DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2017

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

My biggest current fear for Canadian soccer is that Cyle Larin is sold to West Ham and plays the 89th and 90th minute of like 23 games as a substitute, and simply stops developing altogether.

You left out the part where he comes back and signs with the Whitecaps as their DP. It's the circle of life for all exceptional young American and Canadian players.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

(Counting USL Orlando has existed for like 6 whole years) 

They were the original Austin Aztex for two years, before they became Orlando City. Founded 2007, in a Pub in Stoke on Trent. On a rainy Tuesday night, obviously.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm paraphrasing, but after the Arsenal vs Stoke game last week, Wenger was talking about how Leicester last season and Chelsea this season had an advantage in the league because they weren't it Europe. So someone asked him if, had Arsenal not qualified for the Champ's League every season for the last 20 years, would they have won more league titles? And he left the press conference without answering.

I might be the last guy in the world who deems Wenger a good coach and actually kind of likes him. But damn, some of the stuff he says is weird.

"It's not fair we have to play badly in Europe" is by far my least favourite trope from English football, yeah it's utterly devastated Real Madrid and Bayern every year. And for a media group that loves the Best League In the World card, the bottom half of the English top division table is no better than the bottom half of anything else. A ton of plugs and teams praying for 1-0. About the only team there I feel strongly about enjoying is Swansea, but now they want John Terry so apparently they have terrible taste and want to repeat Rio Ferdinand at QPR embarrassing himself.

• Like 1

Swansea's players had two days off last week, so they could go to Ibiza and go to the Beach.

There is a beach in Swansea. I've been on it. It's opposite the University.

• Like 2

Ticket for Ireland-Mexico purchased for  $20 via SeatGeek. I have seen Ireland live once before several years back when they lost 1-0 to Spain at Yankee Stadium. You would think Ireland and Mexico would draw a huge crowd in the N.Y. Metro market but ticket sales aren't going great. They are being dumped on the secondary market like crazy and they may as well held the match at 25k seat Red Bull Arena and not MetLife. Anyways, come on Ireland!!!

I have a bad feeling that in a little over two hours I will be very sad seeing the Special One try and explain away total failure.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

I have a bad feeling that in a little over two hours I will be very sad seeing the Special One try and explain away total failure.

"Shut up sabremike!". Just a thoroughly professional performance. Glad we were able to sub on Rooney late as a probable farewell

Back in 1995, when I was living in Swansea, the lads andI watched the final day of the Premier League whilst antagonising the Man U fans on the other table (Blackburn won the league). Then a week later we did the same thing during the FA Cup final (Everton won). Then a week later, it was the Champions League final, Ajax vs A.C. Milan. We asked the Man U fans who they were supporting,. and they said Milan. So we became Ajax fans for the night. It was a good night.

Sam Allardyce left Crystal Phallus yesterday. Seems to be retiring. What is it about Palace and the off-season that makes long-ball managers want to leave?

20 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

No. Everton got that because United won the League Cup and Arsenal and Chelsea are in the FA Cup final. United going to the Champions League just means two English teams going to Europa instead of three.

OK thanks for clearing that up!

Arsenal 2 - 1 Chelsea. Wenger now has more FA Cups (7) than any other manager in the history of the FA Cup (which only started in 1871).

• Like 1

Dortmund 2 - 1 Frankfurt in an exciting German Cup final. Both teams played a pretty open match in front of a vivid crowd. The first half saw Dortmund pressuring early on, getting quite a few dangerous breaks on both wings. Frankfurt was on the backfoot and quickly conceeded a beautiful and well worked goal by Dembele after 8 minutes. It almost seemed like Dortmund tried to calm down the match, which somehow made Frankfurt remember there is only one chance to win a cup final, by leaving everything on the pitch. They started attacking Dortmund deep in their own half, causing several defensive errors from BVB, One of those errors lead to Rebic equalizing for Eintracht, the goal equally as well worked as Dortmund´s. The favourites were visibly shaken after that, another huge opportunity for Frankfurt ended on the right goal post.

The half ended with Dortmund barely hanging on a 1-1 draw and Frankfurt pushing, Reus and Schmelzer out with injuries for Borussia and Eintracht pushed by their noisy supporters. The final had an odd resemblance to the 2015 final between Dortmund and Wolfsburg, in which Dortmund started out strong and with an early goal only to go down 1-3 at halftime. The difference was the result being 1-1. Beginning of the second half looked much like the start of the match, the favourites creating lots of opportunities. Their attack seemed revitalised by the substitution of Pulisic. This time there was no early goal, a Aubameyang overhead kick was oddly deflected onto the crossbar and Dortmund came very close time and again. In the middle of the half a mistimed run by Frankfurt´s GK Hradecky floored Pulisic. One of the clearer penalties you will see this year was taken and converted by Aubameyang, who lopped the ball into the middle. The last twenty minutes saw a final Eintracht push and another strike of Aubameyang landing at the woodwork. Really fun cup fight, way better than the deflated Dortmund v Wolfsburg match or the last two Bayern v Dortmund superclashes.

Blackpool are back up to League 1 after beating Exeter 2-1 yesterday. A Tangerine fan boycott over their hated owners means a grand total of 5000 fans showed up at Wembley (they sent upwards of 30-35000 fans to their last two playoff finals). Woof. 

• Like 2