DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

Ashley says that whether she is your love interest or not since I got the same dialogue.

I too took Liara instead of Tali - based on the nature of the mission it makes the most sense to have Liara with you.

I finished the DLC last night. I am going to do the party again tonight but do the laid back version just to see the differences (if any)

At lunch I need to put together a list of my favorite things from just Citadel

For some reason I kinda suck in the combat simulator.

Of course - I am judging myself based on the fact of only a couple of matches on the foot soldier level where I was only able to Silver.

I am assuming higher scores are easier on the tougher difficulties.

Honestly I was surprised that Bioware never released a game  that was comprised of what various ME1/2 characters were doing while Sheppard was being rebuilt.  I mean who wouldn't want to play as Arkangel, help Wrex become head of his clan and that sort of thing?

As for ME4, I hope it starts with a small scope and then expands from there.  I'd love to start out as a C-Sec officer and by the end be doing epic things.  Also playing a alien (turian preferably) protagonist would be sweet.

Went ahead and played through the Citadel Party again - this time doing all the low-key options.

There was enough changes in the dialogues for it to be worth it but the "upbeat" party is definitely the way to go.

A little disappointed that the aftermath of the party was almost exactly the same but I also understand why they did it that way.

So... I finished my 2nd Playthrough of ME3 this weekend. (I started my FemShep playthrough but more on that later.)

And there were a couple of things I couldn't shake as I thought back over the end series and because of the mood I was in... I started thinking about

TOP 10 MOST SOUL CRUSHING MOMENTS OF THE ENTIRE SERIES (aka stupid human emotions)

Now obviously some of these you only get if you make certain choices. And if you asked me tomorrow I might replace half the list... Especially since the first game is very hazy for me right now. (Spoiled just for size and for folks who still might play the whole thing)

Spoiler
10) Prayer Session
Thane dying fucking sucks but you know it's going to happen and he is such a god damn bad ass in taking on Kai Lang that that part wasn't as bad. But then you and Kolyat join in prayer and you find out that it wasn't for Thane after all but instead it is Thane's last request for you. Yup - fuck Kai Lang. (The Citadel DLC has round 2 and it's reminds you again of all the sadness)

9) Charr and Ereba
You convince Ereba to love the big dope then you find out that he sacked up and he was off cracking skulls with his fellow Krogan. It cuts when you find Charr's body. It's just torture watching Ereba breakdown when you deliver the message AND when you realize she is pregnant with his kid.

8)Tali Meets Her Dad
No... just... no (I also realize I am more partial to this one since Tali is my home girl)

7) Samara and her daughters
This would easily be Top 3 if you don't take the Paragon option. Which is easy to miss when you are holding back your own emotions and your wife is screaming at you "STOP HER!!!"

6) The Normandy Crash Site
God this was brutal... especially when you get to Navigator Pressly. God he was such a fucking xenophobe at the start of the series and you learn how  he reconciled that, how he realized how ignorant he was, and that he would gladly give his life for the non-human crew.

5) Your Last Conversation with Garrus
Old Irish Blessings are a huge weakness and coming from your friend who has been with you from the very beginning... 

4) The Random Conversations
Good Lord - I could make a soul crushing list out of just them. The little girl who gets to Thessia. The wife who takes the family to Sanctuary. The girl waiting for her parents. Oof... There is also one that really really stood out.

3) Joker's Family
So you listen to the Asari Commando in Huerta talk about battling the Reapers on Tiptree. It's never good times when you learn that teenager was killed. And you authorized her to have access to a gun. Fast forward to near the end of the game and you find out the teenager was Joker's sister.

2) Captain Anderson's last words
"You did good Son. You did good. I'm proud of you." Impossible to get through... especially if you have lost your Dad. I have spent the last 48 hours trying to figure out how to tweak the ending so those words and Shepard's "Thank You" were the proper ending.

1) Your Lover Saying Goodbye
- Obviously this comes to me since my love interest is Tali. Who knows who else this works for. I can't remember what happened on my first playthrough but on this playthrough I took Tali with me on the final mission so right before you jump into the beam taking you to the Citadel, shit starts flying and Tali is screaming at Shepard to not leave her and that he better come back and Shepard is going "remember to build our house on Rannoch." because he knows this is it. THEN in the extended cut ending... Tali hangs my name on the memorial wall. Yeah - last thing I see with this universe and my wife and I are complete wrecks.

