DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I'd lay off Ghostbusters for a time, some of those episodes are pretty creepy. . . . .

Holy fuck, the episodes with the Boogeyman scared the shit out of my little cousin and the Lovecraft episode when C'thulu rises out of the Hudson River didn't do his sleep patterns any favors, either.

• Like 1

Excision (2012) is a slow burner domestic horror starring Annalynne McCord as a teenager who's more disturbed than she seems, Traci Lords as her uptight suburban mother, John Waters as her Priest/ Therapist, Ray Wise as the High School Principal and Malcolm McDowell as her Maths Teacher. It's pretty fantastic, actually. I was surprised it was directed by a man, because it seemed to be a part of that female horror movement that's going on now, films like Raw and that. It's very much concerned with the sexual thoughts of a disturbed girl... there's this weird medicalised violence fetish, like surgical, painless violence. It's good. Great cast, anyway. Marlee Matlin's in one scene too.

Redbelt (2008) doesn't really work. I think the idea it's going for is to do with having a guy with the philosophical man of peace idea you get from traditional Martial Arts, and imagine what that would be like in an MMA setting. But it ends up just being a parable about how wealthy people are corrupt and they corrupt you... and the actual combat scenes don't work, because you've got guys doing BJJ but always going submission before position (so they can have lots of dramatic escapes and reversals) and it just looks like they aren't the calm, composed fighters the story of the film tries to sell them as. They fight a fast paced, high-risk, low-percentage-chance-of-success style even though the story of the film is telling us they are Zen guys. And Zen guys fight like Gunnar Nelson or Lyoto Machida, economy of movement and precise technique, low risk, high chance of success. And Tim Allen is miscast, they should have got a Stallone type (Frank Stallone would have been cheaper than Tim Allen) because he was playing an action movie guy who random bar assholes would want to beat up just to say they'd done it.

Also, no athletic commission in America would sanction a fight sport where one combatant has to randomly fight blindfold or with one hand tied behind his back. I noticed that they said it was sanctioned by the California State Commission, which they could get away with because that doesn't exist. They couldn't say California State Athletic Commission because that's an actual thing and they could sue them. Like how Vic Mackey (a fictional LA Policeman) always banged on a door and shouted 'Police', because if he shouted 'LAPD' the actual LAPD could sue the show for misrepresentation. The actress who played Vic Mackey's wife is in Redbelt. She plays a Cop's wife.

Watched The Man With the Iron Fists 2 when it randomly turned up on one of our movie channels and it's shockingly not that bad.  RZA is the only actor from the first one to reprise his role and he plays sort of a wandering Man-With-No-Name-type character who ends up involved in a dispute between an evil mine owner and the miners he abuses/kills, along with a mystery of young girls disappearing and being drained of their life-force.  It's silly, it's overwrought, it's...incredibly entertaining with a great RZA-assisted score.  I can watch films like this all day long.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:28 AM, J.T. said:

Today is Spike Lee's birthday.

Speaking of Spike....

I'm halfway through watching Bamboozled for the first time since it became available on VHS/DVD. Why does this film do a better job at critiquing liberal white people than Get Out? I thought Get Out was decent to good, but for me, nothing resonates in Get Out like the scene where they (Jada and Damon's characters) meet with the media consultant and she gives them a list of what to do. The amount of truth in that scene is downright scary, especially when there are several vivid examples in TV/Film/Music now I can point to instantly.

7 hours ago, caley said:

Watched The Man With the Iron Fists 2 when it randomly turned up on one of our movie channels and it's shockingly not that bad.  RZA is the only actor from the first one to reprise his role and he plays sort of a wandering Man-With-No-Name-type character who ends up involved in a dispute between an evil mine owner and the miners he abuses/kills, along with a mystery of young girls disappearing and being drained of their life-force.  It's silly, it's overwrought, it's...incredibly entertaining with a great RZA-assisted score.  I can watch films like this all day long.

I found it in the budget bin at WalMart a couple years ago.  It was a great investment.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Excision (2012) is a slow burner domestic horror starring Annalynne McCord as a teenager who's more disturbed than she seems, Traci Lords as her uptight suburban mother, John Waters as her Priest/ Therapist, Ray Wise as the High School Principal and Malcolm McDowell as her Maths Teacher.

Yeah, it's great.  I think I wrote a review of it once, but never got around to posting it up on Movie Feast.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Redbelt (2008) doesn't really work.

It tries to take the warrior ethos of the Karate Kid and the zen quotes for days stuff from Ghost Dog and make a decent martial arts movie out of those parts ("Who imposes the terms of the battle will impose the terms of the peace." "You already know the escape." "TAKE HIM TO BRAZIL~!!") but it totally fails in the third act by not having that epic showdown.

There is indeed a final fight, but it does not provide the catharsis that it should.  I want to forgive the Movie BJJ with the Enter The Draagon excuse that fights need to be choreographed so that the audience will be able to appreciate them (ie. if Bruce Lee fought at full tilt, no camera on earth would've recorded his movement so he needed to dial things down so his actions could be seen on film), but this movie is going to have the most allure with people who are either familiar with MMA or are actual martial artists and they are going to see right through the techniques used in the fight scenes.

12 hours ago, AxB said:

John Waters as her Priest

You had me at that! Need to see it. 

Speaking of Man with the Iron Fists, here's this. A total banger from the OST:

EDIT: Listening to that again, I'd venture to say that's the best thing RZA's done in years. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of Spike....

