DVDVR Message Board

ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/20/2017 at 8:22 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

I just met Impa and I am very bad at this. Having trouble with the "don't fight anything you can avoid because you have to preserve weapons" bit.

this is also hard for me. I'm usually of the desire to slaughter every enemy i can see.

i balance out my conservative BotW plaing with Hyrule Warriors to satisfy my bloodlust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I think is really neat about this game, though, is while you can certainly stack up a lot of hearts, each region has its own special gear that you have to wear to survive, and they all start at the basic defense stat level, meaning you kinda get busted back down to whatever level they want you to be on, at least to start with.

Finding Hateno Tower for a second time has proven frustratingly hard.  I have it pinned, I went there and found out there's no way to get to the first rest stop without a stamina upgrade, and I went to Hateno Village and the accompanying research site.  But now that I could actually find it, I am having the god damnedest time actually getting to the base of the tower.

Oh, I got ya. I thought you meant there was something stopping you. Luckily, when I started, I put more into the stamina wheel than extra hearts. So, by playing circuitiously, I have cleared all the towers and have a whole map.

now trying to do the gut check challenge. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to now be able to go toe to toe with guardians. Master sword, ancient armor, 14 hearts.  

Done all the Dragon scales. Still need to clear out the Yaga HQ and I will be ready to take on the remaining divine beasts.

I just passed 104 shrines, by making my first trip inside the castle. Also found a bunch of royal guard stuff to sell to the guy asking for it. Was going to look for my last memory (the one in the castle) but decided to warp out to get sleep and sell some gems. 

Did that shrine mission in the dark. What a pain.

Finished tonight. 108 Shrines. Boss fight took a while as I did not bother to make food or potions nor buy more than 10 ancient arrows. 

Wanted to finish before Mario arrives later in the week. 

Will prob go back later and get the DLC stuff. 

• 1 month later...

Well I was excited to finally play the real DLC shit that finally came out today.   Then I played it.  First goddamned thing is a big protracted deal where one hit kills you and you have to use this crappy fork weapon.   I'm just getting my bearings back 8 months after beating it and they're already busting my balls here.  I avoided all that challenge trial shit for a reason cocksuckers.

Beat it.  It's OK.  This all would've been a million times better if I hadn't already beaten the game 8 months ago.  This DLC also reminded me that I really have no idea how the hell the water and thunder blight battles work.  I beat 'em then and now and still don't really understand how.  They mostly are trying to mitigate how powerful and well stocked you are by this point.  I have no reason to play this game ever again now.

GOOD:

Cryonis actually gets some use in the new shrines.

Giant flame talus was kinda cool.  Still just asset reuse.

extra boss fight is an actual quasi-unique boss fight.

didn't require me to look anything up on the internet

found 4 korok seeds

BAD:

fly through the rings ad nauseam

boss refights, now with restricted inventory

new divine beast isn't a big mechanical animal, it's just a warehouse with 4 rooms that rotates in two directions.

tedious 1 hit death opening hour where you're just clearing the same old boring enemy camps you avoided after the first ten hours.

extra shrines have hidden treasure chests that have 99% junk weapons that you don't want and can't carry!  I found 1 diamond.

motorcycle is the big reward and it's been shown in all the media for it so who cares.  Also, it sounds like a shitty little BMX bike.  It's just another horse you won't use.

You can get one final spirit orb upgrade but you still can't get that second row of hearts all the way filled.

all the shrines are preparing you for a dungeon that doesn't happen at the end of the game.  We are studying and there is no final test.  Just that shitty ganon fight.

I’m finally doing the island quest and so annoyed that you start all the way over if you get killed. Happened twice fighting the hixon. Very annoying that during the fight, a thunderstorm started and I got hit by lightning, taking away a bunch of my health.