DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

We celebrated my daughter's acceptance to the Maggie Walker High School for Government and the Hermitage High School for the Humanities with Stromboli and Kong: Skull Island.

Kong was not as great as advertised nor was it entirely horrible either. 

It's not the first anti-war movie masquerading as a monster movie that I have seen, but it also manages to smuggle in a cautionary tale about the environment.

6 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

iMDB had message boards?

Just about every movie, performer, or other entity with its own page had an individual forum section at the very bottom of the page.  The forums for any popular or recent movie were chock full of posts from trolls, idiots, or people looking to stir shit up for no reason and were one of the main reasons there would be claims about supposed backlashes or controversies regarding certain films.  However once the hubub about a movie died down or a certain amount of time passed there would actually be worthwhile discussions on there.  That was especially true of movies that were older or less popular and for just about any movie with something ambiguous or a supposed plot hole there would be a thread where people with discuss and explain it.  Numerous times I'd find things I missed or hadn't gotten on first viewing fleshed out a bit more.  Beyond that you could look at the threads on just about any movie and find a thread that might be a bit inane but was also entertaining and good for killing a few minutes. 

They were shut down for good a month or two back.  While the forums weren't always youtube comments level bad, some definitely approached that same neighborhood. I completely understand as they were no doubt impossible to moderate thoroughly and the ever-increasing amount of troll bullshit was getting harder and harder to wade through, but it really was a great place to find information or at least kill time reading discussions on pretty much any aspect of cinema.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, J.T. said:

We celebrated my daughter's acceptance to the Maggie Walker High School for Government and the Hermitage High School for the Humanities with Stromboli and Kong: Skull Island.

Kong was not as great as advertised nor was it entirely horrible either. 

It's not the first anti-war movie masquerading as a monster movie that I have seen, but it also manages to smuggle in a cautionary tale about the environment.

The ending took Kong from pretty good to awesome in my book.

• Like 1

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Just about every movie, performer, or other entity with its own page had an individual forum section at the very bottom of the page.  The forums for any popular or recent movie were chock full of posts from trolls, idiots, or people looking to stir shit up for no reason and were one of the main reasons there would be claims about supposed backlashes or controversies regarding certain films.  However once the hubub about a movie died down or a certain amount of time passed there would actually be worthwhile discussions on there.  That was especially true of movies that were older or less popular and for just about any movie with something ambiguous or a supposed plot hole there would be a thread where people with discuss and explain it.  Numerous times I'd find things I missed or hadn't gotten on first viewing fleshed out a bit more.  Beyond that you could look at the threads on just about any movie and find a thread that might be a bit inane but was also entertaining and good for killing a few minutes. 

They were shut down for good a month or two back.  While the forums weren't always youtube comments level bad, some definitely approached that same neighborhood. I completely understand as they were no doubt impossible to moderate thoroughly and the ever-increasing amount of troll bullshit was getting harder and harder to wade through, but it really was a great place to find information or at least kill time reading discussions on pretty much any aspect of cinema.

I agree on all of this.

I don't think I was registered to post there or anything, but pretty much every time I'd watch a film, I'd check out its IMDB page and almost always scroll down to the comments section to see what people were saying.  Sometimes it was genuinely insightful (People who'd read the script or listened to commentaries of whatever and could chime in with details), sometimes it was funny (People who would post angry things about films while completely misunderstanding them) and other times it was just infuriating.

I'd wager the last half year or so of politics was probably the death knell for their message boards, though.  I remember any time a story came up with Michael Shannon or any movie featuring Michael Shannon, the message board would be spammed with "MICHAEL SHANNON THINKS TRUMP SUPPORTERS SHOULD DIE, I WILL NEVER SUPPORT ONE OF HIS MOVIES!!!"-style posts, or, conversely, if you someone criticized a critically-regarded film would be met with "Go back to your Michael Bay movies you Trump-loving dick!"  IMDB was probably tired of policing those.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The ending took Kong from pretty good to awesome in my book.

If we're talking about Hank Marlow Returns To Chicago then yeah, much weeping over the greatness.

Also, Kong:  Skull Island may have the best soundtrack of period music since Grosse Point Blank.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If we're talking about Hank Marlow Returns To Chicago then yeah, much weeping over the greatness.

Also, Kong:  Skull Island may have the best soundtrack of period music since Grosse Point Blank.

Yeah, Hank Marlow was a great story at the end, but even better was what came after the end credits.

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, Hank Marlow was a great story at the end, but even better was what came after the end credits.

Shhh.  I'm trying not to spoil that bit of awesomeness.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Based on that after credits scene, and other reports we are getting Kong vs Godzilla next right? Who the hell does the job? Considering that the movie says Kong was STILL growing, hopefully Gozilla lays down?

