DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

I'm honestly curious how much of how hard I took the ending goes back to how much I bought into Hale as FemShep.Oh, an in the 1st game, playing with anything but an adept with an Assault Rifle is an inferior choice. Singularity is broken.

Well so it AI Hacking... especially with how much you fight Geth

I'm honestly curious how much of how hard I took the ending goes back to how much I bought into Hale as FemShep.Oh, an in the 1st game, playing with anything but an adept with an Assault Rifle is an inferior choice. Singularity is broken.

Well so it AI Hacking... especially with how much you fight Geth

Ilos becomes very boring if you are an Infiltrator or an Engineer and your AI Hacking skill is up to snuff.  You (and Tali if you brought her along) just sit back hacking Primes and Armatures and pick off whatever survives the in-fighting. 

I'm surprised Bioware didn't put more encounters with the tank-bred Krogan in the final fight on the Citadel, but I suppose that an easy romp through the endgame was the reward for those of us who struggled through earlier missions as tech-hybrid or pure tech character.

Singularity isn't nearly as broken as Lift.  You can avoid entire encounters with Juggernauts and Krogan during the Citadel endgame as Liara hoists enemies into the air and they just float off into the void never to be seen nor heard from again.

This is why you bring either Jacob or Jack along for Grunt's recruitment mission on Korlus in ME2.  Using Pull to yank Blue Sun enemies off of ledges and watching them fall to their doom never gets old.

Last night was the reminder that outside the main plot planets - I remember where NOTHING is.

So in I already stumbled into two worlds that were way harder than they should have been since I was still low leveled.

Fucking Pirate/Asari Slavers

In regards to the final boss - I know I Charmed my way through it the 2nd time, I am trying to remember if I had enough to that the first time I ever played the game

So in I already stumbled into two worlds that were way harder than they should have been since I was still low leveled.

Fucking Pirate/Asari Slavers.

What I hate is lucking out and beating those pirates and then not being able to open their gear containers because my Tech's Electronics or Decryption is too low and then I have to remember to come back later on when my skills are sharper..

Mass Effect 2 helped me realize that I really do hate the old Treasure Chest mechanism that RPG's have for dispersing loot.

Fucking Pirate/Asari Slavers.

What I hate is lucking out and beating those pirates and then not being able to open their gear containers because my Tech's Electronics or Decryption is too low and then I have to remember to come back later on when my skills are sharper..

THIS!!!!

I forgot that happened too last night. I was like "MOTHERFUCKER!!! I just slaughter like two dozen slaves and now you are saying you wont open. Let me grab one of their corpses to beat you with."

Yeah... and I say every time it won't anger me but it does. Good Lord does the inventory system suck

The only thing more frustrating for me is when a Charm option comes up that I don't have enough points yet

Me too, since it such obvious replay fodder.  You can't make Ethan Jeong stand down via Charm or Intimidation until your second playthrough.  Bogus..

The only thing more frustrating for me is when a Charm option comes up that I don't have enough points yet

Me too, since it such obvious replay fodder.  You can't make Ethan Jeong stand down via Charm or Intimidation until your second playthrough.  Bogus..
I've maxed out Charm and Intimidation on first playthroughs with multiple characters. Just do Feros last. Noveria is pretty decent in raising morality even without using the bug with Lorik

Well since this is technically my third play through - I got a nice bonus at the start and I have already dumped enough points into Charm that I am at 8 now.

I was more irritated at having to stall before getting the Hanar preacher to move along without paying for his damn permit.

OH! Also remembered today how I hate how not effective the auto save is. Grr...

Boy did I forget how worthless Pinnacle Station is.

I really should just pick a 2nd weapon type beside sniper rifles and stick with that. I need something for those close combat areas (the stupid ships and hidden bunkers, etc...). I wasn't thinking when I first started building and I spread myself a little too thin just randomly throwing stuff in Pistols and Assault Rifles.

Oh EDI - if only you had become self aware earlier

Sniper Rifles really are worthless in ME until you have at least five or six proficiency points invested to keep your scope from running around all crazy.

It also helps if you are crouched when firing a Sniper Rifle.  Never use one when standing up. 

I pretty much used a pistol exclusively until I had enough points in SR to keep my weapon stable, but I put most of my early skill points into my Tech proficiencies, especially Damping.  Carpet bombing the Krogan Warlord on Therum with Damping Tech Mines will save your ass... until he decides to charge.

By then hopefully you've taken out his Geth buddies and can focus your fire on the big guy.

Sniper Rifles really are worthless in ME until you have at least five or six proficiency points invested to keep your scope from running around all crazy.

It also helps if you are crouched when firing a Sniper Rifle.  Never use one when standing up. 

