DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I know Dutch is on TNA creative but if Swagger could get Dutch to be his manager in potentially Japan and the indies that would be epic. Like a bizzaro world Brock and Paul. Fuck Dutch accompaning Jack to his MMA fight would absolutely fucking rule

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I look forward to Jack to soon debut in Impact Wrestling as Jake Tapper.

Wait...Nope, that won't work.

What's Swag Jacker doing at the Aggro Crag Impact Zone!? 

Judging by how fast everyone's being released, they'd probably lose him. 

Story from WON

Jack Swagger has requested his release from WWE.

In an appearance on "Beyond the Fight" with Chael Sonnen on Wednesday, Swagger announced the news and said that his decision to leave the company was made because of a lack of opportunities in WWE and the sides being so far apart in contract negotiations.

"As of yesterday, Chael, I asked for my release from WWE," Swagger said. "It's still kind of an ongoing process right now. Basically, it came down to contract negotiations and we were way off. They didn't value me at what I thought I was valued at. So, you can be angry about it because wrestling is something that you get so passionate about, but this was a business decision. They weren't giving me the opportunity to make the full amount of income I could for my family, so when you put it like that it's time to go."

Swagger said that the start-and-stop nature of his booking was frustrating, but noted that it's something that happens all of the time and that there are two people in a room in WWE who determine who the best wrestlers are even though the crowd may like others more.

When asked what his plans are going forward, Swagger noted that he's young and is leaving because he wasn't getting opportunities. He said that he intends to keep wrestling and wants to go to Mexico, the UK, and Japan, but it would be hard to turn down a good offer to try out mixed martial arts.

Prior to requesting his release, Swagger had been relegated to only making appearances on house shows. He switched brands and joined the SmackDown roster after being drafted to Raw in last July's WWE draft, but hasn't appeared on TV in months following a brief feud with Baron Corbin.

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

Chael Sonnen of all people is reporting that Jack Swagger has been given his release from WWE.

Whatta scoop...of poop. 

He was ok at first with the All American American thing in WWECW. After that is a blur of bland to me. 

I always found Swagger to be a perfect no-nonsense type of guy, great look, good strength and he looked strong as a bull. He wasn't a good talker, but as some already stated, he was fine with a manager. He has one World Championship under his belt, I can see him doing fine in Japan. Hope he finds his way.

I honestly think it's interesting how he even stated he would leave for financial reasons, yet continue wrestling. While he is not the typical "Indy-guy", it seems like he has some good opportunities to make money outside of WWE.

I'm probably willing to buy snakes by the ton for Bray to catch if it keeps him off my tv.

I know there's a Zack Sabre backlash around here, but I think voting Kyle O'Reilly as runner-up for the technical award is a lot more absurd than giving the award to Zack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Looking at a WWE calendar (don't ask) with a coworker who doesn't know I'm a wrestling fan.

Dean Ambrose: this is the guy who gets sandwiches for the other guys

Bray Wyatt: this guy catches snakes

I was watching some stuff with a friend recently when he referred to Corey Graves as "Billy the exterminator" and now I can't unsee it.

• Like 1

Pity about Swagger. I was a big fan. His matches with Christian in ECW were promising, and although he couldn't talk for shit, I'd hoped they would have let him be a no-nonsense, tough guy heel/stoic face.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I'm probably willing to buy snakes by the ton for Bray to catch if it keeps him off my tv.

I know there's a Zack Sabre backlash around here, but I think voting Kyle O'Reilly as runner-up for the technical award is a lot more absurd than giving the award to Zack.

What really constitutes a "Technical wrestler" and a "Brawler" anymore anyways?

Hope you guys got pliers, because I got a bug up my butt about something. 

So I shared the link of the recent argument between CW Anderson and Paul Heyman. 

Anderson said Heyman was a crook and left the ECW guys high and dry, which is basically true. But Heyman being the man he is, decided to dispute the man he left jobless and in debt. 

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/ecw-cw-anderson-interview-paul-heyman-twitter-rant/
So Uproxx gets involved and does an article about CW being "Ethered". They don't bother posting CW's reply until I asked them about it on Twitter and even then it was very grudging. Like they resented the concept of an ethering being undone. http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/cw-anderson-paul-heyman-ecw-feud-take-the-l/

Now can you imagine a site like Uproxx doing an article about how an Enron exec totally ethered a former employee he ripped off? I really don't see that happening. But this is the toxic wrestling fan culture and culture in general. As a society we tend to let the dickhead with the bigger forum get the last word. Which in the age of the internet is inexcusable. 

Heyman should be kissing any former ECW wrestlers ass. If they insult him, he should nod in agreement. That is the very least he should do. 

He can't understand what it is like to be a struggling wrestler because he has never struggled. By his own admission he comes from money. So he always had a safety net working Memphis and Alabama. 

You can trace him being shitty back to 95 when he "fired" Sabu for choosing a New Japan booking over ECW. Keep in mind Sabu broke his neck working an ECW Arena show two months before. I think if someone breaks their neck working for you, maybe you cut them some slack. 

As a manager, I think he has been mediocre since 1995, His WWE work with Brock and Punk has been nothing special. I think Cesaro was doing much better with Dutch than when they paired him with Heyman. Which is not Heyman's fault, that was WWE trying to pop the Wrestlemania weekend fans who have proven they have more money than brains. 

In conclusion, did somebody say fired up? 

• Like 11

I thought Jack Swagger was great when he was the delusional "All American American American" athlete, and his not-so-great promos and lisp totally played into that promo style, plus the stuff like the Swagger Soaring Eagle and his dad was amazing.  Around the time they cut all that out and made him a SERIOUS WRESTLER was where they cut his legs out from under him.  He was getting over with Coulter, but then they bungled that gimmick up, then when he got over with that one, they cut it off.  So, I think he was a guy who could have had more potential/a better role, but it's also not like WWE's going to really miss him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Yo...i like that post.  Fired up and not believing the bullshit.  

Damn right I'm swinging wild. Though I did leave out the part about Brock being one punch to the gut from becoming a human colostomy bag. 

• Like 1