DVDVR Message Board

ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I wasn't a fan of the button mapping, either. I'm loathe to restart Skyrim on my PC, thinking that I'll try to play Link-style and fail miserably.

And yeah, the bow switching is gimped, I think, since the D-Pad stuff is so centered on standard weapons/shields. 

I'm up to 104 or 105 standard shrines, and, after a good rant at the TV, I finished Episodes in Dickstabbing, aka the One-Hit Obliterator section of the Champion's Ballad. Funny that the first Molduga I put down is the one you have to fight for Naboris. 

I think you can change the jump button. I think I did real early on, but then changed it back.

Dropping food in the fire has some uses. Knocking a ton of apples out of a tree and then setting the grass around them on fire is a satisfying way to stock up if you're too lazy to cook for real.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I had no idea you could set the grass on fire.

Hell, I just figured out you can cut down trees.

Using a fire weapon against an enemy will sometimes cause nearby grass to catch on fire, which you can use to create an updraft to glide and take slow-motion arrow shots. A good flashy move to show off with, but it's also pretty useful against some stronger enemies.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I had no idea you could set the grass on fire.

Hell, I just figured out you can cut down trees.

I did that by accident the first time. Did not notice the updraft currents. Only found out about that later. 

Cutting down trees gets you bundles you will need eventually.

I've been cutting down lots of trees and stumbled upon that old man's house. I made a spicy pepper steak and helped my daughter get to the stasis shrine, but we only have a minute of cold resistance left. I wasn't sure how we would get back alive, but she remembered we could fast travel to a tower.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 4:31 PM, Craig H said:

I've been cutting down lots of trees and stumbled upon that old man's house. I made a spicy pepper steak and helped my daughter get to the stasis shrine, but we only have a minute of cold resistance left. I wasn't sure how we would get back alive, but she remembered we could fast travel to a tower.

I quote this one because of the reference to the old man's house

I was on the quest for doing the first 4 shrines and I was like "Okay - how the fuck do I get past this cold shit?"

My son was like "Oh I just used a torch and ate lots of spicy peppers". I immediately said fuck that.

I stumbled across the old man's hut and figured out I had the shit to make the recipe he wanted to give me the warm tunic dealie. My son is so pissed right now.

So yeah - I stopped last night after I completed the 4 shrines and got the paraglider.

• Like 1

I managed to kill Ganon twice to get a good and bad ending. I think the bad ending was better. 

I did some of the DLC but decided to take a break for a bit as I played Xenoverse 2. The most heart breaking thing is when I killed two guardians simultaneously and did not get any proof. The fortunate thing at least is my oldest nephew witnessed it. 

If you burn the flowers, doesn't that burn the radish that's in the one of the flower paths? I've never tried, but I did laugh while watching my daughter get taken down to one sliver of health because that girl kept charging at Link.

Speaking of radishes, I really need to remember to take a picture of a radish and then have my slate ping me when I'm close to one. I've heard people say to do that with treasure chests, but treasure chests are literally everywhere.

BTW, how the hell do I defeat those minotaur looking dudes? They're the scariest things in this game. I read that you can use Stasis+ to freeze them, but I can't get it to work.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

If you burn the flowers, doesn't that burn the radish that's in the one of the flower paths? I've never tried, but I did laugh while watching my daughter get taken down to one sliver of health because that girl kept charging at Link.

Speaking of radishes, I really need to remember to take a picture of a radish and then have my slate ping me when I'm close to one. I've heard people say to do that with treasure chests, but treasure chests are literally everywhere.

BTW, how the hell do I defeat those minotaur looking dudes? They're the scariest things in this game. I read that you can use Stasis+ to freeze them, but I can't get it to work.

The easy answer is with a guardian arrow, but you do not get any rewards like horns or hoofs.

They are, IMO, harder fights than the 4 boss fights. 

I've only done two boss fights. The elephant one I did first and that was hard as hell until I figured it out. Even then with all the water and having to swim around it sucked. The next one was the camel and I beat that on the first try without even using Mipha's Grace. However, yeah, I run into one of those guys and they're so fucking relentless, so powerful, and take so little damage that I don't know how to beat them. I guess I could use a guardian arrow, but I was trying to save those. I even thought there was a way to cheese them and I can't even figure that out.

I didn't think your horses could die and one of the minotaur dudes hit me and my house with a powerful fire arrow and it murdered my horse.

How would she know?

"Did you eat my horse?"

"JESUS, again with the horse. You tell me, Zelda, would I have had time to cook and eat your horse while I was busy saving the world again?"

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

I've only done two boss fights. The elephant one I did first and that was hard as hell until I figured it out. Even then with all the water and having to swim around it sucked. The next one was the camel and I beat that on the first try without even using Mipha's Grace. However, yeah, I run into one of those guys and they're so fucking relentless, so powerful, and take so little damage that I don't know how to beat them. I guess I could use a guardian arrow, but I was trying to save those. I even thought there was a way to cheese them and I can't even figure that out.

I didn't think your horses could die and one of the minotaur dudes hit me and my house with a powerful fire arrow and it murdered my horse.

Yeah, Lynels are dicks. I left them for next-to-last, only farming them for parts to upgrade gear when I had absolutely nothing left to do (including the DLC Divine Beast boss battle). 

But, the one at Shatterback Point never upgrades with you (I think). You could train yourself on how to fight them with that.

The highly degenerate strategy I took was jumping at them followed by a slow-motion arrow to the face. When stunned, you can mount them - go into menu - switch to Barbarian gear if you have it - hit 5 times with strongest attack weapon before being thrown off. Aside from that, the best way to go is with a 1-handed sword & shield and Perfect Guard them. It will help you get WAY better. I also don't think I bothered until I had something in the ballpark of 60 defense.

• 2 years later...

I am still in that early part of the game where I am so fucking squishy

I knew I shouldn't have stopped and talked to the Yiga Clan lady

On 6/4/2020 at 3:08 PM, RIPPA said:

I am still in that early part of the game where I am so fucking squishy

I knew I shouldn't have stopped and talked to the Yiga Clan lady

Yeah, Breath of the Wild turns into Dark Souls pretty damn quick. Until you get beefier there's so much that can one shot you. Hell, even at 13+ hearts, being equipped with the Master Sword and Hylian Shield, you can still get one or two shotted if you come across the wrong Lynel or a Molduga. And Wizzrobes (really, anything with electricity damage). And some higher level Yiga clan dudes (they're really big and you'll only find them at their base). And getting struck by lightning.

So yeah, a lot still wipes the floor with you even as you get geared up for the end game. I mean, the final boss is way easier than some Lynels you'll fight.