DVDVR Message Board

WWE Main Event 2017 Thread

The thread that noone asked for. I just watched the January matches. The skinny is that there's not that much to see here, though sometimes you get stuff which tampers with the standard WWE formula enough to make it fun.

January 4

1. Ariya Daivari over Lince Dorado in 4.5 minutes with a frogsplash (Magic Carpetless Ride, according to Aries), after winning an exchange on the ring apron - I quite liked that finish & Daivari's good, but Lince is a jobber and everyone knows it. 0.5 for 1

2. Shining Stars over Bo Dallas & Darren Young in 7 minutes with a rollup holding the tights. Bo still believes in Bo, but is sort of babyface here with no explicit dissension - though him deciding against tagging in Young leads to the cutoff. Double KO spot leads to Backlund helping Dallas get the hottish tag, Young hits his apron belly to back which leads  to shenanigans, Dallas eating the post on the outside and Epico getting the win. Perfectly acceptable wrestling, but nothing exciting. 1 for 2.

January 12

1. The Brian Kendrick over Mustafa Ali in 5 minutes with the Captain's Hook. Kendrick is 46.4% blind according to Aries, but it's Ali that appears to fluff a spot though it doesn't really affect the match (they even replay it). Ali gets caught with a leg lariat after tossing Kendrick back in the ring, and gets hooked. Bit of a nothing match really. 0 for 1.

2. Shining Stars over Sin Cara and Darren Young with a rollup (no tights) in 6 minutes and change. Sin Cara and Epico have fun exchanges, and there's a good quick false heat spot before Young posts and we get a heat section where Shining Stars show off their cutoff abilities (they could have some fun matches with American Alpha). Cara basically whiffs the hot tag, taking an age to climb the ropes (he's got a taped shoulder fwiw), but anyway commentary misses the subtlety of the finish, Cara tosses Primo but Primo holds on to his right arm to catch it on the top rope just stunning Sin Cara enough for the rollup to work. The Colons are way too good for this shit really. 0.5 for 2.

January 19

1. Alicia Fox over Dana Brooke with Scissors Kick to the Back in just over 3.5 minutes. They never sell that ridiculous flip that Brooke does on her entrance do they? They do sell her one-armed pushups though. Basically Brooke still isn't very good though, and whilst Fox is capable she's no miracle worker. Another flash finish though, they seem to like these on Main Event opening matches. 0 for 1.

2. Epico over Darren Young (no entrance) by Referee stoppage in just over 2.5 minutes. They start of well enough, Young tries his apron belly to back thingy, Primo grabs the foot and Epico trips Darren Young - who falls awkwardly and this leads to the match being waved off. Lesson here gentlemen, DON'T DO APRON SPOTS IN MATCHES WHERE NOONE GIVES A SHIT! Whoever produced this needs a talking to. 0 for 2. Young about to have many days off.

January 26

1. The Brian Kendrick over Lince Dorado with the Captain's Hook in just over 5 minutes. Kendrick does the 'stick your opponents foot in the ring rigging' and follows with a sliding dropkick - nasty! Dorado gets 2 good nearfalls with a good looking rana and a springboard stunner, but the SSP gets knees & Kendrick takes him down & locks him up. Couple of weak points, but this is the best match on Main Event in January. 1 for 1.

2. Alicia Fooooooxxxxx over Dana Brooke with Scissors Kick to the Back in just over 6.5 minutes. Match has very little pacing, cutoff is weak and finish is out of nowhere. I can dig a bit of mess, but Brooke remains quite ungood and, frankly, I swear she used to be hotter too. 1 for 2.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3/16/17

Axe man beats Bo with a perfectplex. Kinda fun but not worth viewing.

Gallaher beats Dar while I play with my phone. Now I get why people dislike Dar. When he is not talking and just wrestling he sucks. Boring show this week.

3/24/17

Axe-man vs A Hard Bodied Man who Comes in Peace.

Nice offense by Jinder. Axe-man with a short comeback and then a cobra clutch slam by Hard-body Mahal for the win.

Ariya Daivari and Noam Dar with Foxy vs Gentleman Jack Gallagher and GRAN METALIK~!

Handshakes of honor and the bell rings. Noam and Ariya play the fool for Jack. Metalik tags in. Metalik tosses out the heels and moonsaults on both of them from standing on the post! Very cool.  We go to break as Foxy checks on Dar. We come back and Dar kicks Metalik's feet out from under him as he was attempting something from the second rope. Heels work over Metalik in the corner. Metalik comes alive by dancing on the second rope in the corner and scoring a dropkick as the fans gasp. Nice spot. More beautiful offense by the faces including a gord-buster with float-over by the Gentleman. Accordng to the robotic announcer man, they call Metalik "king of the ropes." Metalik with a dive. A Gentleman's dropkick later Jack scores a pin. Fun stuff!

Not a bad show.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Babyface Dana has MORE POSES! Probably just had her best match ever against Nia Jax though.

I don't know to what extent they pipe the crowd on Main Event, but Swann vs Daivari actually appeared to get over - which goes to show they'd likely do better filming before Smackdown rather than after.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:15 AM, FireThunder said:

Good episode of Main Event this week: Cedric vs The Brian Kendrick and The Revival vs Anderson and Gallows.  Say yeah!

Channel surfing and I was surprised to see the Revival on this show. Good match. The Revival for WWE RAW Tag Team Champions, please!

• Like 1

How often do they update Main Event on the Network?   The most recent one shown is middle of June.    Curious about this Scott Dawson vs Kalisto match I heard was really good but completely buried the Revival because it had a ton of interference and Kalisto still won 

On 7/4/2017 at 1:38 AM, The Natural said:

Channel surfing and I was surprised to see the Revival on this show. Good match. The Revival for WWE RAW Tag Team Champions, please!

Club vs Revival was great. Like that Revival wear Ole Anderson boots. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a pretty swank Metalik/Dorado vs. Kendrick/Gulak match taped tonight.

Mickie James/Emma was the other Main Event match. Emma got a huge babyface pop and reaction throughout the match.