DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] TYE DILLINGER vs. BOBBY ROODE

RIPPA

TYE DILLINGER vs. BOBBY ROODE  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces Nakamura

This poll is closed to new votes

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Why is Roode considered to be bland?  Because he doesn't do two million suplexes on his way to victory or his top rope finisher doesn't have the minimum requirement of two and a half revolutions?  Bah.

Bobby Roode for days because what you don't show in a match is just as important as what you do show in a match.. Old school heel like a mother fucker.

A truly good old school heel would know to take away anything that the fans love and replace it with something they'd hate for heel heat. If the fans love something about you, make sure they don't get that for the same "what you don't show in a match is as important as what you DO show in a match."

By that very ethos of what makes Roode so good, the fact that Bobby Roode doesn't go to CFO$ and say "I refuse to come to the ring to 'Glorious Domination' because the fans love it too much. Take out all the references to me saying 'Glorious', take 'Glorious' off of my robe' and give me the most generic guitar riff you can make so that they'll HATE ME for changing my theme song" in itself goes against what being a good old school heel is all about.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Roode is not interested in my interest of his character.  That is fucking awesome.

Twenty years ago, that'd be awesome- but in this era of wrestling, it's too normal.

We're just in an era where the fans are too smart and cute for their own good, and as a result you can't use "I don't care what you fans think!" anymore.

This is an era where the biggest, most hated man in the sport is ostensibly the biggest hero in the WWE solely because "If HE'S the star, then YOUR FAVORITE won't be!". An era where even the most despised, most evil performers in the sport get "YOU DESERVE IT!" chants for making it to the top of the mountain...and equally, where old school heels like Kevin Owens had to ruin their onscreen career by being a comedic goofball as champion with Chris Jericho, solely because the fans WANTED Owens to turn heel on Jericho and be a complete monster as the World Champion (because they know that would make Owens a superstar heel and a main event talent)...but because he was a heel and knew "to be a good heel, you have to do what the fans didn't want you to do", he had to be a comedic goofball and put his long-term top star chances in a noose, solely because the most heelish thing Kevin Owens could possibly do (turn on his best friend and be a serious asshole) would paradoxically be the most FACE thing that he could possibly do (because all the fans WANTED HIM to be a star).

I agree that Roode being not interested in lesser people's interest in your character IS fucking awesome...but in 2016-17, being fucking awesome makes you cool, and being cool makes you a FUCKING BABYFACE. 

On 2/26/2017 at 0:29 PM, Matt D said:

I saw both live this year. Roode came off as a perfect house show wrestler, just the ultimately stooging base for Alexander, the stereotypical ring general. Tye, on the other hand, wrestled so deferentially that he made himself seem woefully out of place in the main event when everyone in the arena wanted him to be there. 

I get that both cases aren't microcosms for the entire year but it's really hard to shake.

It's interesting you say this, because Tye's the opposite of this for me.  He was in the main event of the Charlotte/Concord house show I went to right after Wrestlemania last year teaming with Corbin against Finn & Nakamura, and I thought he was the only one who wasn't going through the motions.  He was pretty enthusiastically playing the straight man for the faces to get their schtick in on.  I feel like I remember posting on here at the time that he was the best guy in the match that night, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

Twenty years ago, that'd be awesome- but in this era of wrestling, it's too normal.

We're just in an era where the fans are too smart and cute for their own good, and as a result you can't use "I don't care what you fans think!" anymore.. 

This makes me sad. 

Roderick Strong is proof positive that you cannot earn kayfabe hate merely by the in ring solicitation of kayfabe hate, just as Roman Reigns is proof positive that the deliberate solicitation of kayfabe love will only earn you real scorn.

• Like 2

When done right, you can still elicit real emotions from an audience in 2017. Just look at the Owens/Jericho turn and compare that to fucking Dolph Ziggler. Owens was booed out of the building, whereas Ziggler was getting thank you chants and babyface pops for beating the shit out of faces with chairs. We're not that as far removed from the past when you see well executed storylines and matches. Which will eventually bring me to AJ Styles' big problem if/when Omega gets to him in this tournament.

3 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

It's interesting you say this, because Tye's the opposite of this for me.  He was in the main event of the Charlotte/Concord house show I went to right after Wrestlemania last year teaming with Corbin against Finn & Nakamura, and I thought he was the only one who wasn't going through the motions.  He was pretty enthusiastically playing the straight man for the faces to get their schtick in on.  I feel like I remember posting on here at the time that he was the best guy in the match that night, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

It's a role issue to some degree, I think. He knows how to be a cog that serves a role in making the match better and shining up other people. That's perfect for a heel up against faces the fans are really into. His job then is to make them look good and be a foil to allow them to do what the fans expect and want.

In Joppa last year, the fans bought tickets to see Nakamura, sure, but they also bought tickets to sing along with Glorious and to shout 10 at every chance they could. They bought tickets to root for Tye. He wasn't just there to be FIP for Nakamura. I think to some degree he refused to embrace that (either because he was unable to or because he thought it wasn't his role) and it disappointed me. The crowd wanted him and Nakamura to be the NXT Mega Powers and he wrestled deferentially enough to come off like Nakamura's Beefcake.

• Like 1

I think that the issue with Roode is that he really understands how to heel, but is that he isn't the world's best talker by miles and we expect that sort of thing from our pro wrasslin bad guys.  This is why the only thing you remember about Beer Money promos is the awesome shit that James Storm said.

I like the fact that Bobby Roode has decide to take the "I'm really good at what I do and I will maim my way to the title to prove it" attitude towards pro wrestling and in true douchebag heel fashion, he always keeps an ace under his sleeve.

Do I want him to cut a lengthy comic book villain monologue promo where he unveils his dastardly plan to achieve world domination? Well.....

But he cuts promos anyway regardless of my opinion because he does not validate his performance via my appreciation (or lack thereof).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Roode IS bland but I can't see how someone would think he's bland and Tye isn't.

Story line, baby, story line! Tye is the underdog, the Tommy Dreamer of NXT if you will. He gets close but gets screwed over and over again. The crowd is waiting for his big win. With Bobby, they see the guy with "Glorious" on his robe.

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Roode IS bland but I can't see how someone would think he's bland and Tye isn't.

I have accepted the fact that this is the "one man's trash.. etc." poll of the MM17 bracketology.  No argument will really sway anyone one way or the other.

Vote your conscience.

6 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Current events show that this doesn't always end well.

[sarcasm] It always ends well for me because it is not my fault that other people have really horrible opinions. [/sarcasm]

As long as we all remember that this is all in good fun, no one has to get their feelings hurt.

16 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Worse than Ascension v. Too Cool? 

You have just asked the question "are there any diseases worse than scurvy?" when the answer is "any disease is fucking bad, to be honest."

• Like 1