[1st Rd] ZACK SABRE JR vs. L.A. PARK

ZACK SABRE JR vs. L.A. PARK  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

ZACK SABRE JR

vs. Ken Broadway (HOG 10/21/16)

vs. Jurn Simmons (wXw 8/13/16)

See also - BOLA 2016, all the UK stuff I can't link too (for, in theory, good ZSJ). Anything CWC related for "bad" ZSJ

L.A. PARK

vs, Caristico (Cage Match - 10/22/16)

vs. Masada

See also - the Rush match which is in the Rush thread

Sabre had some nice tags in Evolve where he held his own and any time he interacted with Hero was great, but to me he's still pretty bad when his opponent dosen't force him out of his comfort zone. On the other hand LA Park is always worth watching, even if the matches he's in aren't, plus Park-Rush was the most fun I've had watching wrestling last year.

9 minutes ago, PolishHammer said:

Sabre had some nice tags in Evolve where he held his own and any time he interacted with Hero was great, but to me he's still pretty bad when his opponent dosen't force him out of his comfort zone.

So, I agree that he flourishes in stuff against much bigger guys (the Keith Lee match last month for example), but I think there are a few matches in the time frame where people go hard with him on the mat (see Gulak at Evolve 73 or Jon Gresham in Beyond throughout the year) that can produce equally great matches. It's the stuff in between that often falls short.

It feels incredibly wrong to vote for a British indy guy against LA Park, but I didn't love most of the Rush stuff as much as everyone else did, and Sabre really won me over by the end of last month and had such a high quantity good matches. 

I like L.A. Park just fine and voted for him, but I don't necessarily hate ZSJ.  He can do a lot of cool things, but he really needs to know when to do them so they matter more.  I appreciate matches where he has to bring the intensity more or find a way to try and take out big men (the respective Hero and Keith Lee matches, for example)  But I'm hoping people will look more favorably at the guy for next year.

40 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But I'm hoping people will look more favorably at the guy for next year.

I agree with this. When he works as a limber underdog, scrambling for limbs and survival, he can be really enjoyable. When he drifts nearer to conventional strong style aping, with excessive finisher kickouts and strike exchanges... well, his uppercuts just don't look very good, and he has the musculature of half the guys I ran cross country with. But I honestly enjoy him more often than not. Even in the CWC, I didn't find his no selling any more egregious than half the guys in the tournament; and while his grappling can be non-combative and spot-festy in its way, at least its a variation on the usual dives and loosely choreographed matwork. 

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic