DVDVR Message Board

NXT MARCH 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Doing some lame fantasy booking on my end, here. But I'd have the usual Asuka match but somehow Ember hits The Eclipse and it's Asuka's kryptonite. Ember's a snooze as a character (I have no idea who she is beyond "has red eyes"). But they have made her finisher a death move. I'd love if they kept it like that -- NO one has an answer for The Eclipse.

Also: Everyone is sleeping on how good Peyton is. She's fabulous. She does a great job at being vicious and then showing worry and then showing fear. And she can work, too. She's not as good (yet) as any of The Horsewomen, but she's as good as Emma and Alexa. Joy to watch. Billy's not bad at all, either -- love her Wicked Stepsister outfit, and has very organic reactions.

I like Peyton, but she's not as good as Emma. Peyton barely has any offense that looks credible. She's fine as a chicken shit heel who uses the numbers game to take an advantage. Emma was a vicious killer in her squash matches.

Asuka should've turned heel in the Bayley feud. The only time it felt believable to have her as an underdog was against Nia. It's not really her fault NXT hasn't built up credible heels for her. I do believe she could do some great stuff with Nikki Cross.

• Like 2

Co-sign on Almas and Lorcan. Best NXT match since, fuck, the last Takeover. The first time that Almas looked like a star and looked like he had his confidence back. A couple more months of that and you can throw him on the main roster. They dance around it, but if AJ and Anderson and Gallows can basically do the Bullet Club I'd have Almas come up and go full Ingobernable. 

Asuka's squash was one of the all-time greats. Her and Nak are gonna die in NXT, of course, but Asuka should just keep that title until one of the Stardom girls show up. 

1 hour ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

People are sleeping on that Almas Lorcan match. Good stuff. 

Agreed.  One of those matches where it is obvious who is winning but towards the end, you're not so sure.  I don't know if it was planned or Oney just messed up, but Almas' hitting that handspring just looked so much more lethal with the way Lorcan took it.  Even better that as soon as the "This is awesome" chants started, the match ended.  PLEASE let that chant die.  It is MEANINGLESS now.

• Like 1

That was the best NXT show in some time, like including several Takeovers. I could watch Almas/Lorcan and Asuka squashes all day. I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't watch that Asuka match and still try to peddle the idea that anyone in NXT is near her level. The technique, the speed, the facial expressions, the confidence, the way she kept the crowd oscillating between "that was so cool" and "ok this is too much..." It was cool to see that kind of organic reaction that transcends the conventional face/heel dynamic.

The 6-man is the match that's really getting slept on, though. The babyfaces showed a lot of real fire, and the heels finally got their comeuppance. Heidi Lovelace being the Nikki-equalizer was the icing on the cake for this awesome show.

9 hours ago, MisterPhil21 said:

OH my god, just the reaction from graves the first time the drifter comes out. GLORIOUS 

I absolutely cannot wait for The Drifter to make the main roster. Prime time TV is sorely needs a heel that can draw Vickie Guerrero-level of crowd reactions, and I am stoked that's about to change.

Or hell, have him replace Foley and have him announce his decisions and match making through acoustic guitar-driven speak-singing.

• Like 5

On 3/11/2017 at 7:16 PM, Oyaji said:

I wonder if Trips had a talk with him about how disappointing his run has been. What we've seen so far is Kenta playfighting as a WWE wrestler. It hasn't worked but he's so great that I hope he figures it out.

He did that a year ago. KENTA was trying to work WWE-style for his first run and Trips told him to stop and be himself.

• Like 1

I think that theme was Anvil's before 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

THIS is the correct thread!

Why in the wide, wide world of sports isn't Heavy Machinery coming out to a reproduced version of this?

Just to note, that was Anvil's theme first. You can hear it in the November 1991 match with Ric Flair which had the Beverley Brothers post-match attack.