You are missing two big ones, but they're only there for Renegades.

Shepard kills Mordin.

Mordin, the cold-hearted, calculating doctor loses his temper for the very first time, screaming at Shepard, "I MADE A MISTAKE!!!" Shepard doesn't want to kill his friend, but he has to. And Mordin uses his dying breaths to get within inches of redeeming his biggest mistake. And falls short. The greatest scene of any video game ever.

Shepard kills Legion

Legion, for the sake of his Geth and for the sake of freedom, has to turn against the human he revered. As a result, Shepard ends him. And it is not easy. It takes 4 Renegade interrupts, and 4 bullets into Legion. And with each shot, Shepard must look Legion in the eye and he betrays him.

So... I finished my 2nd Playthrough of ME3 this weekend. (I started my FemShep playthrough but more on that later.) And there were a couple of things I couldn't shake as I thought back over the end series and because of the mood I was in... I started thinking about TOP 10 MOST SOUL CRUSHING MOMENTS OF THE ENTIRE SERIES (aka stupid human emotions) Now obviously some of these you only get if you make certain choices. And if you asked me tomorrow I might replace half the list... Especially since the first game is very hazy for me right now. (Spoiled just for size and for folks who still might play the whole thing) 

10) Prayer SessionThane dying fucking sucks but you know it's going to happen and he is such a god damn bad ass in taking on Kai Lang that that part wasn't as bad. But then you and Kolyat join in prayer and you find out that it wasn't for Thane after all but instead it is Thane's last request for you. Yup - fuck Kai Lang. (The Citadel DLC has round 2 and it's reminds you again of all the sadness) 9) Charr and ErebaYou convince Ereba to love the big dope then you find out that he sacked up and he was off cracking skulls with his fellow Krogan. It cuts when you find Charr's body. It's just torture watching Ereba breakdown when you deliver the message AND when you realize she is pregnant with his kid. 8)Tali Meets Her DadNo... just... no (I also realize I am more partial to this one since Tali is my home girl) 7) Samara and her daughtersThis would easily be Top 3 if you don't take the Paragon option. Which is easy to miss when you are holding back your own emotions and your wife is screaming at you "STOP HER!!!" 6) The Normandy Crash SiteGod this was brutal... especially when you get to Navigator Pressly. God he was such a fucking xenophobe at the start of the series and you learn how  he reconciled that, how he realized how ignorant he was, and that he would gladly give his life for the non-human crew. 5) Your Last Conversation with GarrusOld Irish Blessings are a huge weakness and coming from your friend who has been with you from the very beginning...  4) The Random ConversationsGood Lord - I could make a soul crushing list out of just them. The little girl who gets to Thessia. The wife who takes the family to Sanctuary. The girl waiting for her parents. Oof... There is also one that really really stood out. 3) Joker's FamilySo you listen to the Asari Commando in Huerta talk about battling the Reapers on Tiptree. It's never good times when you learn that teenager was killed. And you authorized her to have access to a gun. Fast forward to near the end of the game and you find out the teenager was Joker's sister. 2) Captain Anderson's last words"You did good Son. You did good. I'm proud of you." Impossible to get through... especially if you have lost your Dad. I have spent the last 48 hours trying to figure out how to tweak the ending so those words and Shepard's "Thank You" were the proper ending. 1) Your Lover Saying Goodbye- Obviously this comes to me since my love interest is Tali. Who knows who else this works for. I can't remember what happened on my first playthrough but on this playthrough I took Tali with me on the final mission so right before you jump into the beam taking you to the Citadel, shit starts flying and Tali is screaming at Shepard to not leave her and that he better come back and Shepard is going "remember to build our house on Rannoch." because he knows this is it. THEN in the extended cut ending... Tali hangs my name on the memorial wall. Yeah - last thing I see with this universe and my wife and I are complete wrecks.

Can't disagree with anything on the list... but
Mordin's death man...

Wait.... What was that about Joker's family??? How the fuck did I miss this? God, this series has too much content.

Oh you didn't know that...

