DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] BECKY LYNCH vs. SASHA BANKS

RIPPA

BECKY LYNCH vs. SASHA BANKS  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces Charlotte

This poll is closed to new votes

Remember the brand split, how there were folks who thought SDL would be the weaker one, given the draft picks?

It became the better show. A big part of that was due to the women's roster.

How was that possible, given that RAW got Charlotte and Sasha and later Bayley?

The answer is Becky, the Lynchpin of the division.

Pun intended, as Becky might appreciate.

For now, just something pre-brand split, in the name of puns and suplexes.

• Like 4

Becky's great and fun. But she's the second best female performer on Smackdown behind Alexa Bliss.

Sasha was in the best series of women's wrestling matches in WWE history. Please take out any qualms you may have about the booking and leave them to the side. Sasha beat Charlotte by doing the Banks Statement between the railings in a Falls Count Anywhere match that main evented Raw. Those matches were so great. Sasha got hurt this year which took some of her momentum but she was in the best series of matches of the year.

• Like 1

The main disagreement I'm going to have with most people (other then I disliked the Styles/Cena rivalry) is that I also wasn't over the top crazy about Charlotte/Sasha. They were good matches that told a good story, but the vast majority of them had some decent flaws/botches involved as well that took me flat out of it for times. 

That said, as much as I love Becky, I can't make a very good argument for her over Sasha this year. Becky was very solid on Smackdown, and is the best overall woman on the roster (Alexa has her beat in terms of character work, but is still pretty green overall in the ring.) , but while SD's womens division has been a better week to week watch, nobody has really eclipsed the field significantly there.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Those matches were so great. Sasha got hurt this year which took some of her momentum but she was in the best series of matches of the year.

Name one Charotte/Sasha match that was as good as any of the Revival series with DIY.

I don't think the argument needs to go in a direction where we are comparing that series with the DIY/Revival series,  and I say that because I'm just trying to find one Becky Lynch match that is better than the worst Sasha/Charlotte match and I can't think of one.  I love Becky just like everyone else does but the matches against Alexa Bliss were mostly disappointing. I would put most of that blame on Alexa or just poor chemistry for whatever the reason but then I watch Alexa vs. Naomi and while it was sloppy at times, the highs were greater than the highs in any of the matches with Becky. 

I need to go back before the draft and see what Becky was up to, I can't remember right now.

• Like 1

Sasha Banks by far. The best of the NXT Four Horsewomen and I have Lynch bottom.. I know the Banks/Charlotte series divided opinion, more the Hell in a Cell match. I really liked that match. The top of the lot was the falls count anywhere RAW match in November.

I like Becky Lynch but she didn't have a singles match at the level of the strongest or weakest match in the aforementioned Banks vs. Charlotte rivarily. Her best outing? With Banks and Charlotte at WrestleMania XXXII.

I vastly prefer Becky's work to Sasha's on the main roster. I wasn't at all blown away by the Sasha-Charlotte matches. But fair is fair and Becky hasn't done anything of note on a consistent basis to touch the aforementioned series for the Raw title. So I grudgingly give the nod to the Boss. 

Becky was a lot of fun as a character but her matches didn't really deliver a whole lot unless I'm forgetting something. What was her best match this past year?

I haven't seen some of the Charlotte/Sasha matches, so I'll spend sometime over the weekend doing that.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I like Becky Lynch but she didn't have a singles match at the level of the strongest or weakest match in the aforementioned Banks vs. Charlotte rivarily. Her best outing? With Banks and Charlotte at WrestleMania XXXII.

Becky vs. Mickie James was better than the "weakest" Sasha/Charlotte matches (opinion will vary on what that was but it was definitely better than HIAC and the Iron Man match (the latter more a fault of the shitty match layout)) and I could make a case it's Becky's best match of the time period

(I'm not going to because I haven't seen the triple threat since Mania and I really don't care that much)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Becky vs. Mickie James was better than the "weakest" Sasha/Charlotte matches (opinion will vary on what that was but it was definitely better than HIAC and the Iron Man match (the latter more a fault of the shitty match layout)) and I could make a case it's Becky's best match of the time period

(I'm not going to because I haven't seen the triple threat since Mania and I really don't care that much)

Which Becky vs. Mickie James match was that? I'd say the weakest Sasha/Charlotte match was SummerSlam or Roadblock: End of the Line, the latter for the match layout.

17 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He means Elimination Chamber.

Yes, they really do all blend together that much. 

Yeah - that show too.

I literally forgot that Smackdown had a PPV since Rumble

Becky is the better straight up wrestler.  Take away Sasha's penchant for taking stupid ass bumps and she doesn't have much non-character stuff going for her.  Being outside of NXT's structure hurts her more than the other Horsewomen.

Becky had a great year in terms of establishing herself as a major part of the company while Sasha had the better big matches.

I'm a huge Becky supporter but her series with Alexa was very poor in the ring. It was kinda brushed aside because we all go into Smackdown wanting to like everything and go into RAW wanting to critique everything.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Becky is the better straight up wrestler.  Take away Sasha's penchant for taking stupid ass bumps and she doesn't have much non-character stuff going for her.  Being outside of NXT's structure hurts her more than the other Horsewomen.

I half-agree with this. Becky is probably the better wrestler since she can put together a match without almost killing herself (and in multiple styles, don't forget La Luchadora) and has acted as the central pillar of the Smackdown division. But I don't agree Sasha has no character and has been hurt by being on the main roster. Sure, she's better as the cocky heel (which we can all agree is most likely returning soon) but she does pretty well fighting from underneath too. Like a lot of these match ups, Sasha's highs were higher but Becky was more consistent. Add in the historical significance of her Charlotte feud and I'd give it to her. Oddly enough, if Becky had been in Sasha's place in that feud, I think it would have done just as well if not better.

I like Becky  lot more than Sasha and really want to vote for her.  But..... Becky spent the first part of the year as the forgotten Horsewoman on Raw (well, Bayley, but she was still in NXT) and didn't really have great matches after the Draft.  Post-draft, she was hurt a lot by not having anyone on SDL's heel roster who could keep up with her.  She spent most of the year feuding with Alexa, who clearly can't go with her in the ring and who has very little chemistry with Becky.  There's really nothing of Becky's I want to see again.

Sasha had some very good matches with Charlotte (even though the booking was suspect).

I couldn't disagree more with @Raziel403 about Sasha Banks.  What do Bayley, Becky and Charlotte all have in common?  Their best work is with Sasha. I'm not sure that's even debatable. Bayley has had other great matches with Asuka but they aren't as good as her best two matches with Sasha.   Bayley has one great match with Charlotte, the rest are solid, they blend together. 

Becky hasn't had a match that comes close to her match with Sasha at Takeover. 

Charlotte hasn't done much of anything with other opponents.

Also, this argument about Sasha only being "reckless" as the thing she does well is BS.  There wasn't a whole lot of high spots in her NXT work.  Those matches were drenched with psychology, limb work,  her heeling,  especially playing with the crowd...   she's a great overall performer.

• Like 2

Most of the stuff you are talking about isn't from this time period.

You can be all SASHA IS THE GREATEST WRESTLER OF ALL TIME!!!! but keep it in the realm of the time period.

Just sticking with the time period, I've only liked Becky vs. Mickie at Elimination Chamber.   I felt the series with Alexa fell way short of expectations.   Sasha has.. I would say at least 3 matches better than the Becky/Mickie match. Neither are going very far in this thing.  Probably looking at first round exits.

Becky worked a whole different style for the majority of a TV match just for sake of storyline mind games. She got the best out of Alexa, who was at one point considered by some folks to be "not ready for the call up."