I pretty much used a pistol exclusively until I had enough points in SR to keep my weapon stable, but I put most of my early skill points into my Tech proficiencies, especially Damping.  Carpet bombing the Krogan Warlord on Therum with Damping Tech Mines will save your ass... until he decides to charge.

I have dumped a bunch of points into SR already - I just need to get better weapons and mods. Though I finally am getting enough cash for Spectre weapons. Like I just bought the Pistol yesterday and I should have enough after Bringing Down the Sky (which I started last night) to get the Sniper Rifle.

Ironically enough - I had no problems with the Krogan Warlord.

I will also say that part of the "problem" is that my squadmates are too good at killing people so I don't get a chance to line up a shot. I mean Liara fucking lifts a 1000 dudes before I kill one.

BTW - I fucking hate - HATE - that people in Stasis can't take damage in the first game. Grr...

I got the Overload achievement last night. Time to switch to Sabotaging the fuck out of people.

I really really wish there was a counter in the first game since I know I have to be getting close to the SR achievement

I also didn't have any troubles with the Krogan on Ferum.  Garrus & I blasted him with Tech mines while Ashley just shot him full of holes.  The trick was to cripple his biotics and hurt him badly at the beginning of the attack in order to make him take cover so that we could deal with the other Geth.  Once his support is down, the guy is easy pickings and he usually cowers for a while if you nail him good enough..

I can usually score a headshot on enemies tthat Liara lifts.  That is usually my strategy with Benezia.  Provided that Benezia does not use Stasis on Shep or Liara, I just have Liara use lift and I put a round right in the Matriarch's skull.  The Lift damage finishes her off if my shot doesn't kill her.

Stasis in ME2 and ME3 is much better than the first game. In ME3, Stasis Bubble (Rank 6) is my new favorite thing.

I really really wish there was a counter in the first game since I know I have to be getting close to the SR achievement

Nevermind... got it today while doing Bringing Down The Sky

Poor poor stupid Batarians

Yeah, in Bring Down the Sky, Kaiden and Ashley were my decoy ducks.  I'd put them in cover to draw Batarian fire while I just sniped away from one of the balconies.

You could never do that in ME2 or ME3 because you'd run out of thermal clips.

I did like that Shepard makes a point to say not all Batarians are terrorists. I don't remember that happening on my first go around.

I also am now getting obsessed with people who are in the first game who never show up again.

Like Charn... if you don't kill him, he could have easily been a leader of one of the merc groups on Omega or something

I did like that Shepard makes a point to say not all Batarians are terrorists. I don't remember that happening on my first go around. I also am now getting obsessed with people who are in the first game who never show up again. Like Charn... if you don't kill him, he could have easily been a leader of one of the merc groups on Omega or something

I still am wondering what the hell happend to Giana.

I did like that Shepard makes a point to say not all Batarians are terrorists.

I do not hate all Batarians.  Bray, Aria's second-in-command, fucking rules.

As far as Gianna Parasini goes, if the ME3 Codex entry for Illium is to be believed and Gianna is still there, she could be perfectly safe because she's on one of the most secure worlds that the Asari held.

And no love for Maeko Matsuo, Rippa?  I.... you... we.... did kill quite a few members of her security force.... corrupt though they may be.

Since we've all run through Citadel at least once, we know that Sha'ira the Consort eventually returned to The Citadel.

I did like that Shepard makes a point to say not all Batarians are terrorists. I don't remember that happening on my first go around. I also am now getting obsessed with people who are in the first game who never show up again. Like Charn... if you don't kill him, he could have easily been a leader of one of the merc groups on Omega or something

I still am wondering what the hell happend to Giana.

Written out when they didn't follow up on the dark matter arc.

Yeah, I seem to recall that there was some metaplot angle concerning the Dark Matter lead on Illium / Dark Energy dealie with Haestrom's sun that never panned out into a story arc.

Supposedly:

The dark energy threat to Hasestrom's suns have been going on since the creation of the universe, but has suddenly increased in frequency in the past few 200K years or so.  An unknown race a few million years ago calculated that the phenomenon would eventually wipe out the entire galaxy.  Before their planet was destroyed by a premature nova, they all merged their bodies into a fleet of living starships...

That's right.... The Reapers....

The purpose of the Reaper fleet was to investigate and solve the dark energy phenomenon, but over time they discovered that their collective intelligence did not have the capacity to compute a solution to the problem of the rapid decay of every star in the galaxy.

They needed.... upgrades...... Hence the harvesting of the best and brightest races available from every cycle in order to provide new perspective and the notion of "ascension" aka the idea that the Reapers are doing us a favor by harvesting us because they need our collective knowledge to prevent the eventual destruction of the galaxy itself.. 

Most of the hive mind quantum computing stuff was used for the Geth instead of the Reaper fleet.

Yeah, I think it is dumb, too.