I'm halfway through watching Bamboozled for the first time since it became available on VHS/DVD. Why does this film do a better job at critiquing liberal white people than Get Out? I thought Get Out was decent to good, but for me, nothing resonates in Get Out like the scene where they (Jada and Damon's characters) meet with the media consultant and she gives them a list of what to do. The amount of truth in that scene is downright scary, especially when there are several vivid examples in TV/Film/Music now I can point to instantly.

Bamboozled gets overlooked a lot for how on the point it was. I had it on my ballot for the 100 greatest movie list. I think part of it was that our culture and the film industry in particular were not ready for or were comfortable with such a critique happening in the year 2000. 17 years later and things are slightly better from a movie addressing such topics to be accepted. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Bamboozled gets overlooked a lot for how on the point it was. I had it on my ballot for the 100 greatest movie list. I think part of it was that our culture and the film industry in particular were not ready for or were comfortable with such a critique happening in the year 2000. 17 years later and things are slightly better from a movie addressing such topics to be accepted. 

Exactly. I think the entertainment industry, in its diversity mission, has slipped further down the rabbit hole even with the progress that has been made. Granted, my belief is that these businesses were never created with black people in mind in the first place so begging for acceptance is a bit strange. However, I do recognize the black people who are a part of either side (whether as the talent or the executive) have to navigate these endeavors in a certain way. The problem is it stills jeopardizes the portrayals of African-Americans in all walks of life. Racial stereotypes are still going to persist, but people inside the entertainment industry have become so disillusioned with the power they have shaping these different narratives. How is it that we still have young black men jumping on tables and buckdancing at A&R offices trying to get a record deal? How is it we still have directors saying we adding these fictional scenes in a biopic about black women because we need a white hero (looking at you, Hidden Figures)? How is it we have black showrunners saying they casted a white lead because they want to make white people feel good (*cough* Lee Daniels *cough*)?  How is it that we have films like Loving about interracial love that are critically acclaimed when the black subject depicted in the film spent years claiming she was anything but black? How is it that a film like Moonlight, another critically acclaimed film, was produced by all white people? How is it that for everything that shows black people in a positive light that we get a ton of Stepin Fetchit coonery on television, film, and the radio that overshadows those projects?

These are rhetorical questions because I know every damn answer. That's why it bothers me so much and why I can't enjoy certain projects. Recognizing that these people have agendas and these agendas are responsible to how people view us (and how we view ourselves) makes me feel so resigned not to outright praise anything just because there are people that look like me involved. So everything that comes out now, I'm skeptical from the jump. 

Oh yeah.  The woman and I went to see Fist Fight on the cheap on post at Ft. Meade a couple of weekends ago (how can you say no to five dollar movie tickets?).

Parts of the movie were surprisingly funny while others were really really really awkward.

Saw Life on the weekend.  Was just ok.  There are points where it starts to feel like Mouse Hunt, or Whack-A-Mole: The Movie.  They do throw in a couple of mildly unexpected parts along the way.

There was a heated confrontation in the two rows right in front of me when someone wouldn't stop talking during the movie.  Thought it might get to an actual fistfight, but no one was willing to throw the first punch.

49 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

There was a heated confrontation in the two rows right in front of me when someone wouldn't stop talking during the movie.  Thought it might get to an actual fistfight, but no one was willing to throw the first punch.

Were they geeks that probably didn't know how to scrap anyway or was this a rumble on the horizon.

I got bent out of shape a few weeks ago when my woman and I went to see Get Out.  Someone kept slamming into her movie seat but when I peeked around to deal with it, the perp turned out to be a fourteen year old kid with restless legs. 

Innocent enough, but still annoying.

Stern yet ambiguous words indirectly aimed at the parent were sufficient enough to encourage curbing the behavior..

"What's wrong, baby?  IS SOMEONE KICKING YOUR CHAIR~?"

Problem solved.

Parents generally want to do the right thing with their kids when they're in public, so give them the opportunity to do so.

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Were they geeks that probably didn't know how to scrap anyway or was this a rumble on the horizon.

I exaggerate a little.  It was 2 couples, both at least in their mid-thirties.  Guy from couple 1 is talking.  Girl from couple 2 turns around and goes "Could you be quiet?!"  She said it rudely, but you'd sort of expect some rudeness because people should know not to talk during movies.  Guy from couple 1 is a bit taken aback, but goes "...no" and decides to dig in his heels and keep talking.  Guy from couple 2 then turns around and goes "Did you hear what she said?!" and the guy from couple 1 stands up, gets in his face and says something like "Do you have a problem with me?" and the guy from couple 2 scurries away to get a theater manager.

To answer your question, the talking guy from couple 1 was a blue-collar type and the complaining guy from couple 2 was more of a white-collar type.  It would have been a very one-sided fight, but complaining guy would never have engaged physically.

For the record, the talking was bothering me too, but I am the kind of person who would do nothing other than sit there and stew about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

For the record, the talking was bothering me too, but I am the kind of person who would do nothing other than sit there and stew about it.

Guy 2 did the right thing.

No need to interject yourself.  This is what ushers are for.

Why stew when you can go read the manager the riot act and then they send in people to publically embarrass the offenders?

The whole theater will be on your side if the assholes are belligerent to the point where the projector has to be turned off.

• Like 1

When a couple I'm friends with went to see Get Out they lamented the audience not taking to the slow build until halfway through and constantly being sucked back into their phones. FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE, THEY TELL YOU TO TURN THEM OFF ON THE GODDAMN SCREEN. 

Of course, one of the couple is the GM of a pizza parlor so he just turned his to vibrate and got about four texts and a phonecall from the owner during the presentation, to the point he just handed the phone to his girlfriend and said "take this away from me".