DVDVR Message Board

ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm 3 beasts through (Camel, Bird, Elephant), with 12/13 heart containers to get the Master Sword. I've explored every chunk of the map at this point. I don't think there are big swaths I haven't gone through at least a little. There are a thousand subquests though.

• 2 weeks later...

Problems with the game.

1. Rain

2. Horses

It might even be the other way around. That there are something like five quests centered around horses is just moronic considering how useless they are in a game that's primarily about climbing and gliding and where you need to be constantly picking up resources. 

LOZ 1 was the first Nintendo game I ever beat. I played about 2 hours last night and fell to my death twice just trying to climb down from the Great Plateau Tower, because you have to get on the right bloody pixel to hit A, apparently. This is a game about a fucking elf fighting a fucking pig. Why does basic shit have to be "Ken Burns presents 'Hyrule'?"

"October 2, 1863. Ganon's villainy was on display last night. He ambushed our camp in the night and smote my cock with repeated lightning strikes. I guess that's why they have to keep resurrecting me over and over, because now Zelda and I can't make babies."

This is precisely why Dark Souls fans are people I want nothing to do with.

If it's a game full of this stuff, it isn't fun; it's just trading the tedium of life for the tedium of something else.

No, I mean Dark Souls' annoying reliance on tedium as "quality gameplay". Here's all the crap you have to scavenge, here's the same fight that respawns that you have to fight the same way each time, here's this otherwise straightforward task that is now Ghosts & Goblins-hard because hey wouldn't scaling a wall be really difficult in real life, right.

Seriously, fuck ALL that shit. I was happy to fire up Cheat Engine, give myself 500k HP, and hack down Sif with my starting weapon out of the gate, just to lift a giant middle finger to all the people I knew who shot their loads on their stomachs over that fucking game. And then I never played it again. Waste of $5 on Steam.

Anyway, I just got the glider and moved toward Kakariko. Still don't know what to make of it. I don't need a $400 Resource Manager app. Just don't. And the puzzle shrines are cute, and maybe I'd get more out of them if I were playing handheld and saw the little quirks built into how it plays as that system, but I'm still waiting for this to impress me.