DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

On 5/6/2016 at 6:46 PM, AxB said:

So I'm doing my Renegade Insanity playthrough on ME2, and trying to do everything different to what I did on the first run through... but I couldn't bring myself to not hatch Grunt (I want to see how he interacts with Wrex now Wrex isn't dead). So has anyone completed the game while keeping Grunt in the tube the whole time, or does it hatch him against your will at some point?

He can't hatch against your will because you tell EDI to maintain his vitals and keep him in stasis if it is your decision to keep Grunt in the pod..  Note that you never elect to "kill" Grunt by switching his pod off although IMO that should be a Renegade option.

I guess the game takes the Mr. Sardonicus route and assumes that you will free Grunt for the sake of gameplay and because the Elusive Man advises against it.

His pod has enough nutrient solution and battery power to last a year and IIRC it wasn't tied to Normandy's life support systems, so even if the Normandy is trashed during the Suicide Mission, Grunt should survive the crash in suspended animation as long as his pod wasn't damaged.

Time elapsed between ME2 and ME3 is roughly six months.  Unless the Alliance disposed of Grunt when they confiscated the SR2, Grunt should still be alive in stasis.

So, this replay I'm doing, I dropped $20 and decided to pick up the PC versions because that's what I'm able to play more.

Man, if you thought controlling the Mako with a controller was bad... fuck keyboard and mouse.

But it's way easier to control everything else.

When I loaded up tonight after work (ME2), the game wanted me to agree to some terms and conditions (again?), and I've no idea why. I don't think I even had to agree to them the first time I played it.

I'm doing Lair of the Shadow Broker. It's very hard on Insanity. I'd taken Miranda and Thane because I wanted double Overload (with Shep not having it, and lots of shielded opponents) but then at one point Liara joins your party and you have to lose one of the other two, and Liara can't Overload (her Singularity can eat shields up pretty well, but it's not Overload). I forgot that it starts Liara with no points spent and wondered why her powers were so weak and she kept dying. Need to get Jack's loyalty next, then it's off to Tuchanka.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

I forgot that it starts Liara with no points spent and wondered why her powers were so weak and she kept dying.

It's been a while since I last played this, but can't you just pause in mid-mission and assign her skill points and switch her weapons around once she is a squad member? 

She should be the same class level as your squad mate and I am fairly certain I was able to swap out her shitty Predator heavy pistol and Shuriken SMG for the Phalanx heavy pistol from the DLC and the Tempest SMG before going after Vasir..

EDIT: Yep, checked the WE wikia.  You can assign her points as soon as she is a squaddie but you cannot switch her weapons immediately.  You have to get to the Weapons Locker located in one of the rooms located in Azure..

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Lair_of_the_Shadow_Broker_%28mission%29

Yeah, but I died a few times in that fight before I realised. And then a few more times after, so I kept having to re-assign the points every time we started again. That fight against Tela Vasir was probably the hardest thing so far (although I think fighting the actual Broker himself is going to be harder).

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:27 AM, AxB said:

Yeah, but I died a few times in that fight before I realised. And then a few more times after, so I kept having to re-assign the points every time we started again. That fight against Tela Vasir was probably the hardest thing so far (although I think fighting the actual Broker himself is going to be harder).

What class are you using?  The Broker is easily distracted by Drones, he cannot see through a Tac Cloak, and the time dilation and damage bonuses from Adrenaline Surge are pretty useful.  If you can manage to keep Liara alive, have her spam Singularity. 

I suppose it would work on him, but I never had her use Stasis on the Broker in order to buy a few more seconds to get to cover.

The fight is much harder than the fight with Vasir because his armor and shields regen after every melee QTE. 

Infiltrator, with Barrier as the bonus power. Heavy Disruptor Ammo, Level 3 Tac Cloak and Level 2 Incinerate. Operative is Rank 4 as well, but I've only got a 1 in Hacking and Cryo Ammo. Maybe should have levelled up a bit more before starting, but it's too late now.

What Heavy Weapon are you packing as I always found the rocket launcher (especially when it tracks) helped tremendously in the Shadow Broker fight

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

What Heavy Weapon are you packing as I always found the rocket launcher (especially when it tracks) helped tremendously in the Shadow Broker fight

Arc Projector for me since it works almost equally as good on shields and armor and you don't really have to aim it.

Rocket Launcher. Which I almost never use, but probably should remember to.

EDIT: Well, that wasn't hard at all. Disruptor Ammo maxed, plus AP Sniper Rifle, plus bonus headshot damage, plus break from cloak bonus damage = single targets not lasting long. Multiple targets can be more of a problem. It was weird seeing Shep and Liara being affectionate afterwards, because on my first playthrough they were lovers and it made sense. But on this playthrough Shep told her to be strictly professional and he was cold towards her throughout ME1, so it seemed odd that they were so pally.

