DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I've been watching Taboo via the FX on demand ap over the last few days. Is it just me, or is this show fucking awesome? I know it only went 8 episodes, but was this a mini-series and this is it? Or will there be a season 2?

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

I've been watching Taboo via the FX on demand ap over the last few days. Is it just me, or is this show fucking awesome? I know it only went 8 episodes, but was this a mini-series and this is it? Or will there be a season 2?

Yes, it is fucking awesome and yes, there will be a season 2.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/taboo-season-2-confirmed-by-bbc-tom-hardy-peaky-blinders-steven-knight-ridley-scott-a7618891.html

Taboo, the drama series from Tom Hardy and Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight, will officially return for a second season, it has been confirmed.

The eight-part series, which co-stars Oona Chaplin, Jonathan Pryce and Mark Gatiss, began in January airing on BBC One in the UK and FX in the US.

• Like 1

This is Us is fantastic. Deep, interesting writing and great characters. But American Crime is the drama you should be watching. The first two seasons were incredible and season 3 has premiered and looks to be just as great. 

Now to catch up on The  Americans

I caught the first episode of Samurai Jack S5 on demand last night.  I'm all in.  I'm interested to see what will happen when Jack finally squares off against the female ninja squad from the trailer.....

Spoiler

...... who belong to a cult dedicated to the worship of Aku. 

To say that this show isn't for kids anymore is an understatement.  You had your first instance of one human killing another and the visuals from the scene where the head priestess gave birth to the septuplets that are trained to become the ninja squad aka the Daughters of Aku was very dark and slightly disturbing.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?????????

Obviously one (who we know is named, Ashi) or all of the Daughters will eventually betray their fold and side with Jack.  Hopefully before Jack's visions drive him insane.

Tartakovsky is showing his advanced age.  I am probably the only person that figured out that Scaramoushe The Musical Assassin had the personality of Sammy Davis, Jr.

Also,

Spoiler

There is something to be said for having learned conversational Japanese from Japanese people while working for a Japanese company.

I am sure if this was intentional, but there seems to be some logic as to why there are seven of them in total.

We know from E1 that one of the ninja's is named "Ashi." 

Ashi is one of the seven Kunyomi readings for the word "Aku."  The others are Aa, Warui, Nikui, Nikumu, Izukuni, and Izukunzo.

It would be pretty awesome if those alternate readings turned out to be the actual names of Ashi's other sisters and it would really give some weight to the high priestess's comment about the sisters. (You are seven but you wear the face of one.)

since Kunyomi readings of all of their names would translate into the word "evil" (aku).

I've finally watched Penny Dreadful. I had such high hopes for it, but it's astonishingly campy and both the characters and storylines are unoriginal and silly, with so many plotholes scattered around. And the closer I got to the ending, the shittier and shittier and shittier it got. Fucking Christ.

Most of the cinematography was beautiful, I'll concede that. And the Creature was really good. Easily the best character. But, all in all, what a shitfest.

On 3/14/2017 at 0:45 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Set your DVRs, Hap and Leonard: Mucho Mojo starts tomorrow night at 9 Central. Replay after Forrest Gump replay (ugh)

Thanks for the reminder! Have I missed the discussion or am I the only one watching Outsiders?

Hap and Leonard has already had 

Spoiler

1.  Michael K. Williams knocking out a guy and pissing on his face for pissing on his rosebushes

2. NWA on the soundtrack

3. "Goodnight, T.J."

4. The amazing Mee Maw

5. One of the most awesome expressions of love despite all grievances ever

so yeah you should probably start watching now. Also: This is the Williams show. Hop aboard or stay off. 

21 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Last night's episode of This Is Us was good, but extremely frustrating as I thought we were going to get some real answers, but no. 

It's not Lost or anything. You got how they met. That's a pretty significant part of the "Lore." 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

VEEP Season 6

**Daniel Bryan Yes gif**

So excited. The one thing that stood out the most was Jonah's shaved head. How could you not know that your hairline was that fucked up before shaving it down unless it was for a role in something else or unless he was sick or whatever. At the same time, it's very Jonah and I look forward to all the jokes made at his expense.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2017 at 9:31 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

Last night's episode of This Is Us was good, but extremely frustrating as I thought we were going to get some real answers, but no. 

I agree, but I guess one way to ensure that everyone sticks around for S2 is to extend the intrigue behind Jack's death. That's what we all care about, really, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I agree, but I guess one way to ensure that everyone sticks around for S2 is to extend the intrigue behind Jack's death. That's what we all care about, really, right?

That, and how long Miguel waited until he swooped in on Rebecca.

• Like 1

Holy shit, The Expanse.  Pyre was a great episode.  I really wish my good speculative fiction wouldn't have so many fucking feels.

I still can believe that a show like this is on the same network that has Dinocroc movies all weekend.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

12 hours ago, gatling said:

That, and how long Miguel waited until he swooped in on Rebecca.

Also, did Jack & Rebecca work things out before he died? Did Miguel & Rebecca get together before or after Jack died? How was Kate involved as she said it was her fault?

The pilot for the new Amy Sherman-Palladino show, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel " is fucking tremendous. It's on Amazon as part of their "pilot season " bullshit. If it doesn't get picked up I'll be pissed. It was one of the best first episodes of a tv show I've seen. I'm a big Gilmore Girls fan and I even liked Bunheads, but this has potential to be the best thing she's done. It has all the ASP trademarks but it's also r rated, and it's not just white people. Highly recommended, pun intended.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, RIPPA said:

So JT doesn't have to go on a murderous rampage

The Expanse has been picked up for a third season

Of course it won't be until 2018

1) FUCK YEAH~!!!!

2) Shohreh Aghdashloo aka Tali's Aunt aka Lakshmi-2 will be interviewed on Here & Now on NPR today.

3) Glad to hear that there is another season coming up.  It should cover Abaddon's Gate which is arguably the best novel of the set.  But that means we'll have to endure more Caliban's War plot and that sucks for the most part.