DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live, 28th February 2017.

The Natural

Opening was intense, and both Miz and Cena are good enough to sell it. But by saying Miz just delivered the same attacks Styles and others have, Cena missed an opportunity to make this unique. In the past, it was people questioning his commitment to wrestling and (with only half a wink) "workrate". Miz has spent the past few months explicitly arguing that those are bullshit concerns, though. He's not Punk or Bryan, and doesn't want to be. If Cena doesn't love wrestling in the abstract, who cares? He's not mad because Cena "sold out", not really, but because he's done a better job of it. Cena's stock "I'm John Cena, love me or hate me, RESPECT, you'd be booked better if you were better" was functionally the same retort he's given for years to those other guys, and as such, mostly a retort to a promo Miz didn't give. So, not as interesting as it could have been, for me, but still probably better by force of personality than a feud about who does more local media for the brand should be. Broadly, I'm just tired of every Cena feud being about the existential weight of John Cena, the character, and the associated meta-narrative. 

I enjoyed what we got of Harper/Styles, and would have liked it more with a different finish. But I'd also like both guys to be doing something else (or anything at all, in Harper's case) at Wrestlemania. Styles, at least, seems valued. Shane is a high profile opponent, and JBL isn't throwing around HBK comparisons for anyone else. 

Orton is a lunatic, an asshole, and has always been. So I'm perhaps willing to go along with the lack of reason for his turn, and even the corny nature of the execution. It's stupid, but then, he's stupid. 

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Daniel on Talking Smack did mention before they figure out the Smackdown title picture they have to investigate if Orton would be changed with any crimes.

Orton DDT'd Stephanie McMahon unconscious, then sexually assaulted her as her husband watched while handcuffed to the ring.  I'll wager ol' Randy will be just dandy.

• Like 1

Orton either knew his Rumble win was iron clad and chanced luring Bray into a false sense of security AND the GM of the company promoting a battle royal for HIS title shot, or y'know, he's a dumbass. This storyline is garbage. 

Luke f'in Harper has basically been used as a bridge to get to Wyatt/Orton AND AJ/Shane and looked like a complete goober in the process, poor bloke.

Fuck this company at times.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, caley said:

I remember last week when folks on here were all "Harper's not only a possibility to be in a WM main event, he's almost definitely going to be!" and I didn't have the heart to say "No, no, no, no, that's never going to happen."

Lucky for you I'm always around to be That Asshole. Everyone just ignored it and went on living in their fantasy booking world, though.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Orton either knew his Rumble win was iron clad and chanced luring Bray into a false sense of security AND the GM of the company promoting a battle royal for HIS title shot, or y'know, he's a dumbass. This storyline is garbage. 

Luke f'in Harper has basically been used as a bridge to get to Wyatt/Orton AND AJ/Shane and looked like a complete goober in the process, poor bloke.

Fuck this company most of the time.

Fixed

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

"I joined the Wyatt family for 2 weeks. At no point did I consider arsoney" - Daniel Bryan Talking Smack

Then you weren't a true believer.

So, since WM is the feel good go home PPV, Bray retains while crippling Orton, right?

Congratulations Bray! You've leveled up to...TRANSITIONAL CHAMPION!

Also, how's about this for some bullshit. They're obviously going to build to Shane/AJ, that's clear now. They're going to award Orton the title shot and say that since he's the Rumble winner he has priority and tough nuggets for AJ. So for those keeping score at home:

• Cena can just come back and call his shot for a title match because he's the Being John Cena Champion
  • AJ abides and unfortunately loses
  • AJ doesn't get his mandatory rematch for the title and instead has to compete in the Elimination Chamber
  • AJ then has to compete in a triple threat match against Harper and Bray
  • To get a shot at the title, AJ has to win a battle royal, which ends in controversy
  • He then wins the match against Harper because of heaping piles of bullshit and thus earns his title shot
  • Except now Orton is going to be all "hold my beer" and will get the shot instead

AND AJ IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FUCKING HEEL IN ALL OF THIS AND PRESUMABLY ORTON IS THE FACE NOW?!?

I shouldn't think about this bullshit that hard because it gives me a fucking migraine, but this is seriously aggravating. AJ is in practically the same storyline Daniel Bryan was in, except no one is calling AJ a B+ player. No, instead, he just gets continually fucked over by the babyface management. I think our only hope is for the fans to start hijacking SDL to insert AJ into the title match at WM, but I doubt any of that happens and we instead see AJ eat a Van Terminator from Shane and Shane comes up about a foot short on that or botches it completely. That, or Shane tucks his chin on the Styles Clash.

• Like 7

They could have an out since they have some time on the clock to avoid Shane vs. AJ (I can hope)....

- DBry and Shane agree that Orton did surrender his title match (no fingers crossed behind his back bullshit), AJ did win his matches, he gets the mania shot

- Bray is pissed enough that he wants Orton immediately, Randy makes him put the title on the get the shot, Randy wins the belt

- Bray is upset, Harper tells him "TOLD YA SO!" then attacks him for being a dumb ass.

We'd then have:

AJ vs. Orton for the title

Bray vs. Harper in a grudge match

No Shane shitty punches at Mania.

A Winner is US!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The more likely scenario is they make Orton vs. AJ for the shot with Bray, Harper and Shane all getting involved

I just developed an ulcer by reading that sentence. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The more likely scenario is they make Orton vs. AJ for the shot with Bray, Harper and Shane all getting involved

This is the shittiest outcome and therefore the most likely.

It's like Occam's Razor for WWE booking. What would that be called? McMahon's Razor?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Same thing I use for Presidential news these days... 

Hanlon's Razor - "Never attribute to malice that which is easily explained by stupidity."

Ha! We were discussing today how the business of fake news has proven Poe's Law and Hanlon's Razor came up as a sidebar conversation.

We have a very cerebral water cooler crowd.  Sometimes I wish we'd talk about dumb shit and celebrities.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I loved that closing segment, but I can't see how Randy is a face for burning down someone's childhood home..err..shack.

McMahon has always loved the "evil must be fought with another kind of evil" logic from the Riddick movies, but no one in creative has any idea of how to book an anti-hero tweener like Austin these days.

It's a recipe that is doomed to failure anyway if legit heat magnet Randy Orton is the main ingredient. 

• Like 1

So Randy burned down the dreadnock swamp hideout. I hope Buzzer, Ripper , and Torch were not sleeping inside.  If the fire damaged the thunder machine Zartan will be furious.

But honestly I loved the Randy segment because it was so different. Also Alexa's eyeshadow job steals my attention when she does promo segments, she will eventually be the greatest babyface after the heel run. Alexa has got the look and all the talent in the world if you forget the major mess up in the finish when Naomi won the title. Future legend status almost reached.

• Like 1