DVDVR Message Board

Sangre Chicana vs. Perro Aguayo (2/28/86)

Phil Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

God damn what a match.  Perro's extended beatdown of Chicana is just about MS1 level and no one takes a beating better than Chicana.  Sangre's two abortive comebacks off big punches ruled and made the real comeback all the better.  Third fall is a total war, big punches, awesome run of near falls, wild dives and crowd brawling.  This is one match where they just launched themselves back into the second and third rows off dives and then fought into them.  This feels like a total war by the end and the finish is fantastic, Perro looks ready to just keep killing Chicana with body slams until Chicana is finally out for good but Chicana turns on into a roll up and the crowd explodes, a little kid in the first row is jumping for joy and it's one of the best post-match crowd mobbings of the ring I've seen.  Top 10 level.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great entrance as Perro's wearing his giant sombrero. Crowd heat is already molten. Perro jumps Chicana before he can even get in the ring and these guys are just duking it out. The ref is desperately trying to get some order but they continue to throw haymakers at each other. Perro posts Chicana and beats him with a box, then wraps his fist in a towel and punches him more. Then he actually rips off the Corona baseboards to use as a weapon! Holy shit. Finally Perro flies into the post and out of the ring and Chicana gets some payback. Great suspense with a faked foule and a missed senton before Chicana hits his 1000 MPH tope. Then they trade nearfalls for an hour and after the final rollup, I shit you not, the ENTIRE ARENA floods to ringside. No cueballing shown, and this was a little long in the tooth, but what a match. 

First of all, this is a great handheld. There's a great view of the action all around ringside and oh boy, they use the area around the ring really well. The noise from the crowd is pretty clear as well which helps the big match atmosphere. Plus, there are one or two clips but they don't seem to cut out much. This feels like a huge match. Part of it is the crowd which is pretty loud throughout this match. That kid at ringside is a blast to watch as well. Not only does he have a great post match celebration of his own but he has a few moments during the match where he can't contain how much he hates Perro and it is hilarious. The other reason this feels huge is that these are two of the most expressive and charismatic wrestlers ever. Their physical charisma is still palpable from our bird's eye view in the stands. Their singles match as part of that 4 way elimination match only hints at this one. There are some incredible strike exchanges that work because they are simple and drawn out so that every strike is milked for ever bit of drama they could possibly hold. The dives were all really impressive and each one was better than the last. The sequence after that final dive where they are brawling in the seats is epic. Epic is probably the best word to describe this one, from the amount of ground they cover brawling around the ringside area and in the crowd to the huge nearfalls during the final fall. I think with a few minutes trimmed off of this match we may have had a contender for the top spot. There were brief moments sprinkled throughout this match that felt a tad repetitive but it's still a great match and one that will probably still finish super high on my ballot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back to lucha watching. I've been looking forward to seeing this match for about a week and a half.

Ha. That awesome sombrero and vest. Poor frigging Chicana. Perro just unloads on him as he's trying to get into the ring. He's learned by now though and is ready to fire back. Perro is in some ways the most forgiving non-masked guy on the set. Cota helps us by missing a few fingers, but Pero's boots are a much easier indicator. Chicana is pissed off outside and for good reason. He refuses to come back in and draws Perro out. They're just pounding on each other out in the crowd as the ref desperately tries to get order. Is the crowd chanting PERRO? God, Aguayo's selling of some of the punches is so awesome, and of course Chicana is just as good if not better. What the hell did Perro just hit him over the head with? Was that like a carton for oranges or something? Perro hits a boss headbutt on the outside and rolls in to the adulation of the crowd. Chicana rolls back in and it's more mauling for him including what I'm happy to call Axe Bombers. He eats a nasty senton and that's the first fall. Usually I'm hyped for his comeback but watching Perro demolish him as the crowd cheers on is just so much fun.

