DVDVR Message Board

ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Figuring out the timing on parrying Guardians has changed the game. No longer will poor little Link be victimized. 

I may be 40 hours in at this point. Still haven't done a dungeon. Collecting Shrines and just exploring has been so much more fun than I was expecting. 

How far are y'all?

I'm going to the last of the 120 fucking shrines, getting one last piece of armor from Gerudo, and leveling up the armor I want to use for Ganon and then I'm heading to Hyrule Castle to FINISH THIS. What a great got damn game. 120 shrines can be a little overkill at times but a lot of them are pretty fun. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post (not that sorry).

For those contemplating going through the trouble of clearing all 120 shrines, I think it's TOTALLY worth it because I'm a nerd. This is obviously beyond maxing out either health or stamina and nearly maxing out whichever of those two you didn't choose to max out.

Spoiler

The monks gift you the classic green and brown Link costume. HOWEVER, upgrading them to where they're as good as your more powerful armor sets is a bitch because you need to farm scales from each of the three dragons.

Apparently, you can unlock the items in the spoiler if you have an amiibo.

Spoiler

I think I'm at 60 shrines or so. I'm avoiding looking at any guides, so I've got no doubt that even finding them all will be a challenge. Theres also a handful that I've found, but haven't figured out yet. 

All in all, I think the puzzle shrines are my favorite part of the game. 

Least favorite? Rain. Good god, the rain. Seemingly every time I have something to climb!

• Like 1

been on overtime at work the last two weeks, which severely cut into my Zelda playing.

that said, i've completed 35 shrines and stopped two of the divine beasts (but haven't solved either of their puzzles/beat their bosses yet)

It's strange how challenging two of the beasts are compared to how easy the bird one was. The camel and elephant really made me think through the puzzle but the bird and, to a lesser degree, the iguana beasts were relatively simple. Definitely start with the Rito bird imo. 

Just to give an idea of how massive the map is... I'd gone through all 120 shrines, obviously unlocked all of the map, defeated the 4 beasts and was about to head off to Hyrule Castle when I realized I hadn't even touched the part of the game where you buy a house and build up a town. Then there were some special horses I hadn't come across that I wanted to try out before finishing up. It's been like a 3 or 4 day period of just trying to make sure I've done all the cool shit (no way am I doing all of the Korok seeds!) before wrapping up.

Wondering what the most popular "order" is in this game. I wound up initially exploring the relatively beast-less southeastern part of the map and then did the Zora dungeon/elephant beast first, and I'm about to start the Goron/iguana. Am I doing it wrong? I've beat *almost* every Zelda before this so I didn't find my first beast to be a huge challenge - killing that Lynel with the shock arrows, however...

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Wondering what the most popular "order" is in this game. I wound up initially exploring the relatively beast-less southeastern part of the map and then did the Zora dungeon/elephant beast first, and I'm about to start the Goron/iguana. Am I doing it wrong? I've beat *almost* every Zelda before this so I didn't find my first beast to be a huge challenge - killing that Lynel with the shock arrows, however...

Ha you killed him? I just stealthed around him, I figured the way the map was laid out/his path was done that I was supposed to just sneak around and take the arrows after he walked by.

I did Zora first also, haven't even made it to the second one yet. I am going pretty slowly (and also ended up in the SE first), I don't think there is a right way although I did think it heavily hinted that Zora should be first by having someone constantly popping up to tell you to go there. I need to start heading towards a second beast soon or I'll never beat the damn game.

Yeah, the Rito one is great to unlock early as it makes exploration so much easier. The Zora beast is good if you're putting a lot of the shrine orbs (SPIRIT FUN BUX) into stamina, which is probably the way to go about it, as it will help bail you out when you get low on hearts but takes forever to recharge.

