DVDVR Message Board

UFC 209: Woodley vs. Thompson II (3/4/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Remember when everyone thought Tyron Woodley was a layup for Wonderboy? 

Thompson fought 10 rounds against the man, and I was probably impressed by him in only two of them. This is why they fight em, folks.

I didn't watch the fight Saturday night, but after the first fight I had a good idea about how the fight would go.  When Woodley is  aggressive, he'll dominate Thompson.  If Woodley just stands around, Wonderboy is going to out point him.  There was nothing about that first fight that told me that Wonderboy could do anything that Woodley couldn't handle, but Woodley could destroy him if he just pulled the trigger.  I wish I could have watched the fight, but from what I understand it played out exactly how I thought it would.  

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If Woodley just stands around, Wonderboy is going to out point him.

You would think so...but Thompson didn't really do that. Woodley provided him pretty much every opportunity, but Thompson kinda just stood there whenever Woodley was against the cage. He might've landed a straight left or a body kick every 30 or 40 seconds, but everything you would think Wonderboy could possibly do...he didn't really do. He threw maybe 3 or 4 high kicks, but Woodley easily blocked them. Woodley got aggressive maybe 2 or 3 times during the whole fight, but the only time it really worked was the last minute of the final round. The problem for Wonderboy is....that was EASILY the most emphatic moment of the whole fight. At no point did Thompson create distance (meaning # of strikes) in the bout. Woodley had an abysmal performance outside of the round 3 takedown and the final minute of round 5, but he was STILL almost dead (if not slightly even) even in the number of strikes w/ Wonderboy throughout the fight.  Woodley had an off night. Stephen Thompson had the strangest gameplan I've seen in a high level championship that lasted more than 2 or 3 rounds. That ended up costing him.

People spent so much time talking about Woodley's gas tank. However, to "expose" that weakness, you have to do something to make him tired. Stephen Thompson did everything but that in the second fight. If Thompson wasn't going to vary his offense (I'm guessing they wanted to stay away from crazy kicks to not get taken down), Woodley could have fought 2 or 3 more rounds like that. The fight still would have been extremely close.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:22 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is literally every training camp/team besides camps where there is like 2 or 3 notable fighters. They don't control what dudes do in their spare time especially when guys bring in S&Cs and nutritionists outside the camp. So if you got any beef, it's with Khabib, his dad, Ali Abdelaziz, Khabib's nutritionist, and whatever combo therein.

Yup, looks like it's on Ali.

On 3/3/2017 at 6:22 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is literally every training camp/team besides camps where there is like 2 or 3 notable fighters. They don't control what dudes do in their spare time especially when guys bring in S&Cs and nutritionists outside the camp. So if you got any beef, it's with Khabib, his dad, Ali Abdelaziz, Khabib's nutritionist, and whatever combo therein.

I mean they can provide advice, but the fighter has to follow said advice.

Ray Longo was on Florian and Anik's podcast, and he said if you have a fighter who is involved with the camp, "they [the camp] know exactly what's going on" with his weight.

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Ray Longo was on Florian and Anik's podcast, and he said if you have a fighter who is involved with the camp, "they [the camp] know exactly what's going on" with his weight.

Ray Longo doesn't run AKA. He doesn't run Jackson/Wink. He doesn't run American Top Team.

Did you not read this part?

This is literally every training camp/team besides camps where there is like 2 or 3 notable fighters.

So at what point is this Javy Mendez's fault? ALL the people I named are clearly at fault for this. 

They thought they could get away with what they've been doing in the past, Khabib hit the wall when he got around 160-162, Khabib got ill, Ali panicked, and Khabib was taken to a random LV hospital w/o any consultation with the UFC.