DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] NEW DAY vs. YOUNG BUCKS

RIPPA

NEW DAY vs. YOUNG BUCKS  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces The Hardys

This poll is closed to new votes

If New Day worked their gimmick hard as the Bucks do, they'd be a lock.  For me, they were stale and didn't have a lot of high-end matches or feuds this year.  I can't think of much I want to see again from New Day.  Boy, WWE had to dig deep in their bag of wacky finishes to keep the title reign going, didn't they.

• Like 1

It's schtick versus schtick!

At the start I would have gone New Day every day but as the year went on, it got a little tiresome with nothing new really added to the New Day mix, whereas I gained new appreciation for the Bucks and the goofiness.

New Day had a couple awesome matches;  the first is the RAW tag vs. Y2AJ. They had a very good PPV match with Gallows and Anderson.  Unfortunately, I can't remember which PPV it was but it was the opener and it starts off with Gallows and Anderson just DESTROYING New Day in the opening minute.  It felt like it'd be a squash and then New Day hung in and survived, cheated at the end.

They've had some really great stuff with Sheamus/Cesaro also.   All in all, a pretty good year in-ring. 

Young Bucks as always are difficult to judge. 

Two of the most talked about matches are from BOLA.   They have a six man tag from night 2 where they partner with Adam Cole and face Will Ospreay, Matt Sydal and Ricochet.  Meltzer gave this thing 5 stars.  There were truly some incredible spots in the match but it's not something I'd ever want to watch again.  I always feel like that with the Bucks. Cool spots but I'm never invested in anything they are doing.  So check this match out. 

The other was night 3 vs. Pentagon Jr. and Fenix.  I preferred this match.  It's worth the look.  Still batshit crazy.

Final Battle '16 vs. the Briscoes is another to look for.  It was wild and the Briscoes kept them a tiny bit more grounded in reality but not by much.

Bucks for me.  I haven't seen any of their highly-regarded ROH and PWG exploits from the last year, but their junior tag title work/teaming with Omega as The Elite/IWGP tag belt proper match with the Briscoes/opening Junior Tag Tournament bout with ACH and Ishimori from NJPW is enough to put them over what I've seen from The New Day during the same period.

New Day because they work an obnoxious gimmick without actually being obnoxious people.  If the Bucks worked their obnoxious gimmick with a fraction of Kenny Omega's humility, I'd be inclined to vote differently.

• Like 1

Does anybody in 2017 stooge better than the Bucks? They're killing me in their match against War Machine from Saturday, Honor Rising day 1.

New Day went completely flat for me in the second half of 2016. I pretty much fast forward through all of their shit now. It's rare that WWE lets a team or group stick around past expiration but they've certainly done that with New Day. Release Big E for that main event push he rightfully deserves.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

New Day deserve to lose just for the terrible Oscar joke tonight

Yes, my voting pendulum has swung slightly in favor of the Bucks of Youth after that horrible humor and waxing nostalgic over Kenny Omega's ROH appearances where thanks to Oyaji, I have found that I have not been very appreciative of their support role as stooges and evil henchmen. 

I will refer to this as the flunkie factor from now on.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

New Day  Took their real life personalities and made successful gimmicks out of them.

That's the thing.  I have seen enough of the Up Up Down Down content to come to the conclusion that the only really obnoxious person in the New Day MIGHT be Kofi, but that is mostly trash talk while gaming.. 

Xavier and Big E seem like all around solid dudes.

• RIPPA locked this topic