I beat the game after getting frustrated with upgrading the armor I wanted to use... Finding those star fragments are a pain in the ass. I spent at least an hour trying the trick that's on youtube but it didn't work for me. Anyway, the ending was so satisfactory. Just felt like a classic Zelda game, a classic game period. Ganon wasn't quite as tough as I was thinking but getting to him isn't easy and there are some fantastic visuals on the way there.

One of the best games I've ever played and I can't recommend it enough. It's a shame there aren't a bunch of cheap Wii Us available for people to experience this without having to drop all that money on a new Switch to play this game. On the Wii U, I definitely noticed some big frame rate drops but they were so few and far between it didn't really matter. The graphics are a bit nicer on Switch and I'd imagine the draw distance is better but for a Wii U game this looks fantastic. 

• Like 2

Beat it last night.  Pretty fucking good. Castle and Ganon were kinda lame.  91 shrines and 189 seeds.  I was thinking there was going to be like, 300 seeds but no.  Other than that first big ass night where I got super drunk and played it for 13 hours straight where I had to look up how to control the divine beast from the map..  Went through the whole goddamned thing without knowing shit or getting actually stuck.  Boomerangs stunk.  Longest lasting sword I had in the game was Scimitar of the Seven.  Hardest enemy was that silver lynel I didn't even have to beat out in a corner tower at the castle.  You get 4 ancient arrows, but y'gotta blow through 3 swords and keep quaffin' just to stay alive.  I was gonna go for upgrading the hero tunic and got 1 shard of the dragon's horn.  Then, the next time I went for it my goddamned arrows went right through it and I just said "fuck it" and beat the game.  Got all the memories.  I thought the hardest one was going to be that nondescript forest one with no discernible landmarks.  Nope.  None of 'em were hard if you were actually looking for them.  Hated finding test of strength shrines and was mildly disappointed by blessing ones.  I beat the desert labyrinth by just dropping in and lucking out.  The other two I just kinda gave a half-assed attempt and then moved on after about 15 minutes.  First divine beast I did (mammoth) was awesome.  Great lead up, the whole schmear.  Then you do another one and the formula is apparent.  Boils down to figuring out where the little ATM is and then Dancin' on the Ceiling.

How the fuck do I get this golden ball in Impa's house?  Give me that marble rye you old bag.

Played a shit-ton of it handheld at work.  Focused on just kinda lawnmowin' shit that I wouldn't've done at home.

Console review.  When I tried tabletop mode the first thing I noticed was kickstand stinks.  There's only one angle.  It was better just kinda laying on my sockhat.  Split controller is super comfortable and you can just kinda hunch over like yer trying to beat Jackal on an old portable 5" black and white tv. 

Sound is great too.  When ye get those korok hide 'n' seek flowers you can really follow your ear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, assfax said:

How the fuck do I get this golden ball in Impa's house?  Give me that marble rye you old bag.

Spoiler

You need to do the three side quests for the villagers before that stuff kicks into action. There's a lady wanting to see fireflies indoors, one of the men lost his chickens, and you need a picture of the fairy location for the painter.

28 minutes ago, assfax said:

See, I never even seen that bug lady.

Me neither. I'll have to hunt around for her.

Beat my first Legendary Beast this weekend. Trying to find the gear that'll let me head to Death Mountain, as it's the only part of the map I've barely explored. 

Also did the main thing in Hatenow Village. Gotta follow through on the associated quest line.

Man, this is the first game in a long, long time that I think about even when I'm not playing it.

Biggest exploit I discovered was using a shitty fire rod with the warm doublet when sniffing around them there icy mountains.  You can even slowly melt icebergs just by standing near them.  

Also forgot to bitch about the king sounding like a 28 year old guy trying to do a Shakespearean Keith David gravitas type deal.  No.

