DVDVR Message Board

UFC 209: Woodley vs. Thompson II (3/4/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe the only silver lining for Luke Sanders after losing a fight where he was on the verge of 10-8'ing Iuri Marajo two consecutive rounds (minus the point deduction) is he's dating Becky Lynch.

That's all I got. Tough loss.

yeah, but thats a hell of an upside

• Like 1

I agree with the decision. Teymur was just sharper in every round and his chin stood up to all of Lando's offense. He also did a good job of changing levels and getting takedowns late, even if it wasn't on the mat long.

Well, he got rounds 3 and 5. The other three rounds could have went to anyone because of how little much was happened. Thompson probably did slightly more in round 1 but 2 and 4 might legit have been 10-10.

If I was Ray Thompson, I would have been pissed that my son legitimately didn't have much tangible offense in the last three rounds (he landed a nice punch to cap a round in either 3 or 4 but that was it) given Tyron wasn't throwing anything except one punch here or there. His diversity in strikes was nil. Hell, Tyron could have charged at him in the first four rounds because Thompson was just waiting to land a counter that wasn't there.

Yeah, I wouldn't call the decision a robbery. Thompson and Woodley were literally like neck and neck in terms of strikes landed for most of the fight. Thompson blew it big time considering Woodley was way less active than the first fight.

I wouldn't call it a robbery since Thompson didn't do enough to complain. Since Woodley won the 3rd and 5th, all he had to do was win one of the three close/inactive rounds to get the win. I don't think the last round should have been 10-8 since generally judges are so stingy with a 10-8 round and it requires more dominance than that, but even if it was 10-9 it wouldn't have changed the final outcome anyway.

I think I was so focused on Woodley's lack of activity that I immediately jumped to thinking it was a robbery. In hindsight, you guys are right, Wonderboy did himself no favors and I overlooked how he just did as little as Woodley in rounds 1 and 2.

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I wouldn't call it a robbery since Thompson didn't do enough to complain. Since Woodley won the 3rd and 5th, all he had to do was win one of the three close/inactive rounds to get the win. I don't think the last round should have been 10-8 since generally judges are so stingy with a 10-8 round and it requires more dominance than that, but even if it was 10-9 it wouldn't have changed the final outcome anyway.

The final knockdown happened with 45 seconds left in the round. The prior 4:15 was nothing happening. For him to get a 10-8 in that round, he would've needed to put Wonderboy in and out of consciousness multiple times. I don't understand why I saw people discussing a 10-8. It's not boxing. Now, no judge scoring a 10-10 round at some point was more of a problem.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The final knockdown happened with 45 seconds left in the round. The prior 4:15 was nothing happening. For him to get a 10-8 in that round, he would've needed to put Wonderboy in and out of consciousness multiple times. I don't understand why I saw people discussing a 10-8. It's not boxing. Now, no judge scoring a 10-10 round at some point was more of a problem.

I agree, hence my surprise one judge gave it a 10-8. Maybe they were confused and thought they were using the new rules or something.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think I was so focused on Woodley's lack of activity that I immediately jumped to thinking it was a robbery. In hindsight, you guys are right, Wonderboy did himself no favors and I overlooked how he just did as little as Woodley in rounds 1 and 2.

It wasn't just you, I think people just got so annoyed with him doing so little in the first two rounds. I am not sure about the official stats but there were less than 30 landed strikes combined in the first ten minutes (or much less, depending on which site is reporting it). I wish they would do more 10-10, 9-9, whatever for rounds like those first two when neither did anything to really deserve the round.

It's my problem with the 10 point must system.  There are these barely marginal 10-9s, toss-up 10-9s, or there is a moderately dominant 10-9 or a super dominant 10-9.  It's not an effective way to score an MMA fight.

• Like 1

Oh, for sure. I'm just saying that it's not the Ten Point Must system's fault that judges can't use it right. There are plenty of numbers between one and nine that could be used to describe how wide the difference is between the two fighters that aren't just aren't.

I thought the decision was bullshit, but respect the fact that Wonderboy didn't make it his priority to keep the decision out of the judges' hands.

You've lost twice now, bro.  Backodabus.

• Like 1

Remember when everyone thought Tyron Woodley was a layup for Wonderboy? 

Thompson fought 10 rounds against the man, and I was probably impressed by him in only two of them. This is why they fight em, folks.