BAYLEY vs. KYLE O'REILLY  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces John Cena

This poll is closed to new votes

BAYLEY

vs. Asuka (NXT Takeover Dallas)

vs. Nia Jax (NXT - May 2016)

vs. Charlotte (RAW - 2/13/17)

Also see: the other Asuka match (NXT Brooklyn II)

KYLE O'REILLY

vs. El Phantasmo (ECCW - 1/14/17)

vs. Shibata (New Japan - 10/10/16)

vs. KUSHIDA (New Japan - BOSJ)

Also see: vs. Matt Riddle (BOLA Day 2), whatever ROH won't infuriate you

There's even a question that last year's defending champion could be out in the play-in rounds to the Steel Davey Richards that Davey Richards and Davey Richards fight each other inside and who is the poor man's Eddie Edwards (who was the poor man's Richards.)

If you wonder why wrestling needs feminism, this is why.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

There's even a question that last year's defending champion could be out in the play-in rounds to the Steel Davey Richards that Davey Richards and Davey Richards fight each other inside and who is the poor man's Eddie Edwards (who was the poor man's Richards.)

If you wonder why wrestling needs feminism, this is why.

Yes, this board that had an all female final last year clearly hates women. 

O'Reilly had a better year then Bayley. He was the best thing RoH had going for them pretty easily. He's one of New Japans top juniors. Bringing up Davey Richards as a down side in 2017 when he hasn't been aligned with him for years is nonsensical. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

My gut said O'Reilly till I realized how much quality NXT stuff Bayley had during the eligibility period. Now I'm not so sure. All posts from here on have the potential to sway me one way or the other. 

Which was? I haven't been impressed with her outside of the Charlotte match on Raw, which was admittedly awesome. I know I've got an anti Bayley bias relative to most on here but I love Asuka and honestly was shocked by how positively people saw their two matches. Sloppy botchfests. I prefer Asuka's matches with Jax over either of her Bayley matches or Bayley's matches with Jax. Her character work is usually really good and often great but her execution in ring leaves a lot to be desired and she sometimes looks like she's moving in mud. Her offense is weak as heck, and people rip on Okada and Tanahashi for the same thing but they're not even in the same ballpark. 

I have been avoiding ROH since the summer because it's such a chore to sit through (20 episodes on my DVR), but Kyle is almost always the best part of their shows when he's on. I'll have to check out some of his big matches I've missed in ROH and the second half of 2016 in NJPW but he's looked really good in PWG and he killed it in ECCW. The crowd was burnt out and seemed more into high spots and car crashes than wrestling. Kyle won them over with a focused technical match and that was by far the smartest match I've seen from El Phantasmo. That alone has him ahead of Bayley in my opinion. There are a lot of good workers today who work to their opponent's level either due to effort or lack of smarts. Kyle elevates his opponents and always puts a shift in. 

• Like 1

I don't see Sinclair selling ROH anytime soon. They'll be fine in terms of finances for a long while yet, but in terms of actual wrestling content it was a huge blow. Kyle's promos have come a long way the past few years, so he should do really well in NXT after his ROH dispute ends.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Which was? I haven't been impressed with her outside of the Charlotte match on Raw, which was admittedly awesome. I know I've got an anti Bayley bias relative to most on here but I love Asuka and honestly was shocked by how positively people saw their two matches. Sloppy botchfests. I prefer Asuka's matches with Jax over either of her Bayley matches or Bayley's matches with Jax. Her character work is usually really good and often great but her execution in ring leaves a lot to be desired and she sometimes looks like she's moving in mud. Her offense is weak as heck, and people rip on Okada and Tanahashi for the same thing but they're not even in the same ballpark.

If you didn't think the Asuka's matches were good than there is really no point in anyone trying to sell you on Bayley.

I loved the Charlotte match a few weeks back. I got the story they were going for in the Asuka matches, that she was a different level of competitor and on another level from Bayley, but the execution was so bad. It wasn't on one of them, they just don't seem to mesh well.

26 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I loved the Charlotte match a few weeks back. I got the story they were going for in the Asuka matches, that she was a different level of competitor and on another level from Bayley, but the execution was so bad. It wasn't on one of them, they just don't seem to mesh well.

I remember really liking the Bayley/Asuka series, then rewatched them after the excitement for them and being pretty handily let down.

Then again, I could say the same thing for basically every Asuka match this year.

She definitely didn't have the best year, and some of that is on not having a lot to work with, but some of it is on her too. The James match was pretty good and I think I may be the only one who loves her stuff with Jax (the Osaka match was one of my favourite WWE women's matches from the past 12 months) but other than that... *shrug* some fun squashes. 

35 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I remember really liking the Bayley/Asuka series, then rewatched them after the excitement for them and being pretty handily let down.

Complete opposite experience for me. I wasn't feeling so hot about either match following Zayn-Nak and Revival-DIY. But in isolation on rewatch, I really enjoyed both bouts. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

"Best Thing in ROH" really is damning with faint praise.

AND I would argue that the correct answer to that was either War Machine or Lee/Taylor

The answer would be War Machine and Lee/Taylor. ROH really missed out by not showcasing that feud more on TV.

1 hour ago, zev said:

The answer would be War Machine and Lee/Taylor. ROH really missed out by not showcasing that feud more on TV.

Indeed.  That feud was absolutely the best thing in ROH this year.

But for this discussion?  O'Reilly doesn't piss me off nearly as much as he used to.  But I'm still going with Bayley.