DVDVR Message Board

NXT MARCH 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Can we talk about the show here? If not, I apologize.

1) My man Patrick Clark! I wish he got to rock the mic because the Chapelle-As-Prince gimmick is so funny. His match w/ Maluta or whatever his name wasn't much, but I liked the psychology. Clark's a really good cheapshot artist. Percy got over the whole "had to fight because he just wanted to let his freak flag fly" deal. That's how picked on kids fight-- raking eyes, clipping knees and looking for advantages. No matter what, Clark really shows a lot of enthusiasm. He's raw but it's pretty clear he wants to be good and is willing to throw himself into a character. I think he was also trying to pull off some pro-Trump thing on house shows for a minute?

2) Asuka vs. Royce was also decent. I really liked the story with Royce hurting Asuka's wing and working on it. However, I'm over Asuka-As-Conqueror. She's trapped. She needs to show vulnerability to make me believe she can lose yet her character is that she's an unbeatable force of nature. She's not "finding a way to win" like Bayley. She can't convincingly fight from underneath because of how she's booked. Replace Asuka in this match with Bayley (underdog fighting through the pain and odds)  or Sasha (using her wits to do-unto-others) and it's a lot different and, IMO, better.

3) The Revival running the game rules. My dudes.

I dig the AoP generally, but can I say that Akam is really getting it together. Bumps great, hurty offense, and has a lot of presence. I could do without the "boo. they are foreign" trash talk. Aren't they speaking different languages anyway? (Rezar is Albanian, but I'm guessing that Akam isn't with a name like Sunny Dhinsa). It reminds me of Low Down, where they have to introduce a xenophobic element to the gimmick, cos er, I dunno, WRESTLING.

Still, big, mean trash talking monsters is all good, though that Full Sail crowd was dead even for DIY for some reason. Revival were great at the end.

Ohno looks terrible. A guy gets cut, then gets brought back in the main event and he still looks like he's turning up for an IT interview. For gods sake man have some pride. 

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think it would have been better for Bayley to win he the first title at  Wrestlemania, ending Charlotte's streak, only to have Asuka debut the next night and say she's coming for Bayley's title again.

More likely - Charlotte will end Asuka's streak since more people to get title reigns off of

I have to rummage for the original tweet I saw yesterday but the next Full Sail tapings (at least I am pretty sure it is the next) aren't sold out yet which is the first time in forever that that has happened

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have to rummage for the original tweet I saw yesterday but the next Full Sail tapings (at least I am pretty sure it is the next) aren't sold out yet which is the first time in forever that that has happened

They are taping the Wednesday after mania. That is sold out and the one a few weeks later isn't. It's stupid to do tapings so close together but whatever. 

On 3/3/2017 at 10:00 AM, Library Dude said:

Ohno looks terrible. A guy gets cut, then gets brought back in the main event and he still looks like he's turning up for an IT interview. For gods sake man have some pride. 

I've had many IT interviews and I can say I (and others I know) have had more pride in dressing for that than anything Ohno's worn in NXT.  But I'm more concerned with his wrestling matches than anything he wears outside of it.

• Like 1

TJP/Nakamura was really good. Best thing TJ's done since the CWC, and best thing Nak's done since his match with Aries at The End. Good match structure based around the size/rank difference, their show-off ring styles meshed well, non-lazy mat-wrestling sequences, and Nak blowing off the leg work didn't bother me as much since they went of their way to make the story Nak winning with his normal offense indicated he was 100% healthy so it actually built to something.

1 hour ago, Red is Dead said:

So how are they going to spell Tommy's NXT first name? Alasdair, Alaster, Alastair?

Good vignette, by the looks.

Probably Aleister, since he took the name from Aleister Crowley.

And for people complaining about the NXT women's division; it's looking to pick up bigly sometime after Mania:

Kairi Hojo

Nixon Newell

Evie

Heidi Lovelace

Kimber Lee

Most likely Io Shirai...

Ember Moon

Looks pretty good...

Hey, they found a use for Ho Ho Lun!

It's never a good sign when it looks like the graphics department used the Windows 98 screensaver to make your entrance video.  And right on time, there's the Authors of Pain to break up that match.  Loved Dawson's reaction to the AoP's path of destruction.

TJP and Nakamura was a damn good match.

19 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Probably Aleister, since he took the name from Aleister Crowley.

And for people complaining about the NXT women's division; it's looking to pick up bigly sometime after Mania:

Maybe Zeuxis at some point ...