DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd] MARTY SCURLL vs. ROMAN REIGNS

MARTY SCURLL vs. ROMAN REIGNS  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

MARTY SCURLL

vs. Will Ospreay (WCPW)

vs. Fred Yehi (EVOLVE 4/1/16)vs. Ricochet (OTT)

Also See: BOLA, ROH, all the Euro stuff

ROMAN REIGNS

vs. Finn Balor (RAW 7/25/16)

vs. AJ Styles (Payback 2016)

vs. Rusev (Clash of the Champions 2016)

Also See; Samoa Joe, more AJ Styles (those will probably be in those guys threads). I guess the Mania match against HHH if you hate yourself

I was preparing to vote Scurll because he isn't Reigns.  He's got the cool Villain thing going on and does enough to get as far as he has.  But in the time I've seen him there's something about his wrestling that doesn't truly fit the Villain character.  He's come across as being too "cute" with some of the things he does.  I'll need to see the two linked matches to see if I'm missing something special about him.  But until then it's hard to vote for or against either guy as they both have their strengths and drawbacks.

I hate what I've seen of Scurll and feel like this is a no-brainier Reigns pick, but in the interest of participating in the spirit of this tournament, I'm gonna watch some more more Scurll shit JUST TO BE SURE before I vote.

I know I've said this before elsewhere (Maybe the ROH thread) but Scurll has way too much wacky schtick in his match for a guy who calls himself The Villain.  There's the wing-flapping, the shouted "Whoops" (as a callback to his theme), the fake vomiting after he "breaks" a guy's finger (Which is a cool spot), and the STUPID, STUPID spin he does then shouting "CHICKEN WING!"  I thought this might be a ROH thing, so I watched a couple other Scurll matches and, no, he does some of this stuff all the time.

Reigns is actually totally fun in the ring.  I've seen wrestling "insider" guys complain that his moveset is too repetitive and I go "Wow, I thought this was not a talking point anymore."

• Like 3

Scurll is actively terrible, and that finger-breaking spot is actively terrible, too. What makes it dumber is that no one really sells their fingers being broken once their match with Scurll is over, so he's basically breaking people's fingers in some shitty vacuum. Reigns is actively good, and wins this easily.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, caley said:

Reigns is actually totally fun in the ring.  I've seen wrestling "insider" guys complain that his moveset is too repetitive and I go "Wow, I thought this was not a talking point anymore."

I wouldn't call him any more repetitive than your average WWE guy.

2 minutes ago, Meltzing Pot said:

Scurll is actively terrible, and that finger-breaking spot is actively terrible, too. What makes it dumber is that no one really sells their fingers being broken once their match with Scurll is over, so he's basically breaking people's fingers in some shitty vacuum. Reigns is actively good, and wins this easily.

I had never thought about that but...yeah, that's a completely valid point.  See the recent match with Donovan Dijak where Dijak, who has never been a big "RESPECT!" guy, repeatedly tries to get Scurll to shake his hand IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH just so that there's a reason for Scurll to grab his hand and "break" his fingers later.

Marty looks good, and has a cool entrance and a great first name. But then he wrestles and nothing makes sense.

I will second/third how nonsensical the finger-breaking spot is. At least have guys tape their damn fingers up for a few weeks...is that too much to ask?

• Like 1

You folks have done a good job convincing me Scurrl's not the right vote.  I don't recall going "Oh, come on!" for Roman quite like when seeing Marty "break" a dude's fingers with no real effect from it.  Going by the points mentioned above Roman gets the vote.

57 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Marty looks good, and has a cool entrance and a great first name. But then he wrestles and nothing makes sense.

I will second/third how nonsensical the finger-breaking spot is. At least have guys tape their damn fingers up for a few weeks...is that too much to ask?

To be fair, most guys don't work more than once a month, so it could've healed in that time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Reigns is among the top ten workers in WWE, right now. 

Hmmmm...

AJ Styles
John Cena
Samoa Joe
Kevin Owens
Nakamura

At this point, I got bored trying to think up names, so I'll say that's probably true?

Voted Reigns over Scuwwww on the basis that I can't vote for a man incapable of pronouncing his own name.

Scurll is arguably the most overrated guy in wrestling now.  He was the least impressive guy in the BOLA that he won.  And for guy who calls himself a "Villain," he is shockingly incapable of actually getting heat.  Regal should slap the piss out of him for sullying the word.  Roman all day on this one.

• Like 1

Reigns. Mainly because I hate Will Ospreay and his worst opponent is Scurll, therefore I hate Scurll, too.

I had real points to make about Scurll sort of cosplaying a character instead of being one and it hurting his matches, but everyone else has covered it.

In conclusion, Will Ospreay sucks the most, Scurll sucks less but still sucks and Reigns is good at wrestling.