DVDVR Message Board

FIRE PRO WORLD

Craig H

I feel like a little bit of Fire Pro died when they took out the swears. So many of my buddies and my edits had rad swears and they were incomplete without them. Tommy Dreamer hitting the DDT with the rad "E.C.FUCKIN' W!" was so great, especially the one male voice where it sounded like the guy's life was on the line to deliver the goods.

Hopefully we get more goofy noises and phrases. "FEEL THA POWURRRR" is a good one.

• Like 1

FWIW, "EC FUCKIN W" was also in FPD. That's a good breakdown of what newer players won't get.

I think the roster being so small is the biggest loss, even if you can just download a bunch of wrestlers anyway. Part of the charm of Fire Pro were all of the proxies for actual wrestlers. Bork Laser is one that we mention a lot on here. Saber (Vader), Rock Solid Rocky somethingorother (Ricky Fuji), Pepe Pena (Chris Jericho), Steve Majors (Steve Austin), and some others are ones my friends and I still remember. Even today, if we talk about wrestling, we'll sometimes use the Fire Pro name instead of the real name.

My hope is that someone in the editing scene will make a roster with all of the fake names instead of the real dudes. Even still, you're going to be missing that from the jump, and so new players will never understand the gloriously wacky parts of Fire Pro.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I feel like a little bit of Fire Pro died when they took out the swears. So many of my buddies and my edits had rad swears and they were incomplete without them. Tommy Dreamer hitting the DDT with the rad "E.C.FUCKIN' W!" was so great, especially the one male voice where it sounded like the guy's life was on the line to deliver the goods.

Hopefully we get more goofy noises and phrases. "FEEL THA POWURRRR" is a good one.

I suppose it stands to reason that since this will be on Steam, we'll be able to edit/mod the audio files. Hopefully someone will pull the files from G and D to reuse in World.

• Like 1

I do agree part of the fun of the import games in the 90s was getting translations from gamefaq (or equivalent site) or just guessing. 

"Ok, i scrolled down 3 times and counted down 4 people. I think that is supposed to be Men's Teioh." 

• Like 5

Some of the fake names were pretty fucked up - usually moreso in the Japanese version .  Poor Andy Hug got renamed "Andre Fag".  They changed it to Flag in the US versions.

GBA named Shane McMahon "JUNK BASTARD" in the English version, though

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Steve Majors (Steve Austin),

Steel Gold Steam Odin in FPD. I think the GBA version had different fake names, it's not the same with Taker not being The UnderGROUND.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/NGN/GBA/Features/fpwrestlers.html

Did anyone ever tell Scott Steiner his firepro name is 'Macho Handsome' Small Schteiner?

I learned katakana to help me with that damn series...

As for the learning curve to gameplay, people shouldn't be too intimidated. My 10 year old has played FPR for maybe two years and sometimes he can whip my "started with X Premium" ass. 

Simming is whatever, I don't tweak CPU logic but, when making edits, I'd usually use a default character with a similar style/moveset as a base. Hopefully there's either enough variety amongst the 30 defaults or a bunch of preset fight styles. 

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I do agree part of the fun of the import games in the 90s was getting translations from gamefaq (or equivalent site) or just guessing. 

"Ok, i scrolled down 3 times and counted down 4 people. I think that is supposed to be Men's Teioh." 

I actually wrote the gamefaq's "Partial translation, enough to get you off the ground, this is everything I ever figured out" for Jikkyou Power Pro Wrestling 1996 on the SNES. That game had a fake New Japan but with Misawa added, a fake UWF-i/RINGS combo, a fake FMW, and a fake American company led by The Sparkster, brother. 

Ancient history.

• Like 2

I liked it a lot for the style and vibe, but it was way too easy once you got the hang of it. Good for local co op but, I mean, the "local co op Japanese wrestling SNES game community" is, you know, 2 people in a basement. I was there. I saw. Still, the fact you could do weird shit like Onita vs. Inoki in electrified barbed wire land mine deathmatches was pretty hilarious.

Man, talk about a trip down memory lane.  I started with Fire Pro D and thank goodness for the college printer churning out tons of GameFAQs translation pages.  Between that and the GBA version it was a fantastic time to play wrestling games.  I took the GBA everywhere I went and had tons of fun with it.  It was nice to have FPR with English text and working with save files to get updated rosters.

All that said I won't miss the tons of GameFAQs pages or having to save files in a particular format to get updated rosters.  With the online created stuff I can see getting whole rosters with little effort.  Instead of having to wait for a giant edit pack that's quasi updated I can see downloading a new wrestler withing a week or two. That's pretty crazy to think about.  I'm not one to sim matches, but for stuff like DVDR March Madness it would be easier to do than ever before.  I'm beyond excited for this and can't wait to see what people churn out.

Jesus. How many of us used college printers to print out FAQs? Something I totally forgot about until yesterday. I used to have a binder full of FAQs and Wrestling Observer newsletters. Those were the days and Odessa's description of finding Men's Teioh is totally the same thing I did, except it was usually to find Vader or Kobashi or something.

As for the GBA version, I have no idea why I traded in my GBA and Fire Pro Wrestling and whatever other GBA games I had. I'm trying to think of what system came out after the GBA was released because it was probably to help pay for that. I wish I held onto it though. I never even got to play Fire Pro Wrestling 2 on the GBA.

Reminiscing about all of this really, really, really makes me wish Fighting Road or the Audience Mode from the GBA version made a comeback. Hopefully some crafty modder can add it in somehow. Otherwise, I'm sure playing in leagues and doing round robin tournaments will more than suffice.

• Like 1

I didn't discover Fire Pro until after college so for me it was waiting until my boss left for lunch and printing them out on the work printer.  Pretty sure I still have my binder with all my FP/KOC translations and move lists somewhere in my storage unit.

Dammit. I knew this was coming.

Hokay, back in the early 00s when Mike was working for WoW and I was working for UPW, a friend and I came down to visit and hit a WWE show (I think it was a TV taping? I do recall we ended up watching part of it with John Cena when we moved to avoid obnoxious sweary 8 year olds.) Mike had the Dreamcast and Fire Pro Wrestling D. We played each other... Vince Russo vs. Samoa Joe. I played Joe. I got CRITICALLED by Russo. I then made the mistake of telling Joe about it a week or so later... and got chopped.

• Like 7

So yeah I'm thinkin' this is gonna be some sort of secret minecraft since my understanding now is that the fanbase on mainline WWE is about as easily led as oldtime Mass Effect weirdos and just as motivated.   I only got into Puro because of Fire Pro.  Not the other way around.  My ass skipped ten years.

I'm hoping PS4 gets the unlimited capability for the sake of convenience, though knowing how things are I sense Steam is going to be the way to go.  I'm planning on getting it on both system anyway though.  But all this news so far has me dying to play this ASAP.

I don't see why the PS4 wouldn't have the same capacity for saves. It's only limited by HDD space. It's easy enough to upgrade the HDD in the PS4 so you should have the same limitations as the PC in that regard.

Like you though, I'm getting this on both systems, unless we get to playing it on early access and it's hot garbage. If this comes out and it's bad, it might be the most disappointing release for me in years. Even more than No Man's Sky.

• Like 2