What the hell is he doing with that towel? Oh, he's rabbit punching Chicana in the back of the head with it. The jerk. What a great way to do punches. They still look good and the logic is sort of there when it comes to concussive force, but it has to hurt less all around. It's a great visual though. Oh, there's the bell for the second fall to start. More awesome terrible towel punches and a few awesome regular ones too. Hey! the Corona baseboard! This is in my top 3 automatically if he piledrives him on it. I will settle for the slam. This match needs a bewildered and frankly bemused Lance Russell calling it. There's a great sense of "How the hell will Chicana possibly come back here?" Now what the heck are they chanting? Are they chanting for Chicana now? I feel like an old lady trying to make sense of this. 

I am going to say they are because it makes the comeback punch and the pop it gets all the better. This time, though, the ref holds him back for a second and Perro is able to strike back. I love that the comeback punch was just a hope spot here and that Perro follows it up by just guzzling Chicana with his knee in the corner for a minute basically making the statement that "There will be none of that here." Chicana's just a force of nature though and he fires with a second comeback punch, only to get hung up by the ref again. Perro tosses him into the corner but Chicana moves at the last second, leading to a posting and a roll out of the ring. You got the feeling there that Perro was so wary of the comeback punch that he got a little desperate on offense and made a mistake. Yeah, they're definitely chanting for Chicana now and as Perro rolls back in, he gets nailed. The ref, of course, warns against the punch because in a match with a box, towel, and the Corona sign, Chicana's punch is the most deadly weapon by far. One more knocks Perro for a loop and Chicana locks on a quick submission for the fall. It wasn't as primal the comebacks in the other two relevant matches but it was a slightly more clever and the crowd was totally behind it. 

Third fall starts with Perro egging on Chicana only to get punched. He comes right back with a nasty Eme Kick and again the difference between this and a lot of "you hit me, I hit you" stuff that I have no use for is in the selling, both immediate and especially in the case of Chicana, long term. When Chicana goes for a pin after another haymaker, I almost forgot that they were trying to win and not just kill each other. It's a nice little near fall followed by maybe the best punch yet in the match. The way they're selling, they make even a whip into the corner look like death. Perro comes back with another nasty kick and a weirdly dissonant small package for two, followed by a huge front dropkick. He locks on a submission and they're awesome at working it with Chicana slowly turning it around so that they both fall. Chicana rolls over for the near fall but Perro has the advantage, which he uses to get yelled at by the awesome kid in the front row and fanned by his second. He finally unloads with another great clothesline knocking Chicana out of the ring, followed by a great dive and more fanning. He picks up a guard rail (or is it the Corona sign again? No wait, its a row of chairs) meaning to kill Chicana, but here comes the comeback punch again! The way Chicana's body is just sort of locked in this twisted position after the lunch is amazing. There's nothing else like it in wrestling. Nothing. They head back in and Perro, again recovering first, gets him into a nasty arm wrenching submission with his head between his legs, like a pile driver set up, as the fans chant for Chicana more. Chicana lifts his head up for a massive low blow and the ref seems to be letting it go as Perro's second cries foul. The fans are just constant noise here. Chicana goes for a pin, but Perro kicks out and  recovers more quickly than Chicana again. He slams him and misses a top rope somersault senton, but kicks out at two during the subsequent pin. This time, Chicana recovers first and dropkicks Perro out so that he can hit a huge dive of his own. Both guys are in and selling like death. We get a little cut here ending with Chicana kicking out of a pin. Perro's up first and hits another bomb of a clothesline before slapping on a pretty elevated Boston crab. After some drama Chicana reverses it into a pin and then Perro reverses it into a pin of his own and this is great. One thing about the super slow counts is that there are times where you think that no way could this end a match, but given how slow the count is, when it hits about two, you start to wonder. It's like that for both Perro's next deep roll through pin and Chicana's sunset flip that follows, and even more so for the slow, deliberate one that follows that. 

