DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:09 AM, odessasteps said:

the new Xbox magazine, as lead up to ME4 coverage, had an article revisiting the ME2 finale and the choices and sacrifices (if applicable) you had to make.

The only real sacrifice you make in ME2 is whether or not you will keep your relationship with your love interest from ME.

If you upgrade the ship, don't dick around before the endgame, and don't make dumb decisions during the Collector Ship raid, everyone will survive the "suicide mission.".

Let Tali handle all things tech, let Jack do the biotic heavy lifting and put real leaders in charge of the fireteams.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think i had everyone survive, but that was a long time ago. 

You think?  I remember with obscene clarity that everyone on the Normandy 2 survived the suicide mission.

On 2/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, J.T. said:

The only real sacrifice you make in ME2 is whether or not you will keep your relationship with your love interest from ME.

If you upgrade the ship, don't dick around before the endgame, and don't make dumb decisions during the Collector Ship raid, everyone will survive the "suicide mission.".

Let Tali handle all things tech, let Jack do the biotic heavy lifting and put real leaders in charge of the fireteams.

And send Mordin back with the survivors.

• Like 1

Yeah, the whole YOU REALLY SHOULD SEND MORDIN BACK WITH THE CREW hint is not so subtle and cannot be ignored.

I am still amazed by people's surprise that bad things happen if you put Zaeed in charge of a fireteam.  TIM hired that mother fucker to pull a trigger.  He's there to follow orders, not give them.

9 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Sooo. Anyone have any experience with the Valiant?

I have experience with all the sniper rifles

Once you realize that things are most likely not going to tie with one shot but you make up for it with how quick the reload is - it isn't bad

The Piercing Mod is a MUST and AP rounds are really really good with it too

You can fire off three shots before a Tac Cloak ends. Even better - and the one I usually did it - anyone with shields - Energy Drain and the bam bam and they are dead.

It has almost no recoil should you should be able to cap multiple enemies if they cluster

Just keep an eye on ammo because it is so easy to blow through it

Just now, RIPPA said:

I have experience with all the sniper rifles

Once you realize that things are most likely not going to tie with one shot but you make up for it with how quick the reload is - it isn't bad

The Piercing Mod is a MUST and AP rounds are really really good with it too

You can fire off three shots before a Tac Cloak ends. Even better - and the one I usually did it - anyone with shields - Energy Drain and the bam bam and they are dead.

It has almost no recoil should you should be able to cap multiple enemies if they cluster

Just keep an eye on ammo because it is so easy to blow through it

Just kinda did a test run with it with the Salarian Infiltrator on Bronze Solo. Got to wave 4, which is much further then I expected to get with the Solo. It's not hugely damaging, but it picks a decent punch with it. Gonna start running with the Salarian Infiltrator with it on Silver for a while, though being 100% out of Medi-Gel will mean I'm not gonna be doing long term.

The N7 Valiant is almost like the Viper but with a bit more punch.  It has a pretty fast reload speed and it fires in semi automatic mode with little recoil.

I prefer the semi and full auto snipers to the slow rate snipers because I like the ability to wound enemies and use the hesitation to line up headshots rather than the usual line up the shot and pray they don't twitch before I fire method.

IMO, the Valiant is the perfect weapon for the N7 Demolisher because you can put the thermal scope and the high velocity barrel on it and not have to worry about the weight of the mods killing your cooldown rate, because all you're doing is throwing grenades anyway and don't have any powers that are dependent on a timer. 

The weapon mods on the Valiant will allow you to easily see through and shoot through most of the hard cover spots on any map and AP or Drill ammo will make killing things even more simple. 

Just spec your N7 Demolisher so that she is able to carry or generate as many grenades as possible and you should be okay..

So, I'm kinda doing a run right now were I'm trying to get a feel for some of the weapons I have never really given a fair shake to. My best example on that was the the Saber, which I had very little experience with. After a few test runs, it's a pretty good Sniper/Assault Hybrid weapon. Gonna start cranking it up to Silver soon.  After that I'm gonna give hte Raider a whirl

The M-99 Saber doesn't really work like sniper rifle unless you force it to work like one.  It is a HPR / DMR..

In order to get it to work like a sniper rifle, you're going to have to use AR Precision Scope just for the privilege of firing accurately from range, so that is already one mod slot blow to make the weapon function like something its not.

You won't be able to use the Thermal Clip mod to boot your shitty magazine size and unlike heavy snipers, the M-99 Saber does not have natural cover penetration unless you use AP Rounds, Drill Rounds, or the AR Penetration Mod.

The M-99 is also really fucking heavy.  The weight is very problematic for classes that depend on cooldowns, so I can't really recommend it for Infiltrators that prefer to cloak on demand.

It's also still classified as an assault rifle, so it does not have the inherent bonuses to headshot damage or armor damage that sniper rifles do.  It gives the illusion that it has a bonus to headshot damage by having a really high base damage, so anything shot in the face with it will die immediately.

The other thing I don't like about the Saber is that even though it is classified as an assault rifle, the high damage / medium ROF functionality is counterproductive to the primary role of assault rifles in the game aka withering damage to shields and barriers.

It's a decent overall weapon for medium engagements but there are far better assault rifles and sniper rifles out there that are extremely good at what they do.

The AT-12 Raider shotgun is pretty much Sledge's Shotgun from the first Bordrelands game:  Lots of damage with a really high pellet spread. 

It doesn't have a high mag size and it is highly inaccurate from distance, so you need to be really close to hit anything and make sure that your shots count..

The recoil is high and it fires two shots in semi-automatic mode so aim for the belly and dump the mag.  Your last shot should hit somewhere in the vicinity of the head.

It is a Batarian weapon and synergizes with Batarian classes because they have an evolution tree branch that gives them a bonus ammo reserve, so you won't have to run to the Thermal Clip box every few seconds.  The Raider really compliments Submission Net and Ballistic Blades.

The Raider is also a really good weapon for Krogan characters because whatever doesn't automatically die from your charge will most certainly perish after you blast it with your shotty from zero feet away.

It is one of the better "traditional" shotguns, but it won't make you forget the Wrath, Claymore, or N7 Piranha.

So, finding that it's just easier to play shit on my PC than PS3 (mostly due to the laptop portability), after I wrap up this FFX playthrough, I wanna do ME.  I have the trilogy, plus most of the DLC on PC, so after I add some mods (mostly readding controller support and some texturing), I'm doing a Trilogy replay.  I'm just not sure exactly how.  I'm thinking Vanguard FemShep, but are there any suggestions to something a little more fun?

If you're playing on high difficulty, you want Tactical Cloak and a good Sniper Rifle. If you're playing on normal, do whatever's fun.

• RIPPA locked this topic