DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] BAYLEY vs. KYLE O'REILLY

RIPPA

BAYLEY vs. KYLE O'REILLY  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces John Cena

This poll is closed to new votes

On 2/25/2017 at 4:29 PM, RIPPA said:

Really dug this match, and it's turned around my thinking on this play-in.  I should probably change my vote....

...to El Phantasmo.  He should probably be in the round of 64.

Spoiler

O'Reilly still doesn't do much for me.  I feel like, if the WWE ever signed him, he'd be treading water in NXT somewhere beneath Tye and the Drifter)

O'Reilley is mainly all about wrestling, and he's pretty good at it.  Once he got away from Davey I tended to appreciate him more.  And generally his NJ and ROH stuff is mostly pretty great.  But wrestling is all he's good at as he doesn't have the other factors that make me care about the guy.  But his lack of personality or reason to care about the guy don't give me much reason to vote for him.

As for Bayley, admittedly her eligible year isn't as good as the previous.  And while I'll never vote against her I'm sure not far into this she's going to lose.  But I just can't justify her losing to O'Reilly.  Unlike Kyle, Bayley gives me reason to care about what she's doing.  She's not as good of a wrestler, but her character and connection with the crowd can't be ignored.  In this matchup I'd rather go with the person that makes me care about what they're doing and Bayley's that person.

• Like 1

Kyle O'Reilly is better at selling desperation in his matches than Bayley is, so I think that counts in sucking people in emotionally to a match. It's probably a strength of both though, as Bayley does the scared puppy dog eyes and repeated strikes against the likes of Jax but Kyle's killer desperation is more believable to me. It's as if he's fighting for his life. He even does stuff like slobber on himself late in match to show the exhaustion and desperation.

Good points, but I'm a sucker for the puppy dog eye approach over slobbering over oneself.  Factoring in what's done outside the ring (promos, Twitter feed, backstage stuff, etc.) she gives more reasons to be invested in what she's doing.  Kyle has great matches, but I can't recall the last time I went out of my way to see one unless it was part of a show I was watching live.  I just have a hard time caring about the guy and to me stuff like that matters.

One of my favorite matches of 2016 was on ROH TV from July, when Kyle got injured by Bullet Club and still insisted on fighting Lethal for the World Title. A really fun match with a great little story around Kyle being injured and Lethal not wanting to cripple Kyle...but not wanting to lose the title, either.

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Technico Support said:

Stupid question but are there supposed to be voting buttons here?

THANK YOU for asking this because I've been too afraid of someone going "That's not how it works, STUPID!" or "There are voting buttons, why can't you see them?!" for me to ask!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, caley said:

THANK YOU for asking this because I've been too afraid of someone going "That's not how it works, STUPID!" or "There are voting buttons, why can't you see them?!" for me to ask!

I guess you guys figured out that voting started today.  The last few days have just been debate / converse / discuss time.

• RIPPA locked this topic