I also was worried how to start a second playthrough without getting rid of my clear game.  Make a new profile.  I don't wanna get burnt with how the DLC shit will be integrated.  I'm fixing to dip back in tonight.  Now that I'm not all tip-toeing around shit I'm just going to plow through Eventide Island.  When I first hit it, 7AM was nearby and I was kinda offput by getting dragged into an extended deal.  This is a game where I ordered the official guidebook after I beat it.  It better have real good printed maps showing everything because right now I'm just avoiding using the internet for most shit out of habit.  My Zelda spoiler discipline was pretty goddamned heroic.  I deleted Giant Bomb and Neogaf and only checked out Fire Pro World shit for this entire month.  I was never worried about story shit but I went in not even knowing about how the dungeons worked.

That main Kakariko thing even after I know what the fuck I'm doing  just kinda came to a standstill with material requirements that wouldn't cooperate.  Then, as soon as I bend it to my will it's over.  I've never found the shiekah sensor plus to be worth a shit for tiny bugs and lizards. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at ~90 shrines and two Divine Beasts (bird and elephant) down. Played 80-ish hours and I'm still loving every single second of this game. I need to farm some gems so I can build up my rupee count. Fairy fountains get friggin' expensive.

• Like 1

I'm down to the last 3 shrines and I know exactly where they are.  Two mazes and I'm going to do Eventide Island last.  

Tip for those  trickier apparatus shrines:  detach both controllers and just spin the right one.

Got the guidebook and realized there was a type of Korok puzzle I did not even know about.  I'm not enthusiastic about trying to find all of them.  I do have the giant fold out map though.   I could slowly mow the lawn.  I did that feather shit on Assassins Creed 2 and none of those were fun or memorable.

I had to laugh that in March, 906,000 Switches were sold in the United States along with 925,000 copies of Zelda. That's a hell of an attach rate. Combination of people buying multiple copies and people that purchased the game but still have no Switch. Or purchased the Switch from another country.

Beat it with all the shrines completed. I'll go back and knock out the side quests once I clear up my backlog of three-quarters completed Japanese 100+ hour epics - having BotW, Yakuza 5, Pokemon Sun AND Dragon Quest VII (dear lord) going at the same time was a bad idea.

Really liked the Gerudo region, wish I hadn't done it last. Looking for every treasure chest in Hyrule Castle was admittedly more fun than the final boss. The high point of the game? Eventide. Easily.

• 3 weeks later...

The game was patched this week with multiple language options, for those into that sort of thing.

They also officially announced more details about the first DLC package out summer. The Trial of the Sword sounds great, really looking forward to that as I enjoyed the combat more than the puzzles (the puzzles were fine, I am just not much of a puzzle guy). It updates the Master Sword, which will come in handy for hard mode.

Hard Mode unfortunately isn't as cool as I was hoping, as basically it just makes the enemies tougher. Past Zelda games did a bit more with their Hard Modes so I was hoping it would be more involved. But it will lead to this (notice those aren't balloons):

03_hardmode.jpg

The Hero's Path sounds really cool, basically it traces the last 200 hours of where you walked with Link. Besides it being a neat visual, it also can help show if there are parts of the map you never walked to find seeds and shrines. More 'something cute' than over the top useful, but probably fun to look at.

There are other things too, like a bunch of new armor. I thought the summer DLC would be the smaller of the two while they build up the bigger one this fall (which will add a dungeon), so I think its a pretty solid deal. I just wish the Hard Mode was more creative.

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The Hero's Path sounds really cool, basically it traces the last 200 hours of where you walked with Link. Besides it being a neat visual, it also can help show if there are parts of the map you never walked to find seeds and shrines. More 'something cute' than over the top useful, but probably fun to look at.

I am... torn on this.  On one hand, it is swell.  On the other hand, if it is as they say and works retroactively it points towards DLC practices that feel a bit sketchy.  It would be hard to say for sure before it is released but it suggests that at least a significant portion of it is already in the game and has been since launch, with it being locked out until one pays for it.  That is bad if true.  It is also possible that the way the game automatically saves every so often results in a permanent record of the locations at those times, and they found out after the fact that you could make it into a map tracker at a later date.

I'd be more comfortable if that feature was in a free patch and the rest had to be paid for.