DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2017

Dolfan in NYC

It's Reading vs Huddersfield for all the marbles. The single richest game in world soccer, with as much as £200 million to the winner. UP THE TERRIERS! 

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎16 at 5:47 PM, odessasteps said:

Shame. Did I see there is also a handball controversy over the reading goal? 

I saw a low-quality video of the play. I thought it was a penalty. Felt bad for the guy because it was off towards the side of the penalty area, but when you play a ball off your chest onto your arm that is clearly away from your body, that's a handball.

Miami Beckham United released their designs for a stadium in the Overtown neighborhood.

beckhamnewstadium.jpg

If you noticed, there's no garage. This seems to be a bit of a concern for the county commissioners that need to approve MBU's purchase of 3 more acres in order to begin construction. 

IF... and it's a big if... it gets approved in early June, the new team probably begins play in 2019 (probably playing in Marlins Park) with Posh Spice Memorial Stadium opening in 2021. 

On 08/05/2017 at 10:05 AM, The Natural said:

Bradford City in the League 1 play-off final against Millwall. It's my team, the Bantams against the side I don't want at all to get promoted out of the ones who made the play-off places. C'mon City!

Fucking Millwall win in the 85th minute. Fucking gutted losing to them.

Bundesliga finished today. Bayern had won another early championship, as most of you saw. Red Bull finished runner up, Dortmund "medalled" in third place, Aubameyang winning top goalscorer. Hoffenheim will enter the CL qualifiers. Cologne and Berlin secure Euro-League spots. Freiburg could join them, should Dortmund win the cup final against Frankfurt next weekend.

Darmstadt and Ingolstadt were directly relegated. Hamburger SV avoided their third relegational playoff by scoring late against direct rival Wolfsburg on the last matchday. Wolfsburg will meet 2. Bundesliga's 3rd place Eintracht Braunschweig in the playoff held under UEFA playoff rules  (two legs, away goal tiebreaker, extra time and pks if necessary). This WOULD be a derby by regional criteria, but since Wolfsburg doesn't have much of a fan culture, it won't be nearly as heated as it should be.

Definetly promoted are Stuttgart and Hannover, both after just one year in 2. Bundesliga. Sorry for not giving as detailed in my write up as I was over the last years. I just wasn't that into it this season.

• Like 3

The clock is actually in place since Hamburg is the only founding member of the Bundesliga to have never been relegated. As a nitpicker I have to say the clock isn't showing time since last relegated since they have actually never been relegated. ;D

• Like 1

@ChesterCopperpot I am going to be in Toronto next weekend and will be going to BMO for the match vs Cowlumbus. Was wondering if you can give me tips/advice on visiting, such as finding street parking (my friend absolutely HATES to pay for parking), any places to eat near the stadium (realize this may be tough as the stadium is on the expo grounds), concessions prices and what is worth getting, any type of fan zone where you can get freebies and do they have a team store (I would like a Jozy shirt as he will always be a fave of mine. I saw his first ever pro goal at Giants Stadium in 2006 vs Cowlumbus)? Any type of info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fucking Millwall win in the 85th minute. Fucking gutted losing to them.

Stupid Millwall fans with the pitch invasion as well. Stuart McCall said he came close to clocking some.

With their victory over Hearts today Celtic become the first Scottish side in well over a century to go through an entire season in the league unbeaten. The Invincible Bhoys!!! 

Missed it yesterday but in the Dortmund game, not only did the guy injured in the bus attack (bartra) play, but Marco Reus let Aubameyang take the game winning penalty so he could win the German Golden Boot. 

Taylor Twelleman trying to convince everyone that MLS selling the league's best young players for a fraction of what they are worth to European sides would be good for the league is... something.

I'm paraphrasing, but after the Arsenal vs Stoke game last week, Wenger was talking about how Leicester last season and Chelsea this season had an advantage in the league because they weren't it Europe. So someone asked him if, had Arsenal not qualified for the Champ's League every season for the last 20 years, would they have won more league titles? And he left the press conference without answering.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Taylor Twelleman trying to convince everyone that MLS selling the league's best young players for a fraction of what they are worth to European sides would be good for the league is... something.

My biggest current fear for Canadian soccer is that Cyle Larin is sold to some club like West Ham and plays the 89th and 90th minute of like 23 games as a substitute, and simply stops developing altogether.

Orlando supporters taunting NYCFC with "you ain't got no history" taunts is peak MLS supporters idiocy (Counting USL Orlando has existed for like 6 whole years and came into MLS at the same time as City). It's like the Alanta announcer yesterday talking about the team playing in "it's traditional kit". The pretentiousness borders on parody. Oh and speaking of history today is the one year anniversary of the Red Bull Wedding at Yankee Stadium.