DVDVR Message Board

[PLAY-IN] DEAN AMBROSE vs. BRAUN STROWMAN

RIPPA

DEAN AMBROSE vs. BRAUN STROWMAN  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Winner faces AJ Styles

This poll is closed to new votes

The problem with that analogy is that Strowman is starting his 3rd year in the bigs, when his first year was spent in the pen, whereas Dean's the wrong side of 30 and been in the rotation for years now. Yeah, regression for Strowman is possible, especially if he gets sacrificed on the altar of Making Roman Look Really Strong and he loses some of that monster aura, but it's not really the expected path.

2 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

The problem with that analogy is that Strowman is starting his 3rd year in the bigs, when his first year was spent in the pen, whereas Dean's the wrong side of 30 and been in the rotation for years now. Yeah, regression for Strowman is possible, especially if he gets sacrificed on the altar of Making Roman Look Really Strong and he loses some of that monster aura, but it's not really the expected path.

Can Jericho be Corbin Bernsen in this somehow?

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

Braun's theme music also sounds like some Victory Records thing my friends would have subjected me to circa '96 or so. Not a selling point.

I think that Braun earning such high regard in spite of his theme music IS a selling point. 

He definitely needs something a bit more Mastadon-y to come to the ring to.

• Like 1

Both of these guys have had starkly different years pre and post-Draft.  I think Dean picked up a good bit of steam as the top babyface on Smackdown (non-Cena division) and did better than a lot of people expected.  Since the draft, Braun has played his role perfectly, which is usually enough to get advance someone pretty far in these.  He's also responsible for introducing us to Ellsworth, which depending on your stance, is a pro or a con.

45 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

His song is pretty Mastadon-y. And it starting with him just yelling is soooo great.

It sounds more Blood And Thunder Mastadon-y when I need it to sound more Divinations Mastadon-y.

• Like 2

They're both guilty but I think he did more after that to justify a pick over Braun and, again, I love me what Braun's become but it's been a few months of that. He was often the best part of the Shield match and at least he's been getting more creative with the rebound lariat.

Knowing what we know now, I'd agree with that. Brock didn't want to take any decent bumps or look remotely bad since he was going into that match with Hunt. Ambrose could only do so much and I don't think he's crazy enough to pot shot Brock or work stiff because Brock would just kill him.

You can look at the Brock vs Reigns match and you can easily tell that Brock was going to let Reigns punch the shit out of Brock's face and Brock was going to take stiff shots to get that match over. There was practically none of that when it came to the match with Ambrose, which is bullshit.

I honestly can't remember which way I predicted this match either. I may have voted for Ambrose just because while Braun is awesome, he only started coming on strong within the last couple months. Ambrose has done excellent work on SmackDown! since the draft happened. Nothing mind blowing, but he's been consistently good to great for longer than Braun has.

• Like 1

The Brock and the Jericho match are both examples of the problem- they sucked, but they both were not Ambrose's fault for Lesnar not wanting to give him anything, booking letting them, and Jericho seeming washed up until the JeriKO thing began. 

Even if they're bad things, compare it to Wyatt Family Strowman between March-June before he split off from the group and came into his own, and Ambrose STILL had the better first half of the voting period (albeit with Strowman's second half still managing to be better than Ambrose's second half, EVEN WITH Ambrose normalizing on SDL.