DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live, 28th February 2017.

The Natural

3 minutes ago, zev said:

If it had been Erick Rowan instead of Orton burning down the multi-camera friendly shack, would the segment have had a higher approval rating?

Well there would have been way less absurdly dramatic dialog and posing and face fucking the camera with his eyes and it would have been like a half hour shorter. 

And it could have ended with Rowan's awesome Jan-Hammer-getting-a-hand-job music. 

• Like 3

I don't hate the Wyatt mythos. Make no mistake, I didn't love the closing segment but that's mostly because of Orton.  I like the idea that he was raised by a nun in an orphanage. Her name was sister Abigail. And her soul under the floor boards of the shack is where he draws his power from.  Wyatt was always a sick bastard. He killed his father many years ago. The first shots we see of him in the early vignettes are inside the shack with the rocking chair.  This has been reasonably well developed. 

It's too bad they are wasting it on Orton.  This could have been better suited for The Undertaker but then I remembered they did feud and it wasn't great.

I had been saying for months unfortunately AJ Styles was the odd man out in the main event picture.  Shame because he's the best in the world and carried the entire company for months.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Cristobal said:

I started out the show thinking Harper was going to get a high-profile title match at Mania, and hoping that they'd find something better to do with the best wrestler in the world's talents other than prop up a 47 year-old non-wrestler.

I ended the night thinking AJ is definitely fighting Shane, and Harper will probably be the last guy eliminated by Braun Strowman in the ATGMBR. Man I hate wrestling.

Well said.

The problem with the whole Wyatt thing from the beginning is they wanted to do a "cult" and instead they fell in love with their fancy camera effects and did a "B level horror film". Let me ask you a question, in ECW do you think Tommy Dreamer ever said "I will go through a flaming table Paul, because you are the master and I am the servant"? Nope. Because that's not how cults work.

They can't write a cult and Paul Heyman is right there, for gods sake.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more how the Wyatt thing went to shit because they started down the B-horror flick path. They took all of the most interesting parts of the gimmick away and doubled down on all of its weakest tendencies.

Closing segment was awful, but I wasn't really expecting anything better. It sucks for Harper, though, and AJ is being completely wasted. Cena seemed really by-the-numbers, although I did get a kick out of him telling the Miz that he stole Jericho's schtick.

Becky/Mickie is fun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bink_winkleman said:

Cena seemed really by-the-numbers, although I did get a kick out of him telling the Miz that he stole Jericho's schtick.

Even Cena knows that Chris Jericho invented everything

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 3:57 PM, Craig H said:

He's just a dirtbag, and not even an endearing dirtbag, like DDP.

Wacky Orton pulling faces is slightly endearing. You know, the Kanyon gimmick is right there for them to steal where he just RKOs random people out of nowhere. It'd keep him out of the title picture too. "Randy Orton has lost his mind because of the Wyatts! He just RKO'd [insert Main Event level wrestler]!"

You know what else? They could just have him be crazy and RKO Shane and then there's your Mania match with Orton. Two birds, one stone.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

When I am right, I am right

This will end with Shane pushing AJ off the top rope into an RKO, costing him the title shot. 

And Shane will somehow be the face. 

55 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I am trying to figure out any logical way this makes sense and headexplodes.gif.

Yeah, two guys have a claim to a pro wrestling title shot, and they're going to settle it with a wrestling match? How does that make sense?

1) The Wyatt segment sucked. I say that as the biggest Bray fan there is on here. I liked the idea in theory a ton. We already saw Bryan dupe his way into getting one back at Bray. And we've seen Randy Orton hit an RKO OUT OF NOWHERE on roughly 5000000000 people he has teamed with over the years. It'd get a big and quick pop from the crowd but so what? I like seeing something new and different. That was this, to say the least.

And I liked it in theory.

It's just that it dragged forever and ever. It seriously could have been a 3-minute segment and gotten all of it over. Just Randy saying something like "Bray, I won your trust for a reason. I'm no one's servant. And now I'm destroying your kingdom" and then he flicks the match. End of show as Bray freaks out watching. 

