DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live, 28th February 2017.

The Natural

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

McMahon has always loved the "evil must be fought with another kind of evil" logic from the Riddick movies, but no one in creative has any idea of how to book an anti-hero tweener like Austin these days.

It's a recipe that is doomed to failure anyway if legit heat magnet Randy Orton is the main ingredient. 

To be fair, the "fight fire with fire" angle is tried, true and dependable when done properly. But it's best suited for the long game, and they've fast-forwarded the story by several chapters last night.

Orton wouldn't be the first guy I'd choose to tell this story.  But he would fine with some patience committed to the process. Patience, however, is not WWE's strong suit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

Also Alexa's eyeshadow job steals my attention when she does promo segments, she will eventually be the greatest babyface after the heel run. Alexa has got the look and all the talent in the world if you forget the major mess up in the finish when Naomi won the title. Future legend status almost reached.

Probably not. She was a terrible face in NXT because she was such a natural heel.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

To be fair, the "fight fire with fire" angle is tried, true and dependable when done properly. But it's best suited for the long game, and they've fast-forwarded the story by several chapters last night.

Orton wouldn't be the first guy I'd choose to tell this story

Bingo!

The person retaliating after first injury and taking an eye for an eye is someone you want to win.

This story's happy ending for me will come in the form of Bray hitting Sister Abigail and planting Randy nose first into the title belt when the ref ain't looking and then pinning Orton for a three count.

• Like 4

Using a cheesy vignette for Orton finally turning on Bray was bad. The crowd has been waiting for so long for Orton to finally turn on Bray with an "RKO Outta Nowhere!", but we get this instead. The pop would've been huge if Randy did the turn with an RKO in the ring to end SD. Then maybe they could've done this vignette next week or something when Bray comes to the ring to call out Randy and instead he appears on the tron and then this vignette happens.

• Like 2

I started out the show thinking Harper was going to get a high-profile title match at Mania, and hoping that they'd find something better to do with the best wrestler in the world's talents other than prop up a 47 year-old non-wrestler.

I ended the night thinking AJ is definitely fighting Shane, and Harper will probably be the last guy eliminated by Braun Strowman in the ATGMBR. Man I hate wrestling.

• Like 7

The Cena/Nikki promo seemed designed to appeal to people's deranged relatives who post Facebook image memes about how terrible haters are

I liked the "if I had stroke you think I'd be wrestling you at mania" zinger but the fact that he said he'd rather be wrestling Undertaker instead of the guy who's world champion right now was maddening

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Using a cheesy vignette for Orton finally turning on Bray was bad. The crowd has been waiting for so long for Orton to finally turn on Bray with an "RKO Outta Nowhere!", but we get this instead. The pop would've been huge if Randy did the turn with an RKO in the ring to end SD. Then maybe they could've done this vignette next week or something when Bray comes to the ring to call out Randy and instead he appears on the tron and then this vignette happens.

Hell, they could have just stolen the same finish from the Raw where Daniel Bryan turned on Bray. That would have been stale, but it at least would have been marginally better than what actually happened. The biggest problem though, is that once again they've taken a wrestler and tried to do the same thing with Daniel Bryan, thinking that fans would desperately want Orton to turn or they would treat Orton with some kind of sympathy. Except it's Randy Orton and he isn't that likable. He's just a dirtbag, and not even an endearing dirtbag, like DDP. Anyway, like you said, having Orton pull off the turn in the arena would have been better than how they executed it.

It also occurred to me that another reason why this doesn't work is that it's Bray being bested by another evil mastermind. Evil mastermind getting his just desserts from another evil mastermind isn't compelling.

5 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I loved that closing segment, but I can't see how Randy is a face for burning down someone's childhood home..err..shack.

Don't forget Bray's "sister" was supposedly buried under the floor boards.

When I watched this back on Talking Smack it felt like this was a Kane angle they just inserted Randy Orton in to and made a main event program. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Oh, how I hope Rosemary leaves TNA. She'd be gold as Sister Abagail, the corpsepaint wearing nun.

Well at the rate TNA is letting people go simply because they can't afford them, Rosemary might be a Wyatt soon enough.

• Like 2

If Rosemary isn't available, Su Yung could work wonders with the Abigail role as well.

But with Rosemary, do you also get cousin Abyss and other cousin Steve as a package deal?

2 minutes ago, zev said:

If Rosemary isn't available, Su Yung could work wonders with the Abigail role as well.

But with Rosemary, do you also get cousin Abyss and other cousin Steve as a package deal?

I'd take Cousin Crazy Steve. The only way I take Abyss is if it's Cousin Joseph Parks, the deranged backwoods cult lawyer.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd take Cousin Crazy Steve. The only way I take Abyss is if it's Cousin Joseph Parks, the deranged backwoods cult lawyer.

But would we want wacky civil court shenanigans when Parks sues Orton for damages to the compound?

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So Corrupt Southern Sherriff Crazzy Steve and the Crooked Country Lawyer Joseph Parks... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

So Corrupt Southern Sherriff Crazzy Steve and the Crooked Country Lawyer Joseph Parks... 

They do have a Bo and a Luke on the payroll already that have family and friends ties to Bray, let's just go full on Dukes of Hazard revival. (Vance and Coy can be played by the Revival.)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, zev said:

But would we want wacky civil court shenanigans when Parks sues Orton for damages to the compound?

It can't be any worse than Randy posing outside Bray's burning meth lab as Bray slams his head against the announce table.

3 minutes ago, zev said:

If it had been Erick Rowan instead of Orton burning down the multi-camera friendly shack, would the segment have had a higher approval rating?

Well there would have been way less absurdly dramatic dialog and posing and face fucking the camera with his eyes and it would have been like a half hour shorter. 

And it could have ended with Rowan's awesome Jan-Hammer-getting-a-hand-job music. 

• Like 3