So I've got everyone except Tali (who I'm picking up now) and Legion, and everyone I've got is loyal. Went with Morinth over Samara because RENEGADE~! and you've got to do things differently on your second run. Fighting on the Collector ship was tricky because Jack's Warp Ammo was less effective against the Collector's shields than I thought it would be (the mission was made for Thane, really. They're all organic). But Incinerating the armour off packs of Husks and then seeing Jack shockwave them all over the place was great. Like putting a trampoline is a moshpit.

Also, despite RenShep going all through ME1 without romancing anyone, he's already managed to shag Jack and get a clear commitment from Miranda. And it looks like Morinth is interested too, although that might not be the best idea.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

So I've got everyone except Tali (who I'm picking up now) and Legion, and everyone I've got is loyal. Went with Morinth over Samara because RENEGADE~! and you've got to do things differently on your second run. Fighting on the Collector ship was tricky because Jack's Warp Ammo was less effective against the Collector's shields than I thought it would be (the mission was made for Thane, really. They're all organic). But Incinerating the armour off packs of Abominations and thn seeing Jack shockwave them all over the place was great. Like putting a trampoline is a moshpit.

Also, despite RenShep going all through ME1 without romancing anyone, he's already managed to shag Jack and get a clear commitment from Miranda. And it looks like Morinth is interested too, although that might not be the best idea.

Spoiler

No, it's not.

We've all had that time in our lives where we experiment with having our myelin sheaths blown apart by an extraterrestrial psychic sex vampire.  Part of growing up.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Fighting on the Collector ship was tricky because Jack's Warp Ammo was less effective against the Collector's shields than I thought it would be (the mission was made for Thane, really. They're all organic).

ME2 always seemed supremely punitive with power limitations against enemies, especially since the bulk of the core story is facing organics that need barriers and armor cracked.  Thanks for coming along for the ride, tech people!

(Of course, you could say the same about ME1's emphasis on fighting synthetics, but by the end you're so OP that all your biotics are just throwing around Geth Destroyers like rag dolls anyway.  And ME3's egalitarian "everything basically works against everything" approach in looking to fix just this concern is certainly open to debate.)

10 hours ago, Cyanide said:

We've all had that time in our lives where we experiment with having our myelin sheaths blown apart by an extraterrestrial psychic sex vampire.  Part of growing up.

She told Shepard that he'd probably be powerful enough to survive, and why would she lie about something like that?

Does this mean that on the off chance I do a third playthrough, I'll have Dominate as well as Reave as an optional extra power? Not that it's as useful... or that I need to play the game three times (not counting the time my PS froze and I lost my game save during my first run at the suicide mission).

Yep, siding with Morinth gets you auto-loyalty with her and Dominate as a bonus ability on any future playthroughs.

As a crazy person who loves the shit out of ME... I actually played through the trilogy six times across both consoles (one for each class while experimenting with different relationships and decisions/morality paths) so... yeah...

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:14 PM, AxB said:

Fighting on the Collector ship was tricky because Jack's Warp Ammo was less effective against the Collector's shields than I thought it would be (the mission was made for Thane, really. They're all organic)..

Warp Ammo is a crappy power for Jack because she uses shotguns and heavy pistols which don't really do dick against shields / barriers.  She should've been given Assault Rifle / SMG use to compliment her Warp Ammo power and make her more effective against enemies with barriers, just as Inferno Ammo compliments Jacob's load out and make him more effective against enemies with armor.

Can you do Arrival (and Project Overlord) after the suicide mission if you want? Because I'm tempted to do it like that.

(Basically so I can get the Insanity trophy and the Platinum that comes with it, then ram it down to easy for the DLC trophies I'm missing).

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Can you do Arrival (and Project Overlord) after the suicide mission if you want? Because I'm tempted to do it like that. 

Yup - you can play them after

Heck - for story reasons it definitely makes sense to do Arrival after since it actually sets up ME3

Now - I will say this. If you are trying to max out upgrades before the suicide mission then you want to do them before. Otherwise - they can wait

We're off to get the Reaper, the Reaper IFF. 

Because we've filled up all the Normandy, and there's not much room left,

Everyone so loyal to me, it's the next step in our quest,

So we're off the get the Reaper, the Reaper IFF!

I got the Platinum for completing on Insanity. And then I did Arrival and got the two trophies I was missing from that. But Tali died during the final mission :(

Poor squishy Tali.  On one playthrough I mucked up her loyalty mission and had to restart the suicide run a few times to get everyone in roles that would get her out alive.

Man, I was never masochistic enough to tackle an Insanity run-through - good on you.  There are segments of ME2 that I'm sure are just a total slog with the difficulty cranked up.

Yeah - the game had a very specific order that it would kill people in.

And aside from non-loyal people, I think Tali was the lowest on the totem pole (maybe only Kasumi was lower than her)

The whole order is buried here somewhere in the thread