DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] TYE DILLINGER vs. BOBBY ROODE

RIPPA

TYE DILLINGER vs. BOBBY ROODE  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces Nakamura

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Tye doesn't do anything for me. I can see why he's stuck in the basement. 

Bobby vs Nak carries Roode through this one for me. 

I like Tye, but, yeah, there's a reason he's spent a great chunk of the past eleven years in developmental.  If I want to watch an NXT midcarder, the Drifter is right there.

I can see why people find Roode bland.  He's not my favorite, by any means, but I often dig his deliberate, old school style.

For me, it's Roode.

3 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Take away Roode's entrance music and he is super duper bland, Dillinger by 10 lengths.

Take away the 10 stuff, and Tye is the same. And he did not have the kickass Nakamura match on his resume.

• Like 1

Honestly both are sort of bland, but have found gimmicks that really work for them. I've been digging Tye slowly more and more the past few months. That said, I don't think his promos are as good Roode's, and his best match doesn't comes too close to Roode's at all which is amusing because I think it was the match with Roode. Roode wins this with me for the promos and the Nakamura match.

Both guys are sort of bland with one little thing in their gimmick that works to make them watchable, but Tye Dillinger at least has thrown himself into the "10" part of it and makes every piece of his blandness run through the lens of the Perfect 10.

Bobby Roode, on the other hand, is a theme song. He is still just...Bobby Roode, no different than the last few years, but he's got a new theme song now...and the theme song's only changed Roode's blandness by having him tagline a couple things with Glorious.

How is this a play-in and not a Round of 16 match?

Two of my favorites. Tye's a good fired-up mid-card babyface. Great entrance and persona. He plays to the entire arena really well.

Roode's a pompous rich-person snob who wears a bedazzled robe and has completely over-the-top entrances at big events. That is the exact reason why I started watching professional wrestling. Every wrestling promotion should have this archetype.

Not sure what Roode entrance I like more: The one where he was on the riser at Brooklyn, the chorus or the Flair '89 homage with the parade-of-women when he beat Shinske (in a pretty fantastic match).

Roode wins.

• Like 1

I saw both live this year. Roode came off as a perfect house show wrestler, just the ultimately stooging base for Alexander, the stereotypical ring general. Tye, on the other hand, wrestled so deferentially that he made himself seem woefully out of place in the main event when everyone in the arena wanted him to be there. 

I get that both cases aren't microcosms for the entire year but it's really hard to shake.

• Like 1

Isn't Roode working like an old school heel intentionally not trying to win the crowd over by being "awesome"? He's smart but not flashy. I think he should drop the glorious stuff while working though. 

Tye is a nice hand to have but I don't really see a whole lot in him other than that. Fuck voting for him if nothing than the mongoloids chanting ten during ref counts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

How is this a play-in and not a Round of 16 match?

Because of pretty much every other post in this thread.

Just because you are an uber fan - doesn't mean most are.

I don't have the issue with Roode that others have but did debate if putting him in the tournament was a Dolph Ziggler-esqe waste of time. (After bearing witness to every single thread post-Takeover shows).

I picked Dillinger over No Way Jose as the other NXT guy based mainly on Dillinger having the more "high profile" matches

• Like 1

Outside of his song and robe, it's still the same old Bobby Roode.  

Granted, the same argument could be made of Tye - and has been in this thread - but I'd rather watch his matches more.

• Like 1

Bobby is bland as hell and if his thing is that he's not giving the crowd a reason to cheer him, the Drifter is way better at that. Love the theme song but don't love the wrestler. His match with Nak was great though and that is the only reason I have any hesitation to vote Tye here. Tye has been steadily entertaining the whole year and while he hasn't lit the world on fire with his matches they are usually solid. Overall I find Tye to be more entertaining but the Nak/Roode match is such a high point for Roode that I have to decide if that match alone is enough reason for me to vote against the consistency of the Perfect 10.

• Like 1

Seems like half the posts in here are about Roode's entrance and the 10 chant. My interest in Roode goes down about 50% when his music stops playing and 90% when the bell rings. I'm not voting for a guy who hit the CFO$ lottery, and I'm not voting against someone because the Full Sail crowd likes chanting things.

• Like 4

Why is Roode considered to be bland?  Because he doesn't do two million suplexes on his way to victory or his top rope finisher doesn't have the minimum requirement of two and a half revolutions?  Bah.

Bobby Roode for days because what you don't show in a match is just as important as what you do show in a match.. Old school heel like a mother fucker.

• Like 1

Once Bobby's intro is over, he's Terry Taylor with better hair. He's just....there. Tye is growing as a character. I'm invested in his story. I want to see him get his big win. With Roode, I'm just waiting for Hero to knock his block off and move to the next program. Tye by a mile.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Roode is considered to be bland because he is bland. Revival are old school heels like a motherfucker.

Roode earns my kayfabe scorn merely by being a smug douche that seems to honestly believe he's light years better than anyone he's in the ring with.

Also he has no personality that's a big part of his bland-ness Revival and Drifter are both better at heeling by no being flashy and they have personality. Roode has always been dry and bland in TNA and now in NXT, he's not terrible in the ring or anything but there is just nothing there that makes me want to go and watch him. I really don't see much difference between Roode and Tye in terms of how good they are in the ring, but Tye has more personality and has a character that I'm interested in, Roode is ok, he can have good-great matches but he's dry toast when it comes to personality and character. 

• Like 1