DVDVR Message Board

Lizmark, Alfonso Dantes y Tony Salazar vs. El Signo, El Texano y Negro Navarro (8/15/86)

Phil Schneider

• 4 weeks later...

What a fun match.  Nice to see the Misioneros, complete with a young Navarro and his receeding hairline.  This match is really fun.  Classic trios structure, some really beautiful punches and some great technico dominance segments especially Lizarks's two segments where he runs around owning the rudos and Dantes' where he kills them all with big atomic drops.  Ends to both first two falls were cool with a nice double press slam in the first and a technicos taking the second with the classic hurricanrana in the middle of the four way leg stretch.  This is one of those trios matches that's just a blast to sit back and watch, it's not the most exceptional in any particular regard maybe but cool stuff is happening all around and everything is done really well.

• 3 weeks later...

Los Misioneros aren't as frighteningly brutal in this one as Los Infernales were the last time we saw them but that's because Infernales set that bar pretty high. The beatdowns dished out by Los Misioneros de la Muerte were still pretty awesome. All three members throw great punches and had some great double and triple team moves. Where they really excelled though was in their miscommunication spots some of which were pretty complex in addition to being perfectly executed. Lizmark's crispness makes him the perfect foil for those spots. This match may be the best showcase of Lizmark's skills we've seen on this set so far. Tony Salazar, who I have been really high on every other time I've seen him, may have been the weakest worker here. A few of his bumps looked really off and I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see many of his punches, especially given how many the rudos were throwing. That being said, he was good during the finish and post match controversy. It was a pretty well done screwy finish that makes you want to see the rematch or subsequent hair match. The match as a whole was good but not great.

Well, I guess I know where Dick Togo got the idea for the skull mask he takes off before his matches now. Opening beatdown is kind of listless but los Misionarios pull off a cool triple-team submission, and then after the one-foot cover Tony Salazar protests on the apron and gets slapped right in his goddamn face. That's how you do it rudo style, folks. This looks to be more comedy-oriented with Dantes' run of atomic drops and the second-fall end with a four-way wishbone spot that Lizmark ranas into the middle of. Screwjob ending is horrible. Overall this is rather poor for the set and is gonna rank pretty low. The "brawl" at the end doesn't even have any real heat to it as they put up their dukes and dance around each other. I expected a whole lot more from one of the only two Misionarios matches on the set. One of the few saving graces is Lizmark, his work is flashy yet graceful, everything you want out of a luchador. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah, okay, I'm not even going to try to figure out which of the Misionarios is which. They all had names on their robes, but that was counterbalanced by the masks, which were, by the by, awesome. Super presence. Wiki says that these guys were huge after the Santo heart attack match, but they're totally "Naylor talking about Demolition" level cool. I now have some idea who Dantes is (thanks OJ) but I'm still probably going to get him confused with Salazar (who I should be able to recognize by now. Oh well). Oh hey, Dylan had me watch old man Nvarro vs old man Casas from earlier this year, so I've seen him at least once. And I have the "balding" clue from above (thanks Tim). So let's see if I can't stumble through this.

Well, after the initial ambush, a guy with the skull on his back was doing an awesome job of choking a guy who isn't Lizmark with his foot. That was really nasty. A guy with a skull on his back (possibly the same guy) also has a really fun back hook kick thing. I think that's Navarro. The multi-man submission is fun, and that double rocket launcher off the top on Lizmark, followed by a mean senton and the dickish pin was a good way to end it. Perfectly enjoyable rudo beatdown first fall.

Alright, what the heck is up with Salazar's face first flop selling? He gets hit in the cut and does a diving face first bump off of it. Dantes tries to fight back but.. Alright, I think Signo's the heavier of the trio and he has a great cut off where he just picks up Dantes in World's Strongest Slam position until one of his partners can run in and clobber him on the back. Ok, now the announcer is just screwing with me. I swear he just said "El Signo Uno, El Signo Dos, El Signo Tres" just when I thought I had the rudos figured out. What a jerk. Dantes charging Navarro (Or hey, maybe it's El Signo Dos) across the ring to the tecnico corner was a nice little transition moment. it's really cool seeing Lizmark do his thing. My favorite bit was when he caught a foot while on the apron getting kicked from the inside and then used it as a weapon. Signo's reaction to the dropkick was pretty funny (he had a really great punch in here too). Dantes doing almost a billy robinson backbreaker style atomic drop in his little run was fun. The 'rana pin in the middle of the Estrella is probably something that happens fairly often but this is my first time seeing it so it made me smile. Entertaining stuff.

Lizmark is very good at what he does. My favorite bit of his second romp was when the force of one guy whiffing knocked the other two over. The Texano handshake/hug/headbutt is one of my favorite things on the entire set. Stupid Salazar. Texano really ate the turnbuckle treatment well and his over the top rope bump was this slow trainwreck of pain. I really like the Misionarios rudo tactics here. They're good at controlling their parts of the match. They've worked out their side of shtick as well as Lizmark by this point. It's not as showy but it's still pretty clever and effective. I liked Texano's kooky submission hold following the double gutbuster and then he ate the punch like a king. I want to see more of him. I kind of love how the lucha guys will just stare at the partner of the guy they have a hold on and dare him to punch them. Granted, then they do which makes you wonder why they just sat there and stared them down. By this point, while this has all been enjoyable, I'm about ready for a few dives. There we go. I think Texano did that same handstand over the top bump too. I love how Signo's gimmick seems to be that he's immune to dropkicks. I would love a Zavala/Signo team, or Signo/Herodes/Zavala trio. 

Anyway, he low blows Salazar and the ref sort of waggles his finger and then Salazar catches his foot on the second try and nails him with a great low blow kick. The ref has his hand upturned and this sad, dejected expression. It's great. 

2qnmkjs.jpg

I do sort of like the revenge low blow as a finish. It lets the rudos go over but the tecnicos get sort of a moral victory. Anyway, this was fun and well worked but I'm not sure if it's going to be on the top half. There are too many other matches with too much zing. 

• 3 months later...

i loved the rudo beatdowns, but it just seemed to grind to a halt as the third fall went on. It's the third fall, you really don't need to have them circling each other before a lock-up. By then, you really should be going at it, instead of just seeming like you're still at the feeling each other out stage. That said, the double gutbusters are spectacular, but this one really felt like a match that would be fine on its own, but just won't do well with such a strong set.

• 1 month later...

Lizmark was pretty fun to watch.  The first-fall pin was surprising with the one foot.  I also liked the hug followed by a headbutt.  I thought the third fall meandered a bit.  I didn't catch the first few foul attempts at the end of the match, so I was kind of confused, but at least they replayed it five or so times.  Lizmark's dive was cool.  Overall, I don't think this will end up in my top half, although it did have some nice moments.

• 3 months later...

I thought this was a big bad of fun. The rudos had a great look to them and really pounded out the first fall. Second fall with the miscommunication amping up added a nice complex level to it. The third fall had some things I really liked (Lizmark's dive, the Salazar dropkick where he flew off) but also some stuff I didn't like.  The finish felt kind of cheap to with a nut shot occuring again. Probably a bottom half match in the end. (***1/2)

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to see a bit more matwork as we see with the stuff from recent years with Navarro etc. You shouldn't judge a match based on what you want it to be though and there's still plenty to like about it. However you can't help but get the feel that this is a middling trios you'd be able to see most weeks at Arena Mex around this time. The postmatch has a good amount of intensity to be fair but I was hoping for more.