DVDVR Message Board

FIRE PRO WORLD

Craig H

Aping from Jae's Twitter reports of the Fire Pro/DDT show:

• Presentation features full entrances with pyro, name card graphics and a wide camera angle
  • 60 fps, although some framerate drops during intros.
  • "100 new moves" give or take.
  • No release date yet.  "Before summer vacation, I think."
  • MP3s for entrance music, but not during EA.
  • Blood from the wrestlers will stain the mat.
  • Match ratings are back.
  • Steam Workshop will be used for edit upload/download, and is being considered for "official" edits.
  • All moves in the game can be renamed.
  • No defaults based on real wrestlers.

As someone that was looking forward to the Steam Workshop support, I really hope it's not just for edits.

• Like 1

I really hope there's either an official or fan made method of creating moves because only 100 is way short of expectations. No release date is disappointing too. 

I almost always skip intros but finally having mp3 support is nice. The blood stained mat is also a cool touch but the blood kind of looks like the poo splotches from south park. 

There's another event in a little less than a month that will almost certainly have the release date. 

I'm hoping for a proper release date soon, but feel excited that it's coming out before summer vacation.  What's noted so far is pretty cool, especially the use of .mp3 (but don't tell them that format's obsolete now)  It'll at least give us proper themes to use, and as long as CAWs have them included then that makes it a rather authentic thing to have.  Same goes for renaming moves which is a nice surprise.

MP3 is only obsolete when people stop using it, and we're a long, long way from that point.  Also, MP3 is now essentially patent-free, which is almost certainly assisting this functionality (since they don't have to pay licensing fees for decoders now).

If he means summer vacation for schools, that's in two weeks. I somehow doubt it's coming out by then. Probably better to assume before the end of August, but my fingers are crossed for early access in June or July.

Also, MP3 is obsolete? What replaced it?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

If he means summer vacation for schools, that's in two weeks. I somehow doubt it's coming out by then. Probably better to assume before the end of August, but my fingers are crossed for early access in June or July.

FLAC, which is compressed WAV without the loss and artifacts that you get from mp3.  

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

As far as MP3 being obsolete it's more that the creators of it are abandoning MP3.  It's mainly due to newer technologies like FLAC offering a superior sound format.  http://www.sciencealert.com/the-mp3-is-officially-dead-after-its-creators-abandoned-it

Re-reading the article it doesn't mean as much as I initially took it, it's more a symbolic gesture.  And it also likely explains why it's the audio format used in the game, though you don't need high-fidelity music for this:

Now that MP3 is free of any licensing prohibitions that limit how the codec can be distributed, programmers who were previously barred from legally including MP3 support with their products are now starting to bundle the format – meaning MP3 might not be quite dead after all.

With that said I can't wait to see what else they reveal for the game.  I just want to know when early access starts.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I really hope there's either an official or fan made method of creating moves because only 100 is way short of expectations.

100 'new' moves. On top of all the moves returning from previous Fire Pro's.

There also wasn't a 12 year gap between two games in the series prior to this. That, for me, is a big disappointment. Even with 100 moves, the majority of current edits will have to have some replacements.

lol this is true. 100 moves is a shit load. What could possibly be left out that's that big of a loss when the move count was already insane to begin with?

The smile that's plastered on my face is huge. Also, I'm guessing that Karelin is in the game as Karelin?

Fuck. I forgot that I went with the Karelin Lift as my finisher more than most moves. 

It's not FLAC that replaced MP3. It's the concept of streaming and AAC/M4A for compressed audio. People use FLAC when they want no compression at all as the file size is gigantic compared to MP3. I use FLAC converted to ALAC(apple lossless) because the only device I have that can play them is an ipad mini besides my laptop. Or if you're a drunk you use 24-bit WAV files for no apparent reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I am intensely sleep deprived, but, Giant Bomb had the US Liason for Spike Chunsoft to come on and talk about FPW. Here are the big things I remember.

1) The Press Event next Wednesday in Japan will have a release date announcement.
2) The game will arrive "mostly complete," given that it's a rewrite of the FPR code, and so they're going to put essentially Super FPR onto Steam and then ask the community "sooooo now what"
3) The dude who is the US Rep is also kind of by default a one-man localization team. So be nice, pls.

if there's more I forgot but that's some good stuff

• Like 1

Was that when Samoa Joe was on too? I started watching the Day 2 video, knew Joe would be there, and fell asleep way early on when Phil Spencer was there.