DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

When I was a teenager, I watched Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood numerous times and quoted some lines from it a lot. I hadn't seen it since then and probably forgot about its existence to be honest, but it popped up on Netflix and so I forced the wife to watch it with me. It was goddamn awful. Just absolutely painful. I was a dumb teenager apparently.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Were they geeks that probably didn't know how to scrap anyway or was this a rumble on the horizon.

When I went to see Dragonball Z: Battle Of Gods, the theater was full. Never seen a theater this full. 

Well I heard the theater had not wanted to screen it, I guess not expecting the turn out they got. 

The building is obviously full of geeks, nerds and whatever the hell I am. There was this teen who kept talking, it was bothering everyone and I feel like we mentally drew straws to see who would tell him to shut up. Some man nearby said "Kid, shut up we're watching this."

Then the picture went black as the audio was distorted. Things got really quiet before they fixed it. I don't know if nerds can riot, but we were very close to finding out. 

Movie was awesome.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is why I love the Alamo - they warn you at the start and then aren't afraid to throw your ass out

I love going to Regal @ Waugh Chapel because they have off duty cops working security.  Nothing says turn off your fucking cell phone when the movie starts like large men dressed in black.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, J.T. said:

Were they geeks that probably didn't know how to scrap anyway or was this a rumble on the horizon.

I got bent out of shape a few weeks ago when my woman and I went to see Get Out.  Someone kept slamming into her movie seat but when I peeked around to deal with it, the perp turned out to be a fourteen year old kid with restless legs. 

Innocent enough, but still annoying.

Stern yet ambiguous words indirectly aimed at the parent were sufficient enough to encourage curbing the behavior..

"What's wrong, baby?  IS SOMEONE KICKING YOUR CHAIR~?"

Problem solved.

Parents generally want to do the right thing with their kids when they're in public, so give them the opportunity to do so.

This is why I love the theater I go to, they renovated all the theaters so that there's recliner chairs and so much space between the rows, so that there's no way of kicking the seat in front of you.

17 hours ago, Cameron Swift said:

When I was a teenager, I watched Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood numerous times and quoted some lines from it a lot. I hadn't seen it since then and probably forgot about its existence to be honest, but it popped up on Netflix and so I forced the wife to watch it with me. It was goddamn awful. Just absolutely painful. I was a dumb teenager apparently.

No, you're an adult who had better taste as a teen. That movie is funny as fuck.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John Austin said:

This is why I love the theater I go to, they renovated all the theaters so that there's recliner chairs and so much space between the rows, so that there's no way of kicking the seat in front of you.

We've got one of those too and it's GLORIOUS!  For 'John Wick 2', I was even able to sit in the first row because of the reclining!

Curiously, the only film I haven't seen with booming theater sound in the last decade or more was Young Frankenstein the other weekend. Whatever was going on in the theater next to us was slightly irritating with its volume coming through the walls. You'd think they'd figure this shit out better. 

And come on, Don't Be A Menace rules. 

Spoiler

0A4lA.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caley said:

Rewatched Hardcore Henry, this time with my dad.  I love that stupid movie, so over-the-top entertaining and violent.

It is so epic in its stupidity yet so unapologetic and violent that you don't really care.

The review embargo ended at midnight and sadly Ghost In The Shell is sitting at 49% Rotten at RT.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 6:23 AM, Technico Support said:

LOL seriously. Recliners AND drinks?  I'm snoring by act 2.

I have one of the two AMC Dine-In Theaters in California right near me with the recliners that pretty much lay completely back and are so large it's basically like laying on a twin bed AND you can order food & drinks with them brought right to your seat.  I thought it would be horribly distracting, especially mid-movie guests talking to servers, but everything is so spaced out that you don't even notice.  

I don't go to any other theaters anymore.  

They have smaller screening rooms like this that fit maybe 30 people total and they're amazing.  

Of course, it has also turned movies from $5 of candy from the dollar store before the movie to a $100 dinner and bottle of wine kind of thing.  

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The Discovery (Jason Segel/Rooney Mara movie where the existence of the afterlife has been proven) hit Netflix today.  It's really good, check it out.

Hmm, directed by Charlie McDowell (Son of Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenbergen!), huh?  I quite enjoyed 'The One I Love' by him, as well.  Similar tone/style?

5 hours ago, caley said:

Hmm, directed by Charlie McDowell (Son of Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenbergen!), huh?  I quite enjoyed 'The One I Love' by him, as well.  Similar tone/style?

Gotta hurry before this thread gets locked - yes, it's similar, but better imo. Feels more important, like this is something that matters to the whole world, not just one couple.  But now I'm thinking about how they compare and noticing that Robert Redford's role here is a lot like Ted Danson's role in the last one.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic