DVDVR Message Board

Get Out

Dolfan in NYC

We need to talk about this movie and why you need to see it.

It's extremely well acted, well written, and has a great slow reveal on what's going on. Daniel Kaluuya was fantastic.

Spoiler

I really loved that the two servants turned out to be the family's grandparents.  That was an awesome payoff to a suspicion I was building.

Applause from my crowd when each family member bought it. 

I also loved that Allison Williams was left to suffer and die on the street.  Now if that would only happen on Girls

Oh man this was so good.  

Yeah, wife and I loved it.  We're not really fans of the horror/suspense genre, but it was well-written, well-acted, and creepy all the way through.  Never really dragged even for a bit.  

The ending was cold, but well-deserved.

The plot twist (as to what's really going on) wasn't something I would have ever guessed but really worked - especially since the idea is basically implausible in a reality-based thriller.  Hell, I think it worked better since it is so implausible.

Spoiler

Good goddamn was that a great movie. I'm eagerly awaiting everyone else's thoughts about it. It reminded me of The Stepford Wives (1975) with a racial filter instead of a sexual one, and much more comedy, but still more than enough darkness, and gore that will probably be larger in the uncut version. One question I have is how the hypnotism/lobotomy worked initially. I suppose they found people that had the patriarch's particular mindset and let it run wild. It also begs the question of what happened to the random rich white people, if they're walking around like racist zombies; did they have some version of the procedure done on them as well? Or are they just caricatures? Perhaps both of those are the answer. 

When the police car reveal happened my entire theater burst out in applause. When I walked out a young black couple were right in front of me and the guy was saying "That scared the hell out of me" and I said (almost unconsciously) "That was a damn good movie", to which he responded (almost unconsciously) "Yes it was." 

If you haven't seen it don't read the spoilers, just go watch it. GO.

Spoiler

Insofar as the grandparents thing is concerned, they weren't the actual grandparents. They were people that were test subjects for the procedure that were hypnotized to view themselves as the grandparents of the family. Which makes this even weirder as it seems like the daughter somehow came into control of the whole family, or the mother was giving in to her interests and hypnotized a pair of people to be her permanent slaves. 

I'm very confused. J.T. will have a ball with this one.

BTW - it is still 133 for 133 on RT

Quickly scrolling through RT's highest rated movies of all time - the movie with the most reviews to stay at 100% is Toy Story 2 (163 reviews)

On their adjust rated list - Get Out currently is the 54th best rated movie of all time

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:
  Hide contents

Insofar as the grandparents thing is concerned, they weren't the actual grandparents.

Pretty sure they were the personalities/brains of the actual grandparents.  I got the impression the procedure was some sort of partial brain switch thing so it's the white person's consciousness in the black person's body, combined with hypnotism so that the black person's consciousness is still there but subdued "in the sunken place".  Remember the white guy saying "I want to see through your eyes."  I also got the impression that the white people who are doing this are old, and their body just gets ditched.  When the procedure was being done, the top of the white guy's cranium just got dumped in the trash.

Edit: To spell it out, they're looking to ditch their old bodies and get what they consider a "genetically superior" body.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Pretty sure they were the personalities/brains of the actual grandparents.  I got the impression the procedure was some sort of partial brain switch thing so it's the white person's consciousness in the black person's body, combined with hypnotism so that the black person's consciousness is still there but subdued "in the sunken place".  Remember the white guy saying "I want to see through your eyes."  I also got the impression that the white people who are doing this are old, and their body just gets ditched.  When the procedure was being done, the top of the white guy's cranium just got dumped in the trash.

Edit: To spell it out, they're looking to ditch their old bodies and get what they consider a "genetically superior" body.

Holy shit, I haven't seen it yet but I was not expecting it to be

Spoiler

a remake of BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN with Strother Martin!!!!!

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Good goddamn was that a great movie. I'm eagerly awaiting everyone else's thoughts about it. It reminded me of The Stepford Wives (1975) with a racial filter instead of a sexual one, and much more comedy, but still more than enough darkness, and gore that will probably be larger in the uncut version. One question I have is how the hypnotism/lobotomy worked initially. I suppose they found people that had the patriarch's particular mindset and let it run wild. It also begs the question of what happened to the random rich white people, if they're walking around like racist zombies; did they have some version of the procedure done on them as well? Or are they just caricatures? Perhaps both of those are the answer. 

When the police car reveal happened my entire theater burst out in applause. When I walked out a young black couple were right in front of me and the guy was saying "That scared the hell out of me" and I said (almost unconsciously) "That was a damn good movie", to which he responded (almost unconsciously) "Yes it was." 

If you haven't seen it don't read the spoilers, just go watch it. GO.

People telling me to go watch things won't make me go watch those things but reading spoilers that make things sound amazing will because I wasn't that interested in watching it, just interested enough to read the spoilers, and having read the spoilers, I'm definitely more excited to see it sooner rather than later because OMGWUT!?

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and SKOS spells it out in his first sentence. Thank you, that was so obvious but I are not smarts.

To be fair, I didn't completely get it either.  Everything in my spoilered post I understood, but I was thinking "Okay, but why would you have your grandparents doing household chores?"

Someone elsewhere on the internet explained that that's probably not how things are at the house on most days.

Holy crap this movie was great.  Arguably the best quasi-political horror film since Night Of The Living Dead.

Spoiler

I knew from a previous article that Peele was interested in exploring the idea of America cheerfully consuming Black culture while rejecting Black society, but I never imagined he'd come up with something this creative.

• Like 5

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, RIPPA said:

BTW - it is still 133 for 133 on RT

Quickly scrolling through RT's highest rated movies of all time - the movie with the most reviews to stay at 100% is Toy Story 2 (163 reviews)

On their adjust rated list - Get Out currently is the 54th best rated movie of all time

RT went ahead and put up Armond White's negative review of Get Out.  So it's now at 99%, with 147 positive reviews and 1 negative.  Oh Armond, you lovable scamp.

I heard about that review. Apparently to people who've read it, they question whether or not he actually saw the movie before or after he wrote most of it... or if at least paid any attention while he was watching it.

21 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

RT went ahead and put up Armond White's negative review of Get Out.  So it's now at 99%, with 147 positive reviews and 1 negative.

Every brotha ain't a brotha.

• Like 3

What a great movie. Saw it in a nearly full theatre with probably 70% black people and they were absolutely INTO it in a way that really made the movie pop more. 

Buddy I went with was meh on it because he wanted a more overt commentary but he's super into white dude art films and I feel like he might just not be used to stuff that isn't aimed at white audiences. I know that the me of five or ten years ago wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of it. That said, I'm surprised more white dude critics haven't missed the point entirely.

Seriously incredible film though. Actually made hypnosis on film terrifying for the first time ever for me and just...yeah. Did a really good job carrying the message and themes while still telling a great, tense story. I loved it.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I gotta say that the "sunken place" stuff legitimately sent a damn shiver down my spine. Love how terrifying Peele made it come off as with those visuals. Hell, just thinking about it right now gave me goosebumps. Also, I gotta say that how Chris killed the brother put a big ass smile on my face and the police car reveal was probably the loudest pop I've heard in the theater since the "I'm always angry" scene from Avengers.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the song that played during the opening and closing credits aka not Redbone by Childish Gambino.

The title of the song is Swahili and loosely translated it means, "Listen To Your Ancestors."

The "lyrics" of the song consist of one phrase repeated over and over:  "Something bad is coming.  Run." and the chorus is the title of the song.

This is not random thread necromancy, though.  Both the extended versions and the alternate ending version of Get Out are both available On Demand and it should be out on DVD by May 23rd.

BUY~!

• Like 1

I'm being choosy as fuck with my DVD buying right now (for space and money reasons plus Canadian Netflix stopped sucking...we get all big Disney releases 8 months after they leave theatres now! Also Moonlight is hitting this month. Just way more good contemporary stuffi n general)

That aside got out of control.

The point is I'm buying this first week on sale on DVD.

• Like 1

Just watched it this weekend.  Amazing.

I just read @AxB and @J.T.'s mentions of Armond White's review and had to read it for myself.  I think  he watched the movie but had preconceived notions and, on top of that, didn't pay attention at all.  He makes threes mistakes in this one paragraph alone:

Get Out’s routines — Chris identifying with a wounded deer, Chris being introduced to clueless, suspicious, patronizing, dishonest, and rapacious whites — paint a limited, doomed picture of race relations. Like a double-dealing demagogue’s speech, there’s just enough pity to satisfy black grievance and just enough platitudes (Rose back-talking a white cop) to make whites feel superior. When an Asian party guest asks Chris “Is African-American experience an advantage or disadvantage?” it reveals Peele’s own biracial anxiety.

1. Chris doesn't "identify" with the wounded deer.  The deer was hit and run and reminded him of what happened to his mother.

2. Rose standing up for Chris to the cop was not about platitudes or Rose fighting for Chris' rights.  It was part of her ploy.  If the cop doesn't get to see Chris' ID, there's no paper trail linking him to her, or that location in general, when he goes missing.

3. The party guest asked Chris about the African American experience because there was a chance he would become Chris.  Likewise, none of the party goers is clueless or patronizing.  They all know exactly why they're there and are questioning Chris and Rose accordingly.  Questioning Chris about his experience, questioning Rose how the sex is, talking to him about how he sees art...it was the equivalent of reading a Yelp review :D 

White's review is chock full of shit like this, where he just misses the point over and over because he's too busy stroking his anti-Obama hate hard-on to notice.

• Like 1