sorted. Beyond that, as long as being on PC leaves me infinite edit slots to fiddle in the Ancient Past of Wrestling where I live that's cool.

Additional goofy match modes would be fine, if possible. But considering what will already be there I don't consider that important.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

What would you folks like to see in the game tho? ^_^

Or at least, what are your expectations of post-early access additions? Anything earth shattering? I think giving the community access to modding tools would be the best thing we can hope for.

The thing I most want to see is a mode similar to the campaigns in X, S and D. Pick a fed full of edits, work your way up from the bottom with ramping difficulty, beat the champ. It wouldn't unlock anything of course, but it'd be a nice bit of structure after R which only had the single-show booking mode.

Surprised to see them say that Returns bombed. Are they talking about the English release or both releases? I mean, it was about as niche as you could get when it was released here on the PS2 and it was $20. That thing was never going to make a lot of money. Hopefully this does significantly better. And that mask editor is going to be fucking dope.

Here's a question for some of the folks here...With NJPW seeming like it's more popular than ever, why hasn't there been a NJPW wrestling game? I would think that the time is right for a new Wrestle Kingdom game or maybe even relaunch Toukon Retsuden.

• Like 1

For a while, Japan dropped more of it's focus into mobile and handheld gaming (which also partly explains the Switch).  NJPW had a mobile game not too long ago, but with Fire Pro coming back, and NJPW cross promoting with Tekken 7 and the next Yakuza, there might be a better chance for a NJPW console game than there has been in the last decade.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

So we get to take advantage of the Date/Time but not the yen conversion, it's all good.

2000 yen = roughly $18. Not that far off.

I'll be over here driving my car with a juicer crudely duct taped to it speeding up to 88 mph in a parking lot for the next two weeks. 

I think with word of mouth being so much easier to spread thanks to social media, it's easier now than in 2005/07 for smaller games to succeed. I hope this is a big win for Spike and a real revival of the series rather than a swan song, but I'm thrilled they get one more go of it either way. 

Yeah I guarantee people will be crying about that 10% the community fucking sucks now

Also re: smaller games being easier to succeed, maybe.  You're in a sea of games now.  Like look at the latest games in the PS4 store sometime and you'll see a ton of shit you don't even see get coverage anywhere.  At least this is already getting coverage.

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Surprised to see them say that Returns bombed. Are they talking about the English release or both releases? I

They're talking about the Japanese release.  The US release was all Agetec securing the rights and doing the translation, so that would have been free money with no risk from them.  

I haven't looked up sales figures in sometime like seven or eight years, but if memory serves, FPR (Spike version) sold in the 40,000 - 60,000 range.  I'm thinking it sold 40-50K units.  I'm thinking FPR might have been the first Fire Pro game to sell under 100K units, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, yeah, I was under the impression that FPR did poorly compared to previous games.

Anyway know how many copies the Agetec game really sold.  At the time - again, it's been awhile - estimates ranged from 3K to over 100,000.  I'm always figured it sold 8-10,000 copies at best.

15 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

They're talking about the Japanese release.  The US release was all Agetec securing the rights and doing the translation, so that would have been free money with no risk from them.  

Ok, that's what I figured. I forgot about Agetec releasing it. Honestly, as great as FPR was, there wasn't much to make it stand out from previous releases or even GBA releases. 

Nonononono dude I strongly disagree

Elimination tag matches

Fucking revolutionary.  My favorite Fire Pro match type ever.  They should have called it Firepro 8 Man Elimination or something as a throwback to 6 Man Scramble

• Like 3