2) How have they changed The Wyatts from a cult to a horror movie motif? This makes zero sense to me and I am not seeing this argument. Bray still fancies himself a messiah/leader-of-men type and tosses out Marxist ideologies and why he should have power and no one else should. He moved on from the Hawaiian shirt look is pretty much all he's changed.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, two guys have a claim to a pro wrestling title shot, and they're going to settle it with a wrestling match? How does that make sense?

Nope. One guy won a shot and willingly gave it up. On national TV. They had two contests to determine a replacement, that the first party watched and was well aware of. Please make an analogy to any real life situation. 

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Nope. One guy won a shot and willingly gave it up. On national TV. They had two contests to determine a replacement, that the first party watched and was well aware of. Please make an analogy to any real life situation. 

I once duped the leader of a religious cult to play a mind game with him en route to a local table tennis championship.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I once duped the leader of a religious cult to play a mind game with him en route to a local table tennis championship.

Did he tell any of his disciples to sweep the leg?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

All you need to ask yourself is what was the stipulation of the harper/styles match? The answer is it was for a title match "at wrestlemania". Now explain why AJ Styles isn't in the title match at Wrestlemania.

because WWE?

• Like 4

WWE has put themselves in a bad spot.  They can't tell the story without a major gap in logic.

Orton will say that he wouldn't go to WM as long as Bray was his master.  With the barn burning, Bray no longer has a hold over him. Therefore, in his mind, Orton is free to take the match. Since Bryan/Shane didn't insist on Orton signing official documentation to relinquish his WM spot, he can still lay claim to it. It makes those two look stupid for not investigating the rules or any previous actions which could guide them in making a sound choice.  They've now wasted everyone's time for two weeks and Orton made them look foolish.

Also, with Styles pulling in Shane to take Harper's mule kick, they'll claim he didn't win clean.  If Shane were to do that, it would speak to his pettiness. Styles pinned Harper twice.  AJ won. And none of them would have been in the situation if the so-called impartial SDL leaders had actually thought about what they were doing.

So this will lead to Styles attacking Shane, which should grounds for AJ's termination or at least being sent to RAW to keep them from each other.  Instead, Shane will insist they DUKE IT OUT at the biggest showcase of them all! Ugh. Way to over-complicate the story, WWE.

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

WWE has put themselves in a bad spot.  They can't tell the story without a major gap in logic.

Orton will say that he wouldn't go to WM as long as Bray was his master.  With the barn burning, Bray no longer has a hold over him. Therefore, in his mind, Orton is free to take the match. Since Bryan/Shane didn't insist on Orton signing official documentation to relinquish his WM spot, he can still lay claim to it. It makes those two look stupid for not investigating the rules or any previous actions which could guide them in making a sound choice.  They've now wasted everyone's time for two weeks and Orton made them look foolish.

The barn burning to release Ortons mind doesn't really fit either, because that was always his plan. He was never under Wyatts spell and always planned to screw him once he won his trust according to his speech. They never really made that a focal point during the angle for this to make sense. It focused more on Orton turning him against Harper. It made no sense for him to give up his shot if he was just going to say 'I was just playing and I wanna destroy you' 2 weeks later when literally nothing had changed to their on-screen story. The only ways Ortons actions make logical sense is if his plan was to screw over both AJ and Wyatt on the way to winning the title from the start. The only person who loses something that had been built up was Styles by losing his guaranteed title match at WM that he won fairly. The shack and corpse that Orton burnt down were ancillary to the Wyatt character and the significance of them (ie first time the chair in the shack was put over as his only place of solitude) was only really introduced in the same segment they were destroyed. If Harper had won the match would he still have burnt the shack down? With how illogically this has been booked, I wouldn't be shocked if Harper is back with Wyatt by WM.

Tune in next week to hear Harper say that he was a carpenter just like his daddy before he got into wrestling. They built that shack together and he's going to beat up Orton for burning his handiwork.