Perro finally locks on a camel clutch in the middle of the ring, but can't put him away with it. Both guys are selling this match so well. Perro's just laid out, totally prone, dead to the world. It's the selling, more than the great strikes or well timed near falls or blood and guts that really makes Chicana's matches. Finally they get up and he punches Chicana out before hitting another dive right into another linked row of chairs. They're in the crowd staring each other down, pushing each other, and as Perro tries to go back into the ring, Chicana tosses him down. They roll back in for another two count on Perro. I just want to go on and on about the selling more. Geez. They finally go toe to toe again (or fist to fist as it was) until both guys are staggered and Perro hits another one of those horizontal dropkicks for another excruciating two count. There's a lot of them rolling on top of each other not even after a move, but after a kick out or a submission escape and it's completely believable since they're selling it all so well.  I'm amazed they're still going. Perro puts on a stump puller but Chicana gets to the ropes. Chicana goes for the submission he won the second fall with but Perro stops him. Both guys get up at the same time, struggling to even stand and then Perro just bolts across the ring and kills him with the best clothesline yet and a king sized pile driver. Chicana's foot lands on the rope though so he has to try to pin him again and that allows for the kick out. He tries to pile drive him again but Chicana back body drops Perro, which is followed by probably the most excruciating small package of all. 

Perro's up first and hits a slam and a senton for a two count followed by a scoop powerslam for another two count and a third slam for a two count. He goes for a fourth and Chicana turns it into another small package and this time gets the three count. 

I've seen the MS-1 vs Chicana match maybe 3 times now. I'm going to have to see this again a couple of times to really figure out which one's better. That's how good this was. It wasn't as minimalist but I think most of what they included was very well done and the selling was off the charts amazing. I think the big question is whether or not the third fall went too long. I think the selling here was so good that I bought into it more than I have almost any other third fall in the set and a lot of the repetition actually built to the finish. I'll really need to see it again though.

• 2 months later...

I think this is going to slide into #1 at this point for me.

Very few guys get their ass kicked as well as Chicana.  Even better than that is his comeback.  The second fall is just a master class on how to milk a comeback.  Chicana hits his big left, crowd goes nuts, Perro keeps the advantage, rinse, repeat.  Just works so well.

Third fall has some crazy, hurty dives.   Then they go for the finish.  That part goes on for a while, but never gets dull.  Crowd loses their shit for the finish.  

I consider MS-1/Chicana to be one of the best wrestling matches ever.  Right now, I'm thinking this is better.

• 1 month later...

I thought this match was great too.  Great, intense action from the get-go when Perro attacks Chicana as he tries to get in the ring.  The towel punches, fighting in the seats, and dives were all excellent.  I only wish we got to see the head-shaving.  I think I liked this more than MS-1/Chicana because it was more back-and-forth, and Perro's offense was more varied here than MS-1's offense was.  I could see this in my top 5 or 10 as well.

• 3 months later...

This whole set had felt like everything fighting for #2 with MS-1 vs. Chicana as the clear #1, that is not the case anymore. I think I liked Perro's performance here better than MS-1. Perro was a machine htiting an onslaught and doing little things like using the boards on the ring, to wrappping the towel that brought the match up another visceral level. The crowd was just salivating for a Chicana comeback and the teases at it were masterful done. Chicana didn't win, he survived. (*****)

• 2 weeks later...

The Perro-Chicano match we saw as part of that four-way match was great but this was on a whole other level. For a fan-cam the camerawork is terrific and its cool to hear how loud the crowd is too. But the match itself is beyond great, both men brought it from the get go and the finish was perfect. I've got it neck and neck with Sangre-MS1 for #1.

• 3 months later...

I liked this a lot but not as much as everyone else apparently. This would probably rank higher if we actually got to see the head shaving to be honest. But there was some awesome stuff here, the brawling in the crowd, the dives that sent the first two rows running for their lives, the selling of exhaustion in the 3rd fall, Perro's kicks to Chicana's face, this is definitely top 20 material but it probably won't make my top 10.