DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Ok, so I'd heard some good things about The Goldbergs but nothing to entice me to watch it. Then they did that Deadhead episode last week and of course I had to check it out. 

I'm fully down the rabbit hole. This show is delightful. It's pretty much my Wonder Years, since I'm 46 and Philly was my city.

• Like 2

So, Holy Fuck on Samurai Jack..

Spoiler

Jack has had his first encounter with the Daughters of Aku and he killed one of the sisters before escaping their ambush. 

She represents the first actual person whose life Jack has taken since this whole thing has started.

It was kinda awesome how the show took the running TV-Y7 For Cartoon Violence joke about how Aku only sends robots out to kill Jack so he's never shed a drop of human blood despite wielding a magical katana and turned it into something very serious. 

It is pretty jarring how this particular episode started off very light hearted and eventually came crashing down around your skull.

• Like 1

I am very happy with the very tight narrative of 24: Legacy.

I love Joe Morton as the comic book super villain in Scandal, but Shonda's writing is infuriating. 

She throws blatant red herrings into the story because apparently she hates people figuring things out and this is the second time in a row where she's depended on the "Who Shot JR?" trope to carry one of her plots to the finish line.

• Like 1

I really like Scandal when it sticks to the Washington fixer/political intrigue.  Last season was easily my favorite since the first season and I might have liked it even more than S1.

I want to check out whenever it veers too heavily into the wacky black ops stuff.  I like Joe Morton a lot, but the storyline gets pretty far out there whenever they give him too much to do.  Also, Jake and - especially - Huck are good guys because... because.  There's literally no other reason they're sympathetic.  Especially Huck.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:00 AM, J.T. said:

So, Holy Fuck on Samurai Jack..

Hide contents

Jack has had his first encounter with the Daughters of Aku and he killed one of the sisters before escaping their ambush. 

She represents the first actual person whose life Jack has taken since this whole thing has started.

It was kinda awesome how the show took the running TV-Y7 For Cartoon Violence joke about how Aku only sends robots out to kill Jack so he's never shed a drop of human blood despite wielding a magical katana and turned it into something very serious. 

It is pretty jarring how this particular episode started off very light hearted and eventually came crashing down around your skull.

I liked some of the early Samurai Jack's but kind of fell out at some point in the series.  This mini series has been pretty great so far, I think the fact that they have a limited run allow them to up the production like the original pilot.  Thanks for pointing out who Scaramouch was based on, I was trying to think if it was some lounge act or something then made me think sort of Billy Crystal but then realizing that Billy did Sammy.  It was kind of bugging me.

The tomb scene seemed heavily inspired by The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

• Like 1

The full list of all the shows CBS announced they renewed

Here is the full list of renewed series to date for the 2017-2018 season:

• The Big Bang Theory
  • Blue Bloods
  • Bull
  • Hawaii Five-O
  • Kevin Can Wait
  • Life in Pieces
  • MacGyver
  • Madam Secretary 
  • Man With a Plan
  • Mom
  • NCIS
  • NCIS: Los Angeles
  • NCIS: New Orleans
  • Scorpion
  • Superior Donuts
  • Survivor
  • 48 Hours
  • 60 Minutes

Also - they announced that Eliza Dushku will be joining Bull

Okay, I may be done with Scandal...

Spoiler

THEY FUCKING KILLED CRAZY ASS HUCK~!!!!

I really liked the premier for Shots Fired so I'm going to stick with it for a bit.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:46 PM, RIPPA said:

The full list of all the shows CBS announced they renewed

Here is the full list of renewed series to date for the 2017-2018 season:

• The Big Bang Theory
  • Blue Bloods
  • Bull
  • Hawaii Five-O
  • Kevin Can Wait
  • Life in Pieces
  • MacGyver
  • Madam Secretary 
  • Man With a Plan
  • Mom
  • NCIS
  • NCIS: Los Angeles
  • NCIS: New Orleans
  • Scorpion
  • Superior Donuts
  • Survivor
  • 48 Hours
  • 60 Minutes

Also - they announced that Eliza Dushku will be joining Bull

Literally the only show I watch on CBS (The Great Indoors) isn't on this list. Fuck you, CBS.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

deadwood-movie-hbo-2015-ian-mcshane-timo

Honestly, when I saw the thing about True Detective, my first thought was, "where is my motherfucking new Deadwood?!?"

Even in that still, you can tell Olyphant's rage burns with the fire of a 1,000 suns.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

New Gilbert gottfried pod has Bernie Kopell talking about get smart, when things were rotten and love boat.

No one remembers When Things Were Rotten but you... and me and Dean.

They also had Barbara Feldon on the guest. 

In grad school, my friend Darren wrote his paper for sitcom class on When Things Were Rotten. And for us to get a copy of the show, i had to trade a guy on rec.arts.tv MST3k KTMA episodes for them. 

• Like 1