DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd] WYATTS vs. MICHAEL ELGIN

WYATTS vs. MICHAEL ELGIN  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

• WYATTS (Bray, Orton, Harper)
    • MICHAEL ELGIN

This poll is closed to new votes

Man, do I dislike Michael Elgin.  Like really dislike.  Irrational or not, I really hate his matches.  I always feel like every Elgin match is him going "Okay, how can I hit this move to make myself look better?" and "How can I get beat but make myself look better than my opponent?"  He always feels, to me, like a guy who is only interested in making himself look big and strong and amazing, while his opponent can only get by him by sheer luck or cheating.  Genuinely dislike his wrestling.

Wyatts all the way.  Although if that sketch from this past Smackdown had fallen in the timeline, it would be a very really good reason to vote against them.  Yeesh.

5 minutes ago, caley said:

Wyatts all the way.  Although if that sketch from this past Smackdown had fallen in the timeline, it would be a very really good reason to vote against them.  Yeesh.

It is in the timeline - it occurred on Feb 28, 2017

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is in the timeline - it occurred on Feb 28, 2017

Gah! I didn't watch it until March 1st so I just assumed, in my head, that it didn't run until then.  So, by Caley's Timeline it's something to hold against them for next year.

• Like 1

Bray is cool but not keen on his wrestling as much.  I'm not sour on Orton like JT is but he's not one I care much about.  Of the three Wyatts the only one I liked was Harper.  And even then he left them near the end of the voting period.  Thankfully the AJ match happened on the 28th as well as before the wackiness it was awesome stuff.  But as long as Luke is still on his own then I'd rather just vote for him on his own next year.

That Naito match is going to be really hard to say no to for Elgin.  I don't have the issues with Elgin like Caley does, but maybe I'm not watching those moments he's referring to.  The power stuff works for him and he's been with and against some high-caliber talent.  I can fairly comfortably justify voting for him.

25 minutes ago, caley said:

Man, do I dislike Michael Elgin.  Like really dislike.  Irrational or not, I really hate his matches.  I always feel like every Elgin match is him going "Okay, how can I hit this move to make myself look better?" and "How can I get beat but make myself look better than my opponent?"  He always feels, to me, like a guy who is only interested in making himself look big and strong and amazing, while his opponent can only get by him by sheer luck or cheating.  Genuinely dislike his wrestling.

Is this indie Elgin or something?  Admittedly the vast majority of my exposure to him is through NJPW, but I've never once gotten this vibe.  At least in New Japan, his job is to be the big, strong gaijin powerhouse, and he does that pretty excellently, especially when bringing the beef NJ Sekigun needs to hang with the insurgents.  And in the last year, he lost pretty much clean (I hedge only because I can't swear to the details, but I'm fairly certain nothing major factored into any of the finishes) against at least Nakajima, EVIL, and THREE TIMES to Naito.

I love Bray Wyatt.  I really like Luke Harper and wish the WWE would let him live a little.  Randy Orton can get fucked but I don't hold that against the others.  But there's not a single match between the three of them (outside of the Elimination Chamber, but that's five guys besides Bray and a spectacle unto itself) over the last year that I would actively seek to rewatch, let alone place above the top, I don't know, ten Elgin matches from the same period.

I would love to know what others are so high on when it comes to the Wyatts as of late.

A bad matchup for Elgin, and another good example of why it's a stupid idea to put tag teams against singles guys. I'd take Elgin individually over Bray or Randy, (probably not Luke though).  But 3 guys tag team work + their respective individual work, and all their promos and gimmicks vs 1 man's solo work is not a fair comparison.

• Like 3

This is the only result so far that really baffles me. I hate to guess at motives, but maybe people are voting for the idea of Bray finally winning the belt, and what a Harper face run could have been? That is, I still like the idea of the Wyatts, but I can't recall anything I really want to watch again. And while Harper alone is better than Elgin--or almost anyone--he so rarely got to showcase that, so I can't say he had a better run. Overall, it was a year in which they mostly floundered, were suddenly a successful tag team--and then not--and now we have the nonsensical Orton turn, wasted Harper potential...

Elgin's not my favorite guy, but his best singles work blows Orton and Bray away, and Harper's peaks were so much less consistently on display. (But damn, give him Elgin's New Japan opponents, and he might win the whole thing.)

• Like 4

Despite the finish, Harper/AJ was probably the strongest match that any of the three had this year - and having been just last week, I'm sure it's helping. 

But come on, how can you vote against stuff like this?

• Like 2

Right at the end of October - which is also when Luke Harper returned. So he was in the Wyatts as long as Luke Harper was during the time period

And on that - and to go with what Beech was saying - I think a lot of folks are romanticizing Luke Harper this time period.

He only had... maybe... 5 matches worthwhile this time period. Unless folks are going to try to claim the matches against Kane were good

EDIT - Also - almost Orton's entire year was spent feuding with Bray so it is somewhat like the Cesaro/Sheamus deal

Yeah, I don't see how the Wyatts being 3 guys is a great advantage for them if one of them is dogshit (Orton) and another was out most of the year.  Shit, Bray even missed time with injury earlier in the year and the only notable thing he did before the Orton stuff was the New Day program that ended up being a pretty big disappointment.  I know the Wyatts story got hot the last couple of months, but I don't feel like there's this monolith of great work between the three of them.

I'm not a big Elgin fan at all, but he's not goddamn Randy Orton, which counts for a lot in my book.

To be fair - the most I ever cared about Randy Orton was that like 2 month period when the Wyatts were in the Tag Title picture and you had that weird moments of Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt treating Heath Slater like a legit threat.

That lasted like 3 matches but it was good

• Like 2

The Wyatts got me excited for a Randy Orton Wrestlemania match. On the last episode of SDL, Randy Orton got me unexcited for a Bray Wyatt Wrestlemania match. Luke Harper has been great but fairly limited, and most of the Wyatt Family had a tonne of downtime this year. Seems like a wash to me.

Meanwhile, Elgin has really come into his own in New Japan. He has some of the best power spots in wrestling, which is even more impressive considering he's really not all that big compared to a lot of guys. Dude is my height (short) and tosses around two grown men at the same time. That's fun!

• Like 1

I wasn't thrilled about the Orton/Wyatt stuff when it started because I thought it would cool off Orton. Yet Orton managed to elevate Wyatt and make him actually feel like the threat that he claims to be in promos.

Elgin had some good matches but put me in the camp that doesn't really care about him and probably never will.

Elgin vs. Naito is better than anything the Wyatts did as a collective by a wide margin.  I'm not shocked at this result but it does have me wondering what people dug about the Wyatts during this time period. The story line has been okay but the ring work has been not much..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicken Sandwich Carl said:

I went Elgin. Not a big fan, but he has a better body of work over the year, simple as that. I'm not real sure who his facing next round, but I will likely vote the other person.

56 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Elgin vs. Naito is better than anything the Wyatts did as a collective by a wide margin.  I'm not shocked at this result but it does have me wondering what people dug about the Wyatts during this time period. The story line has been okay but the ring work has been not much..

I agree.

I don't care about Orton, Wyatt is fine for what he is, Harper is very good, but Elgin's turned from power indy guy into actually good wrestler in New Japan with a lot of very good matches far better than anything the other 3 have put out to my tastes, so I went with Elgin.

This is an odd one, I don't get the same vibe from Elgin that caley does at all... Granted, most of my exposure has been NJPW where his role is powerhouse gaijin, which he plays perfectly. I think the Wyatts are less than the sum of their parts. If it was just Harper I'd probably vote for him, (not "probably", I would), however, Orton is one of the most irritating people in wrestling, he's like 1990s Mutoh, when he has his working shoes on he's sublime, when he's mailing it in it's just infuriating to watch because you know he's so much better than that. Bray is incredible until he gets in the ring and then he drops to just inoffensive. As long as his matches are kept short and he has someone competent to work with, he's okay but nothing to get excited about. Gotta go with Elgin in this one.

• RIPPA locked this topic