RIPPA

BLACK TERRY vs. GRAN METALIK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces Revival

This poll is closed to new votes

BLACK TERRY

vs. Aero Boy (6/10/16 - Mask vs. Hair)

vs. El Hijo Del Diablo (IWRG - 9/18/16)

Also give your money to Black Terry Jr for the matches against Wotan (currently the Segunda Caida 2016 MOTY) and the match against Barbaro Cavernario

GRAN METALIK (aka Mascara Dorada)

vs. TJ Perkins (CWC Finals)

vs. Barbaro Cavernario (CMLL World Welterweight Championship)

vs. Rey Escorpion (CMLL - 7/28/16)

Also see - the rest of the CWC, especially match against Akira Tozawa

How does one even order stuff from Black Terry Jr? Just email him? I'll admit from the stuff on YouTube, the Black Terry hype seems like one of those Segunda Caida trends that just doesn't make sense to me. What's so awesome about an old guy stiffing the shit out of his opponents in front of 100 people? 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

How does one even order stuff from Black Terry Jr? Just email him? I'll admit from the stuff on YouTube, the Black Terry hype seems like one of those Segunda Caida trends that just doesn't make sense to me. What's so awesome about an old guy stiffing the shit out of his opponents in front of 100 people? 

You already answered your own question, probably.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I think there's a certain level of raw emotion and grit that comes out in those BT matches that I don't get from lots of other wrestling. Maybe the "in front of 100 people" actually helps sell the desperation, especially as there's plenty of wrestling that can similarly be described as "[a guy] stiffing the shit out of his opponents" (hi  Shibata) that does nothing for me.

This is probably the hardest one of the play-ins for me. Black Terry looks awesome when I see him, but Metalik/Dorada was just so reliably good on CMLL TV, and is one of the state of the art flyers in the world for me.

My favorite Dorada match from last year (vs. Mephisto in February) is out of the time period, so maybe that leans me towards Terry.

This is what I wrote about Black Terry vs Wotan:

Matt D, on 31 Aug 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

I hit the five minute mark on this and was a little worried. Yes, they were chopping the hell out of each other. Yes, they were headbutting one another like billygoats without any abandon. Yes, there was just the tiniest sign of working that made this art and not idiocy of two people hitting each other as hard as they could, like Terry getting rammed into the corner, but I was worried this was going to be one of those matches where two guys kill each other and there's simply nothing to latch on to, a gritty realism and violence, but no narrative, no story, no heart. There's a place for senseless violence, but I so much prefer sensible violence. 

Then they got in the ring and I had nothing to worry about, because Black Terry, just by the nature of who and what he really is, due to the nature of the limitations of his age and the endless skill that he's garnered over the years, grounded all of this perfectly for me. This is an old warrior, one that doesn't get those plush Friday night bookings, who's been in Arena Mexico wrestling twice in the last five years, who has nothing left but the fight and the adrenaline. That's the only thing that lets him push past the pain of a career of blood and bumps. All he has is the thrill of battle, bouncing from one struggle to the next, one arena to the next. So he goes and challenges the best and the worst, all in their own styles, because he is the old master of a thousand wars, has seen it all, and it only matters if he meets them half way.

He has all all of the old tricks (be it pulling an opponent off the apron or what), a gruff seriousness that prevents distraction (and Wotan suffered so much for celebrating in the ring when there was a chair in Terry's hand) and the ability to go over any line, because he'd been over all of them before (just like with that bottle). Wotan is at least twenty years younger, though the mask makes him somewhat unknowable. He's more agile, more physically resilient, more able to snap back from what Terry gives him. He's been the holder of multiple "extreme" titles, and may well represent, in this match, that more hardcore style that permeated into Mexican indies over the last two decades, that are wholly represented in Pagano and all of his localized, and increasingly mainstream star power. And Terry, as only he can, sinks down to that level to meet Wotan down in the gutter but never forgets who he is and all that he's learned, using every bit of it to fight for his life, once again against the odds. 

I can only think of one other wrestler so versatile, one other who can do so much, so well, and with such visceral meaning, all without foolish human constraints like "age" holding him back, and that's the person we voted as #2 ever in the GWE poll. Amazing spectacle, yes. But heart-pounding and emotionally gripping too. And that is the magic of Black Terry.

• RIPPA locked this topic