DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] BECKY LYNCH vs. SASHA BANKS

RIPPA

BECKY LYNCH vs. SASHA BANKS  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces Charlotte

This poll is closed to new votes

Sasha vs. Charlotte MEANT MORE as a feud. It made women main eventing a Raw normal, they main evented a PPV, and had a number of big matches.

Becky's storylines were more WELL-WRITTEN than Sasha/Charlotte. The feuds weren't as good, but there was far less gladhanding each other in Becky's storylines and far more "Yes, they do hate each other in this and you're supposed to believe they do."

I'm going to go against the grain here as Becky's my top WWE female talent. I'd rank the Four Horsewomen the following: Becky, Charlotte, Sasha, Bailey. The RAW Horsewomen have gotten to work with the same group of girls for about 2 years now so their matches should be on autopilot and basically does not remove the speculation that Sasha was so good in NXT because she was able to plot out her Takeover matches every day for a month in a half.

Becky had a few new women to work with and was able to be the #2 focal point at times. Now some of Bex rise has to do with the better writing on SDL but even with the best writing it still takes a talent performer to pull it off and make it mean something.

• Like 2

This is a bit tough, Sasha has the matches with Charlotte and not much else while Becky was a consistent highlight of Smackdown post draft but didn't have the high level matches. pre-brand split might have favored Becky a little more but that's mostly because they used her and left Sasha on the bench for most of spring. I'm leaning toward Sasha though, terrible booking be damned the Charlotte/Sasha series were all really good or better matches. 

9 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Overall, yes, but in the time period? 

Doesn't overall yes answer the question in the time period? 

Why is it that the occasional recklessness and losses to Nia Jax mean that Sasha is slipping?  She knows her role even when it is on the downside of the book.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Doesn't overall yes answer the question in the time period? 

Why is it that the occasional recklessness and losses to Nia Jax mean that Sasha is slipping?  She knows her role even when it is on the downside of the book.

Because Bayley's best work came with Charlotte, and Nia's came with Asuka, and she had no real great matches with Becky save for Asuka, which could be called more on Charlotte then Sasha.

Could be called?  How does your roundabout reasoning draw the conclusion that Sasha has fallen off to the point that Becky is the better worker in this moment in time?

If your counterargument is a vote for Becky over Sasha, then how much of Becky's best work in recent memory is really due to Alexa Bliss being arguably the best heel in pro wrestling right now and Mickie James still being more than able to get it done?

Well keep in mind, I've always considered Becky the best worker of the 4, just that her style doesn't gel with WWE amazingly. She's an all world chain wrestler in a company that doesn't do chain wrestling.

And I'm not arguing Becky over Sasha in this time period. I said that page one. I'm saying the argument for Sasha being that everyone of the best female workers in the company had there best match with Sasha this year, is false.

11 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Well keep in mind, I've always considered Becky the best worker of the 4, just that her style doesn't gel with WWE amazingly. She's an all world chain wrestler in a company that doesn't do chain wrestling.

Well, that doesn't matter in this forum since you're debating and conversing with people who I believe will do their best to take the WWE bullshit out of the equation and try to discuss Becky's work in an objective yet biased manner.  We all have our preferences, that's just how things are.

11 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

And I'm not arguing Becky over Sasha in this time period. I said that page one. I'm saying the argument for Sasha being that everyone of the best female workers in the company had there best match with Sasha this year, is false.

Sasha has had better matches with a wider variety of opponents that most of the divas in the same time frame.  Yes she can be sloppy at times. Yes I have no problem letting some of that sloppiness slide.  This is my conclusion.

Yes, I say this knowing that it is somewhat  prima facea unfair since Smackdown booking likes to tock divas down into extended programs rather than emphasize the jockeying for position that has been the cornerstone of the RAW Women's Title picture.

I also find the "Alexa Bliss being the best heel in wrestling" thing odd. She's a great character, but she still feels green as all hell as a worker. She's yet to have a match I'd really classify as "very good" yet. And, bigger also, the Miz is on the same freaking roster.

And it's cool you prefer Sasha. Like I said, as much as I love Becky, she's got my vote for this round too. I just think Sasha, as someone who is still a big Sasha fan, does have holes in her game that has been exposed. Strong chance she comes across much better if she is given a serious run as a top heel though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I also find the "Alexa Bliss being the best heel in wrestling" thing odd. She's a great character, but she still feels green as all hell as a worker. She's yet to have a match I'd really classify as "very good" yet. And, bigger also, the Miz is on the same freaking roster.

That was just me not proofing before posting, man.  Miz and KO are mythic in their respective douchebag factors right now and Charlotte is probably the best overall female heel on the roster.

I really like what Alexa has been able to do such a short time frame though despite being nearly as green as grass and the utilizer of a really dangerous finisher that she desperately needs to reel in.. 

It is so easy to love Becky because of Alexa's uncanny ability to come off as a bratty entitled shit worthy of a good armbreaking.

That being said, my vote is still with Sasha if her play-in competition is Becky.

• Like 1

Someone posted on Twitter last week that they didn't understand how Charlotte and Sasha could have wrestled as many times as they have and still seem to botch/rush through so many things.  I'm probably lower on Charlotte than most people, but as a result, I don't rate the Charlotte/Sasha matches as highly as others.  They may still be better than Becky's best (I need to watch the Mickie James match), but I enjoy Becky more. 

I'm curious as to what people think would happen if Sasha and Becky had swapped places in the draft.  I feel like the Charlotte/Becky matches would be just as good, if not better, but I'm not sure how I think Sasha would do as Smackdown ace.

Is Becky SmackDown's ace though? She lost the title awful early for a divisional ace and has been in the 2nd or even 3rd most important feud since a bunch of mediocre matches with Bliss. 

I agree with you on Charlotte and Sasha still having a lot of kinks in their matches despite working so frequently. That falls count anywhere match, kinks and all, still blows away Becky's best in this period.

I am not sure you can blame the booking whims of the WWE on Becky.

Plus - the WWE really tends to prefer to have babyfaces chasing unless they want them break a record (or just not defend the title at all)

8 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I'm curious as to what people think would happen if Sasha and Becky had swapped places in the draft.  I feel like the Charlotte/Becky matches would be just as good, if not better, but I'm not sure how I think Sasha would do as Smackdown ace.

Becky would hold up her end of the feud with Charlotte and then some. In storyline terms, perhaps it could actually have been better, as Becky avenging her submission loss at Mania has much more to it than Sasha avenging being prevented from breaking up a hold. Becky being mad at herself > Sasha being mad at Uncle Snoop for not eyepoking Ric Flair.

Sasha vs. Alexa could possibly make for a good smirking contest on Talking Smack.