vs. JT Dunn (Beyond - 5/29/16)

vs. Keith Lee (Limitless - 5/28/16)

Also see: BOLA 16, whatever you might like outta EVOLVE

CODY RHODES

vs. Marty Scurll (WCPW)

vs. Ricochet (House of Glory)

vs. Ricochet (WCPW)

vs. Zack Sabre Jr (WCPW)

Also note - Cody has A LOT online without having to suffer through TNA or ROH. I guess companies are using him as the "free match" for their shows.

Does that first response not defeat the purpose of the tournament and particularly opening the thread up early? 

The best part of March Madness comes when people have to think about why they choose one rassler over another and try to justify it. Well, and finding new people that I normally wouldn't watch. Yeah, it's a mostly subjective art form but March Madness works best, I feel, when we pretend it's not just a popularity contest. 

In saying that, I've never been that impressed by Cody. He's a fine worker but clearly has gotten his chances because of his father. From what I've seen, his best work came in BOLA. He looked genuinely enthusiastic to be there and put in a great effort. 

While LU didn't have the best year, Cobb's work in the indies has been stellar. He killed it at a local indie in Vancouver (RIP WPW) and to see his strength in person is just an awesome sight to behold. He was fantastic in PWG and I would argue that the criticism of his gas tank were overblown. He's so great that he can start a match as an unknown and win the crowd over by the end of his first match. Just look at his Rev Pro debut for evidence. Conversely, I don't feel like Cody brings much that you can't find in a lot of his contemporaries. 

You know you're at least going to get a good match out of Cobb every time he's out there. I've seen a lot of below average matches from Cody. 

Cody might be the guy in the field I most look at has taken a spot of someone I might have had an interest in actually watching in this tournament. I mean, he's fine, but I'll never go out of my way to watch Cody Rhodes on the indies. No offense to him or anything, he's just not that interesting of a talent.

Cobb though? Fuck yes to Cobb. That dude is money, and should be an easy winner here.

I actually find Cody Rhodes, serious indy wrestler, less interesting than Cody Rhodes, WWE guy with wacky gimmick.  His skill set is suited more for WWE, imo.  Ironic since he didn't get over all that well in the years he was there.  To me, he's pretty average in the ring and very bland as a serious character.  When he can't fall back on the wacky Stardust schick and has to make an impression based off ring work and physical charisma, he comes up a little short.

• Like 3

Cody is a perfectly fine wrestler but he has limitations. I applaud him for wanting to try to go out and make a name for himself outside of WWE but he hasn't really shown that he is more than what he ever showed in WWE. I thought he was great tagging with Goldust both as Cody and Stardust and enjoyed that Stardust gimmick for what it was but serious Cody is not as interesting for me and he has not shown me anything that makes me look forward to see him. 

What I've seen of Cobb makes me want to see more Cobb- Cobb easily.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Cody is a perfectly fine wrestler but he has limitations. I applaud him for wanting to try to go out and make a name for himself outside of WWE but he hasn't really shown that he is more than what he ever showed in WWE.

I think this is an important part of the equation for me.  I do think Cody is at the epicenter of one of the most interesting narratives of the last year in a presumptive WWE lifer suddenly giving it all up to go out on his own and do other cool shit in the business that obviously means a lot to him and others, including working PWG/BOLA and New Japan/ROH, getting matches with people like Chris Hero and ZSJ, and even just being the guy working with Sammy Guevara in front of a couple dozen paid.  I honestly still think that's a pretty cool development, and want to show him some love for it.

That said, Jeff Cobb is a much more intriguing and entertaining all-around talent at this stage, and he's definitely got the leg up here.

Cobb is screwed by the bracket here. Just looking at things, if he was in that Asuka/Omega/Okada/Jericho/Cavernario/Yehi bracket, I think he has an honest shot at the elite 8. As it is, no way he gets out of round 1 against Hero. He's a hoss with great power offense, the ability to sell appropriately, the range to work two characters in two completely different settings, a slew of entertaining wheel title matches in Lucha Underground and a bunch of big time indy matches. He checks off a lot of boxes and had a great year. 

I refuse to say anything negative about Cody, but he's really an afterthought for me here.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Cobb for days.  The Cody Rhodes: Indie Superstar experiment is failing miserably.

I'm easily voting Cobb, but I disagree on this point.  Cody is not going to have the high-caliber indy-style matches that others have.  But for most places he goes to he's drawn a ton of interest and it leads to either sellouts or really close to it.  To me that counts as a success.  And like @Sublime and @Cyanide said I applaud Cody for wanting to go this route and not only have a plan (list) in mind but cutting through whatever legal red tape to make things happen.

But Cobb's awesome, and seeing him live Friday sealed that for me.  It was my first time seeing him not as Matanza and I was quite impressed by him.  Even if he was strictly Matanza this voting year I'd vote him over Cody.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm easily voting Cobb, but I disagree on this point.  Cody is not going to have the high-caliber indy-style matches that others have.  But for most places he goes to he's drawn a ton of interest and it leads to either sellouts or really close to it. 

Big dynasty wrestling names like Rhodes or Funk always draw interest but after that you have to deliver and IMO Cody has been mailing it in a lot.  I don't think he's terrible, but he certainly seems like he's just going through the motions.

His work in TNA is even more damning when you compare him to Galloway or Lashley who are both in the same fed and wrestle in front of an Impact Zone crowd as if it were MSG.

• Like 1

Cody Rhodes bet on himself in the last year, and it was a good plan to do so.

He just lost.

Before he left, people thought Cody Rhodes was a great talent who deserved some upward mobility as a main event player eventually. 

Now, people know Cody Rhodes is a ** machine. He's the Saturn of pro wrestlers- everyone seemed excited, but it eventually became "Yup. That is certainly Cody Rhodes in a ring. That is certainly an okay wrestling performance. That is a match that two people are having in a wrestling ring."

Cobb, on the other hand, could get people excited for him in two separate gimmicks and succeed with flying colors. Cobb destroys Cody here.

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic