DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

18 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Maybe now Joel McHale can get on a show that isn't terrible.

LOl, I've been thinking this for two days now but didn't want to be rude and post that,

On the plus side, from what little I've seen, Great Indoors isn't as terrible as Man with a Plan or Kevin Can Wait.  And those two air back-to-back.  I assume CBS hates its audience on Monday night (more proof of that: Scorpion and Two Broke Girls air the same night.  Two Broke Girls can be funny, but I find Kat Dennings mostly grating).

RIP Daughters of Aku minus Ashi.

Spoiler

Well, that didn't take long.  Episide three is a wrap and already Jack has dispatched nearly all of the female ninja out to get him.  Only Ashi remains as she stayed back to make sure that Jack did not double back out of the forest and try to escape.

Now Jack has fallen into some mysterious abyss and needs to find his way back.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

RIP Daughters of Aku minus Ashi.

Hide contents

Well, that didn't take long.  Episide three is a wrap and already Jack has dispatched nearly all of the female ninja out to get him.  Only Ashi remains as she stayed back to make sure that Jack did not double back out of the forest and try to escape.

Now Jack has fallen into some mysterious abyss and needs to find his way back.

I thought all the remaining Daughters charged him...

There are 3 undetermined so far as according to a wiki (thought it says two people had kusagi-gamas but I think one was just wielding a chain) Ashi (kusagi-gama), Axi (naginata) and Avi (butterfly knives) are the last 3 to fight him on the log, Axi is thrown, Avi is probably dead via broken neck via punch and Ashi is dropped.  So there's an off chance 2 have survived the fall, I would have thought they were going to play that out longer with them dropping one an episode or something, maybe casting doubt given their confusion by the deer in the woods.  

16 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I thought all the remaining Daughters charged him...

Reveal hidden contents

There are 3 undetermined so far as according to a wiki (thought it says two people had kusagi-gamas but I think one was just wielding a chain) Ashi (kusagi-gama), Axi (naginata) and Avi (butterfly knives) are the last 3 to fight him on the log, Axi is thrown, Avi is probably dead via broken neck via punch and Ashi is dropped.  So there's an off chance 2 have survived the fall, I would have thought they were going to play that out longer with them dropping one an episode or something, maybe casting doubt given their confusion by the deer in the woods.  

As far as I know,

Spoiler

Since Jack survives the fall, I assume that two or three of the daughters might have done so as well, but I don't think they made it.

Three of the daughters were confirmed kills in the fight in the woods during in this episode (two by thrown spears (?) and one caught a butterfly knife to the chest.). 

I think that Jack also killed the polearm wielder during the duel on the log, but I can't remember.  I think we're supposed to assume that six out of the seven are now deceased.

We know that Ashi is still alive waiting for the return of her sisters.  We'll see how that shakes out.

Okay, writers of The Expanse.  I have read the books and already know that Bobbie Draper is going to become a member of the Rocinante's crew.  You don't have to telegraph it..

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

As far as I know,

Hide contents

Since Jack survives the fall, I assume that two or three of the daughters might have done so as well, but I don't think they made it.

Three of the daughters were confirmed kills in the fight in the woods during in this episode (two by thrown spears (?) and one caught a butterfly knife to the chest.). 

I think that Jack also killed the polearm wielder during the duel on the log, but I can't remember.  I think we're supposed to assume that six out of the seven are now deceased.

We know that Ashi is still alive waiting for the return of her sisters.  We'll see how that shakes out.

From said wiki:

• Ami that had encountered Jack in the Temple. She destroyed his battleaxe and after a brief struggle, Jack swiped her weapon and slit her throat with it, but not before she stabbed him with her dagger.
  • Aki wielding a kusagi-gama. She was killed in a surprise attack by Jack with a spear.
  • Achi weilding dual sai, she was killed unintentionally when Jack impaled her with a spear that was originally thrown at Ashi.
  • Ati wielding a kanabo. She was killed while charging at Jack, who impaled her with one of her sisters' daggers.
  • Axi wielding a naginata. She was defeated when Jack dodged her attack, grabbed her by the shoulders and threw her off the log they were fighting on. Whether or not this actually killed her is ambiguous.
  • Avi wielding dual butterfly swords. She charged at Jack and was dispatched with a single punch, causing her head to twist all the way around, snapping her neck and killing her near-instantaneously.
  • Ashi was dispatched when Jack allowed her to strike him with her kusagi-gama. Using the weapon against her, Jack and Ashi dangled from the log and Jack managed to kick her mask off. The fight ended with Jack returning to the log and untying the chain, causing Ashi to plummet. Her fate is ambiguous.

[Spoiler/]

Fwiw, I think Aki is wielding the chain without the sickle. 

• Like 1

I'm still not sure what to make of the Bates Motel twist.

They knew they could never equal the original shower scene, so didn't even try. Sensible.

But something about the scene was, eh, rather anti-climatic?

They were in a difficult position, IMO. I sympathise.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

LOl, I've been thinking this for two days now but didn't want to be rude and post that,

On the plus side, from what little I've seen, Great Indoors isn't as terrible as Man with a Plan or Kevin Can Wait.  And those two air back-to-back.  I assume CBS hates its audience on Monday night (more proof of that: Scorpion and Two Broke Girls air the same night.  Two Broke Girls can be funny, but I find Kat Dennings mostly grating).

As long as Bas Rutten sticks around as his neighbour, Kevin Can Wait can keep going.

Confession: I still watch Empire and I have no idea why.  It is the absolute perfect example of typical broadcast network lazy writing.  The characters NEVER grow and change.  What defined these characters in episode 1 are the same characteristics that define them late in season 3.  Maybe NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox just know their audiences want unchallenging comfort food?  Just like you can go to any McDonald's in the US any year and a Big Mac will be the same Big Mac you had in Des Moines 5 years ago, you can watch a big 4 broadcast network show any time from any season and know exactly who these people are because they never change.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic