DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 3/9/17

I didn't stay to see Alberto debut, or win the title. As soon as Bruce Prichard came out with the logo for his shitty podcast as his titan tron I decided the snake was eating its own tail and turned off my TV. I don't think I'll be watching Impact any more.

OH MY GOD.

I'm halfway through this show and the announcing is the fucking dirt-worst announcing I've ever heard.  I'd rather hear a Mike Adamle-Rob Barlett combo.  The stupid fake Borash-Matthews arguments totally take away from every match.  Borash is supposed to be the fan-favourite yet somehow he comes across like more of a prick than Josh Matthews heel announcer.  There was a shot of The Pope in between the two of them with his head in his hands that pretty much sums the whole show up so far.

Also, big LOL to Bruce Prichard coming out as the face of turning the company great again, only for someone to shout that he ruined Impact which leads to him going "Some people maybe do think I did ruin it." and has no rebuttal, just an acknowledgement.

• Like 2

Oof. The editing was way faster than before. Attitude Era like in speed, but that means that nothing really stood out match wise. I can dig Allie turning into early Lita. I think it's best that Maria is gone for the story line since I'm sure Allie/Sienna will be a better match and Allie/Maria. They could probably do something fun with Laurel but I have doubts.

But nothing else really stood out for me, the Hardys stuff was an ok way to end their run I guess.

I don't know if I'll take the time to delete my series record for the show, but I have my doubts going forward.

The problem with TNA the last year or so wasn't that the TV show was awful. It was that the promotion itself was in disarray. So now we have some financial stability and they made the TV show awful again.

How long before Anthem realizes that Jarrett conned them?

The commentary was so bad during the knockouts match that I felt embarrassed watching it. Poor Rachel and Sienna. They were doing a ok job but it's all over shadowed by Josh and Borash doing a horrible Cole/Lawler impersonation. Josh is really bad but Borash is not much better. They need Tenay and Don West back.

However, the worst segment was the Dutch mantell promo. Way to kill your company by kissing WWE's ass for 5 minutes, Dutch. Why did they air that? It almost feels like they are pushing to get on WWE network.

Rest of the show was just sad. Who are Reno Scum and why are they holding some fake tag titles? X division match was fine but meant nothing. Bet Caleb wishes he was back in WWN fulltime.

So', within five minutes we have an announcer talking about how great he was in the wwe and how awesome calling wrestle mania was. And then he mentions how borash wasted his time in tna.  I already like wwe, boys. I already think your show sucks. Don't need you to tell me. Changing channel

I watched the first 20-30 minutes last night and saw feuding announcers, Cody Rhodes yelling about something and a heel tag-team get a big elaborate entrance and lose to two guys I've never heard of. I think I saw all I needed to see.

So for all the talk of making Impact great we got: a final hour that featured ONE match (That wasn't that long of a match), two segments of ex-WWE/TNA guys coming back to talk about how they're going to fix the show despite neither of them actually telling the audience how they are in any way authority figures in Impact!, and a decent-ish main event featuring not one but two ref bumps with no ref coming out after the second bump despite the fact that they clearly have more than 2 refs (Because Earl Hebner refereed the KOs match) so you completely telegraphed that you were going to get a "controversial" ending.

Also, if you're going to go on about making Impact! great again, you should probably find a way to feature ALL your champions on the show, not just the World Champion and a quick promo that half-assedly created a title change.  Rosemary was only seen in the Hardy deal and not really acknowledged as KO champion, Moose wasn't on the show even in video package form, and the Decay was in that same promo with Rosemary, and Trevor Lee was just not on the show at all.

I thought the opening promo was pretty solid and did a pretty good job of saying "Hey, it hasn't all been shitty, we've had some great moments and now we're going to make some more", to have three more segments (Borash coming out and takings his spot at the table with a promo, Pritchard's promo, Dutch's promo) where people came out and talked about how great it used to be without saying "We've got a lot of good, young, hungry talent who we think can get us there again", it's basically setting the stage for the fact that I bet they're probably gonna go snatching up ex-WWE guys like crazy again.  I have no problem with them listing a guy's WWE credentials, but when you keep talking about another show on your show, you're just telling your viewers "We have an inferiority complex, why are you even watching this?"

Thought the show was kinda awful though production values were surprisingly good.

Was put off by two things.  First, the not-so-subtle shots at Dixie were tiresome.  As pointed out, people came out and bitched about how the previous regime pissed away the talent it had.  That was annoying, especially since it wasn't clear how things would be different, aside from someone smugly saying "things will be different,"  It'd be one thing if they had tried to get over someone now on the roster, but, nope....

Second, these tapings have two many new people just being thrown out there and too many guys who were on the roster a month ago barely being mentioned.  As said. way too many familiar faces holding title belts were missing tonight - probably to make room for the announcer's feud and Dutch on his scooter.  I feel like this trend really intensifies as the tapings go forward - not enough Decay and Trevor, too much RKK and GFW.  Jeff apparently thinks I missed Ring Ka King more than I have and I wonder how many new faces the casual fan will even recognize.  Do casual TNA fans even remember Chris Masters?

My thoughts right now are of a topical nature, and for that I'll put them in spoilers.  I held off until today to post thinking I was being too dramatic or something.  But nope, this feels right for me to say:

It's impossible for me to see this show and not draw parallels to current events.  The "Wait, they did what?!" aspect of who they brought in.  The "Let's wait and see before we judge" approach when reading spoilers.  And then the eventual "It's worse than we thought!" element when actually seeing the show.  Add to that the "Make Impact Great" tagline and the old out of touch douchebag (Prichard) and you have one helluva shitshow that seems all to familiar.

Wrestling at its core should be that bit of escapism that they always give as a reason to enjoy it.  No matter how bad things are politically or whatever else you can count on mindless stuff like wrestling to not bring that into the fold.  Even if Raw's a bad show I can still say it's a good distraction from whatever else happens in life.  So for TNA to have these parallels and to use that in their show I just can't justify watching this shit anymore.  There's way too much good wrestling to watch where I can "escape" everything and focus on that.  I just feel dirty adding to their hopefully abysmal ratings and feel it's best to just stop watching them.  If I feel so inclined I'll watch online and am open to places to get it (can suggest in private message if you like..

• Like 1

The Adamle reference in one of the posts made me feel uneasy because we now know the man was (and is) dealing with serious brain damage. Holding him up for mockery just feels cruel at this point.

22 hours ago, caley said:

I'd also like to point out that Josh Matthews quite clearly called Patron "Del Rio" during the main event when he was going for the cross-armbreaker.

Also slipped in a Cody Rhodes despite them always avoiding the Rhodes part on TV unless it's Brandi.

18 hours ago, badfish69 said:

When will this company realize that they shouldn't be fucking saying anything about WWE on the damn air? When Del Rio won the title I officially knew Jeff Jarrett was in the building.

They're never going to learn. We all know that.

On 3/10/2017 at 0:11 AM, caley said:

Borash is supposed to be the fan-favourite yet somehow he comes across like more of a prick than Josh Matthews heel announcer.  

This. Borash came off so bitter, petty and unlikeable.