DVDVR Message Board

ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Okay - the Zelda chit-chat is outbreaking across multiple threads so it is probably time it has it's own thread

Here is something to start you off with

Well, holy crapola that's high praise for this.  As if we weren't excited enough to play this.

Oh, the places we'll go...with Breath of the Wild in hand.  And on top of that I get out of work early tomorrow so between that and the weekend there's ample time to dive into this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, holy crapola that's high praise for this.  As if we weren't excited enough to play this.

Oh, the places we'll go...with Breath of the Wild in hand.  And on top of that I get out of work early tomorrow so between that and the weekend there's ample time to dive into this.

Enjoy, fella.

• Like 1

Yeah, Kotaku says that Breath Of The Wild is on track to be the best reviewed game ever made and with good reason.

The creators of Zelda didn't just break the mold for this new game; they pretty much tossed it into the garbage.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, Kotaku says that Breath Of The Wild is on track to be the best reviewed game ever made and with good reason.

The creators of Zelda didn't just break the mold for this new game; they pretty much tossed it into the garbage.

Actually, it looks like Aonuma played Red Dead and GTA and Skyrim and then figured out how to infuse Zelda with elements of each of those games.

Which doesn't take away from Aonuma's brilliance, mind you. He is dragging Nintendo's game design into the 21st Century and making insta-classics while he does it.

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Actually, it looks like Aonuma played Red Dead and GTA and Skyrim and then figured out how to infuse Zelda with elements of each of those games.

Goddamnit why can't there be a Pikmin or Animal Crossing release game so I could talk the lady into us getting a Switch tomorrow??

All the perfect scores in fun visual form: 

C57zTLKU8AA2SOb.jpg

• Like 2

That image above has me in complete awe.  When it comes to reviews there's always that one site that will try and be "that guy" and not give it the score it deserves.  Looking at the sites in that a lot of them had moments of being "that guy"  But for them all to give it perfect scores?  Holy moly, what kind of magically wonderful game are we getting here?  Well-done, Nintendo, well F'n done.

• Like 1

So, initial impressions:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

The combat has a real nice balance and fluidity to it. The world is stunning even on the Wii U (though there are a few frame rate drops). I'm a happy camper.

Link pulling off a stealth kill and critical headshots with bow and arrow is pretty surprising and neat.

• Like 1

Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look when it got posted and, after looking to see if there were any major hiccups being reported on the WiiU version, bought it yesterday. 

Put around 90 minutes into it and had to quit, fearing that I'd stay up all night. It has the hooks of something like Skyrim for me, with the added bonus of Nintendo polish and an art style that just resonates more with me. I'll be pumping a lot of time into this one. 

On 3/2/2017 at 5:49 AM, RIPPA said:

Okay - the Zelda chit-chat is outbreaking across multiple threads so it is probably time it has it's own thread

Here is something to start you off with

I'd hardly call most of these rule breaks.  Such a click bait headline.  

Welp, this is my life now. I haven't binged a game this hard in ages. Once I had some freedom I just started flying around like a fool, finding overworld bosses I'm barely equipped for and cooking strange dishes just because and I even have a HORSE named DUMP-A-LING. Gaming has peaked.

• Like 2

Pretty much been putting all my free time into this. It really is one of the best and needs to be played. I spent a lot of the time after doing the initial little quest to unlock free roam just finding all of the towers to see how truly gigantic the map is. So many little things you'll find roaming. 

This game is fucking horrible, I can't believe anyone would like this trash, it's just a rip-off of Yakuza 6 mixed with GTA 5 mixed with Disgaea 4 mixed with Typing of the Dead mixed with the Cho-Aniki series! Now, if only I could play it.

I have no beef with Fresh and as far as I know, he doesn't have one with me.  I just think it is funny that he doesn't realize that I save my ridicule for the people I give a shit about and don't really say anything to the people I don't.

When I make fun of him, it is actually a ringing endorsement.