Yeah - the commando says that colony was on Tiptree and the girl she meets is Hillary. And the commando says the girl cant wait to be a pilot.

Later on when you talk to Joker - he says he still hasn't heard from his family on... Tiptree. And he says his sister's name is... Hillary

You are missing two big ones, but they're only there for Renegades.

Shepard kills Mordin.Mordin, the cold-hearted, calculating doctor loses his temper for the very first time, screaming at Shepard, "I MADE A MISTAKE!!!" Shepard doesn't want to kill his friend, but he has to. And Mordin uses his dying breaths to get within inches of redeeming his biggest mistake. And falls short. The greatest scene of any video game ever.Shepard kills LegionLegion, for the sake of his Geth and for the sake of freedom, has to turn against the human he revered. As a result, Shepard ends him. And it is not easy. It takes 4 Renegade interrupts, and 4 bullets into Legion. And with each shot, Shepard must look Legion in the eye and he betrays him.

Nobody did any of those but the most cold hearted bastards on the planet.Now...
Anyone who had to watch Tali kill herself, on the other hand.. that needs mention

Oh you didn't know that...

Yeah - the commando says that colony was on Tiptree and the girl she meets is Hillary. And the commando says the girl cant wait to be a pilot.

Later on when you talk to Joker - he says he still hasn't heard from his family on... Tiptree. And he says his sister's name is... Hillary

Yeah, that hit me pretty hard.  It was all I could do not to head back and authorize the release of that pistol but doing that makes your CDF assets take a hit.

Poor Joker.

Oh like you need the extra assets will all the multiplayer promotions we have done.

I am a near-completionist, man!  I can't have a black mark on my CDF asset listing!

Okay - as I briefly mentioned, I started my grand full series playthrough as FemShep

Some thoughts as I go through the series a new again

- How I know I married the right woman? We spent 10 minutes arguing over what makeup my FemShep should have.. which branched off into discussions of would a soldier such as Shepard really be wearing makeup and what the potential technological advances in makeup applications might be. 

- I decided to play as an Infiltrator. I actually surprised myself with this choice. I knew I was going to go with someone with Tech powers but I was sure it was going to be Engineer. Then I remembered that I didn't want to be limited to just pistols. Getting much better at sniping made the choice that much easier.

- Of course - I had also forgotten that because I had already beaten the game, I got to unlock another weapon class. So I am using Sniper Rifles, Pistols and Assault Rifles - that's all I need.

- Speaking of sniping. Holy Fuck is it fucking tough in the early goings of the game. God Bless. I need some mods STAT.

- My back story is Colonist/War Hero (last time I was a Spacer/War Hero). I can't pass up the War Hero Paragon bonus. It's weird to know that my Mom isn't alive. But in theory, I get a mission I never did before.

- Yup - Mass Effect is one ugly fucking game. How the fuck did I never notice how fucking long all the women's necks are? I know I am judging unfairly because I have seen 2 and 3 so much but still.

- God Dammit - do I have the "use Party Member X a majority of the time achievements" because to be able to do them you need to do nothing but main plot until getting Liara and THEN go back and do all the stuff on the Citadel. Well of course - since I do all the extra shit first then the main story - I am pretty much boned this playthrough. I might be able to get it with Garrus but yeah... probably not.

- I haven't decided yet what I am going to do in regards to my love interest. My wife really wants me to have Garrus as my boyfriend but she didn't realize that he wasn't an option till game 2. And she doesn't like Liara. Might have to deal with Kaiden until I can kill him. Might have to be a sexless cat lady the first game.

- Lastly... but probably most importantly... yeah... Holy Fuck is Jennifer Hale's voice work amazing. I mean I have only gotten to where I finally became a Spectre and got the Normandy for my own use but it is night and day how much more... personality... there is to the Female Shepard.

Yeah, you don't really appreaciate how far gunplay has come in this franchise until you try to aim a Sniper Rifle in ME with fewer than five points put into the proficiency. 

I love how Kaiden is your intro into Biotics in the game but in order to be able to hack the fucking mag-lock doors door or get access to the sealed containers on Eden Prime. you will probably put every single training point that Kaiden gets into Decryption and Electronics until you meet Tali.