DVDVR Message Board

ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD DISCUSSION

RIPPA

hit the 50 shrine mark yesterday after not playing for over a month. Also knocked off the Rito divine beast, my first. Now to double back and finish up the other two i started but never completed.

• 2 weeks later...

This game is prettay, prettay...prettay good. 

I think that I like locating shrines using the Sheikah slate more than I like actually playing through the shrines (of which I have somehow completed 62 in two weeks of gameplay - and I haven't played every day, either). 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my "light" playthrough a few weeks ago, anytime I know I am going to play a game twice I like to go through the first time and not do literally everything as then I wouldn't have stuff to do the second time. I also don't look up information online in these cases, so obviously I missed some stuff that now I know about. I figure once all the DLC comes out I'll start a new game and by then it will feel quite fresh again. If nothing else I have a lot of side missions to do and I think I only found about 65 shrines.

I beat this with all 120 shrines last night. Stumbled onto the Hyrule Castle one by accident while trying to find the kitchen.

It is a good game! Now that I can see how many side quests I have, I'm dicking around and finishing some of those. I found and registered the giant horse and Zelda's horse, but I can't locate the Staalhorse.

It is also the only meat game I have for Switch, so I will probably stick with it, upgrade armor, and so forth.

• 2 weeks later...

The DLC will be out on June 30th, here is a trailer for it:

I think it looks really cool but I am still going to wait until the fall and do a replay once all the DLC is out. My backlog is huge so there isn't a real rush, even though it is tempting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've somehow played 240 hours over the past four months or so. I have finished all side quests and killed all Taluses, Hynoxes, and Moldugas. I also finished the first DLC completely. I think I'm done until December. I'm going to go back and beat Ganon one more time just for kicks and then put it down and go back to Horizon for my "shoot a bow and collect shit" fix now that there's an Ultrahard mode and two more trophies. 

I got 501 Korok seeds without really trying; there is no way I'm finding four hundred more of those bastards on purpose, even with the Korok mask. 

• Like 1

about 80 hours in. just finished the last divine beast, and up to 87 shrines. planning on hitting 100 then taking on Ganon.

this is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time. top 5 for sure, i'm thinking #3 but we will see what i think after i've completed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah.  I honestly made it through most of the game without cooking.  I only really started towards the end when I needed all the "full health + attack/bonus hearts" for hunting Lynels and Ganon.

The smartest thing you can do is mine ore every time you come across it so you always have enough money to buy the elemental armor you need in every new area.  That way you don't have to waste time cooking up elemental elixirs and whatnot.

I don't want to spoil anything, I found it myself in the game but once I finished and read some guides it seems to be a 'trick' everyone uses. Anyway, there is at least one incredibly useful food that can be cooked that was somewhat critical to me beating the game, although I did go 90% of the game without cooking. I never made anything to combat cold, heat, etc. but having food that would give me lots of life was helpful.

Made it to Zara's domain tonight. I may have taken the road less traveled to get there, by climbing mountains and gliding down, rather than sticking to the path. I have to get the shock arrows and then take on my first divine beast.