[1st Rd] KOTA IBUSHI vs. HIROSHI TANAHASHI

KOTA IBUSHI vs. HIROSHI TANAHASHI  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

KOTA IBUSHI

vs. Cedric Alexander (CWC)

vs. Brian Kendrick (CWC)

See Also: the archive for DDT matches, umm... Tiger Mask W, the rest of his WWE stuff. Ibushi didn't have a lot of matches

HIROSHI TANAHASHI

vs. Naito (New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 11)

vs. Naomichi Marufuji (G1 Climax)

w/ Elgin vs. Okada/Moose (Global Wars 2016)

See Also: All his other shit that you hate because you can't how dreamy he is

Kota Ibushi, NJPW heavyweight underdog, from the last few years was one of my favorite runs of work by any wrestler ever, and he turned in some incredible performances in the CWC this past year.

But he was hamstrung by injury recovery and general wrestling statelessness during this whole period which invariably hurts him if we're really making this about the matches, and Tanahashi (even fighting his own injuries) is gonna grind out 4*+ fodder as long as he can walk and that's something we all just have to deal with. (Also, I would put the WK11 bout vs Naito and the G1 matchup with Okada over any of Ibushi's matches from the CWC.)

Tanahashi.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

See Also: the archive for DDT matches, umm... Tiger Mask W, the rest of his WWE stuff. Ibushi didn't have a lot of matches

I think the only "normal" matches he did outside of WWE were the EVOLVE 6-man tag and the match against Jiro Kuroshino in Wrestle-1. That one should be at the regular place.

All the DDT matches are crazy brawls and the Tiger Mask W matches are what they are.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

The weird thing about Ibushi for me is that I didn't feel like I liked him in the CWC matches, yet his opponents looked great and all the matches were good.  

I have him just behind Kendrick for tournament MVP.

Not sure that gets him my vote here though. This one I'll need to come back to.

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The weird thing about Ibushi for me is that I didn't feel like I liked him in the CWC matches, yet his opponents looked great and all the matches were good.  

I liked Ibushi in the CWC quite a lot, but I do agree with the premise that his opponents all ended up looking better than him.  Which is a point in his favor, if you ask me.  I mean, has Sean Maluta ever looked even a quarter that good ever again?  Cedric looked so good in that match, they sent HHH out to give him the rub (or vice versa?).  Even TJ came out of that Ibushi match looking like someone who wouldn't be a total disaster as cruiserweight champ (oops!).  Ibushi was phenomenal in that tournament, aside from fucking up that 10-count I guess, and helped a lot of guys along with himself.

Too bad he has very little else to speak of in his favor.

As for Tanahashi, I don't think he has a lot of great stuff in this period (I did really like the Naito WK match), but taking a bit of a step back from being The Ace has done his work some favors.

Tanahashi's best is better than Ibushi's limited sample size. Not having seen him WWE sort of frames that as an obvious Tanahashi vote as well.

The Ibushi/Alexander match hit on all cylinders, almost a perfect showcase of cruiserweight wrestling solidified by the closing moments of the show with Trips acknowledging the crowd's demands and signing Cedric on the spot, fuck. The CWC was great huh? On the strength of that match, the Kendrick match and his overall showing in the tournament, it's hard to vote against Ibushi. 

Cedric being turned into a simp for Alicia Fox makes me so sad

On 3/3/2017 at 6:58 PM, BL88 said:

if these two were wrestling in my bathroom i would close the door.

i vote tanahashi for time served.

If those two were wrestling in my bathroom I'd have my girlfriend come watch and tell her it's her birthday present.

Obnoxious hairdo-ace snowflake-machine that I deep-down love vs. obnoxious hairdo-ace snowflake-machine that I kayfabe hate. Tanahashi, please.

• Like 2

• RIPPA locked this topic