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Film 2 endings like they did the last time, with each guy going over.

Spoiler

For many years a popular myth has persisted that in the Japanese version of this film, Godzilla emerges as the winner. The myth originated in the pages of Spacemen magazine, a 1960s sister magazine to the influential publication Famous Monsters of Filmland. In an article about the film, it is incorrectly stated that there were two endings and "If you see King Kong vs Godzilla in Japan, Hong Kong or some Oriental sector of the world, Godzilla wins!" The article was reprinted in various issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland in the years following such as issues 51, and 114. This bit of incorrect info would be accepted as fact and persist for decades, transcending the medium and into the mainstream. For example, decades later in the 1980s the myth was still going strong. The Genus III edition of the popular board game Trivial Pursuit had a question that asked "Who wins in the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla?", and states that the correct answer is "Godzilla". As well, through the years, this myth has been misreported by various members of the media, and has been misreported by reputable news organizations such as the Los Angeles Times. Since seeing the original Japanese-language versions of Godzilla movies was very hard to come by from a Western standpoint during this time period, it became easily believable.

However, as more Westerners were able to view the original version of the film (especially after its availability on home video during the late 1980s), and gain access to Japanese publications about the film, the myth was dispelled. There is only one ending of this film. Both versions of the film end the same way: Kong and Godzilla crash into the ocean, and Kong is the only monster to emerge and swims home. The only differences between the two endings of the film are extremely minor and trivial ones:

• In the Japanese version, as Kong and Godzilla are fighting underwater, a very small earthquake occurs. In the American version, producer John Beck used stock footage of a violent earthquake from the film The Mysterians to make the climactic earthquake seem far more violent and destructive.
  • The dialogue is slightly different. In the Japanese version onlookers are wondering if Godzilla might be dead or not as they watch Kong swim home and speculate that it's possible he survived. In the American version, onlookers simply say, "Godzilla has disappeared without a trace" and newly shot scenes of reporter Eric Carter have him watching Kong swim home on a viewscreen and wishing him luck on his long journey home.
  • As the film ends and the screen fades to black, owari (the end) appears on screen. Godzilla's roar followed by Kong's is on the Japanese soundtrack. This was akin to the monsters' taking a bow or saying goodbye to the audience as at this point the film is over. In the American version, only Kong's roar is present on the soundtrack.

In 1993, comic book artist Arthur Adams wrote and drew a one-page story that appeared in the anthology Urban Legends #1, published by Dark Horse Comics, which dispels the popular misconception about the two versions of King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

How the living hell have I never seen King Kong vs. Godzilla? How has it never even been on one of the El Rey marathons for that matter?

The first time I can remember having a movie I wanted to see spoiled for me was this movie.  It was spoiled by 2XL, the robot.

2xl.jpg

When I put in the Monsters, Myths, and Legend's 8 Track. I forgave him, or course, because LOOK AT HIM!!! HE"S A TALKING ROBOT THAT TELLS ME ABOUT VLAD THE IMPALER!!!! 

That robot is literally still among the two or three consciousnesses I still trust with my life.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

The first time I can remember having a movie I wanted to see spoiled for me was this movie.  It was spoiled by 2XL, the robot.

2xl.jpg

When I put in the Monsters, Myths, and Legend's 8 Track. I forgave him, or course, because LOOK AT HIM!!! HE"S A TALKING ROBOT THAT TELLS ME ABOUT VLAD THE IMPALER!!!! 

That robot is literally still among the two or three consciousnesses I still trust with my life.

Did 2XL ever give you subliminal messages or was that only Teddy Ruxpin?

Wow, what the fuck Triple 9 (now on heavy rotation on the Showtime movie networks)?  You had an awesome cast, awesome characters, and an awesome director but as a movie, you were only average.

Kate Winslet deserves another crack at playing a racist Russian mafia boss because she was pretty fucking awesome. 

Hollywood is determined to put Lisbeth Salander back on the screen, but at least it has abandoned the folly of adopting the first three books of Millenium.

They will do a hard restart with The Girl In the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz.  Neither Daniel Craig nor Rooney Mara will be returning to the production.

Sony will release the film on Oct. 5, 2018, opposite Warner Bros. superhero flick Aquaman starring Jason Momoa.

Don't Breathe director Fede Alvarez is helming the adaptation of the fourth book of the Millennium series. It will begin production in September and feature an entirely new cast. Alvarez is currently meeting with candidate actresses to play Lisbeth Salander.

Sony must feel really good about their chances opposite a DC super hero movie.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Trivia: One of the only issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland (I think the actual only one I ever got) is this one and they did indeed promote the rumor. 

b544ccf0c0f1f898aa1ba2d046756811.jpg

I think I actually have this magazine somewhere at my house.

• Like 2