DVDVR Message Board

WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2017 - THE END

RIPPA

Okay, so, I don't want to bog down every single british wrestler thread with this same point, so I'm going to ask it in here. I hope you believe that I'm asking this question entirely earnestly and not out of some like attempt to provoke:

What am I missing here? There's a lot of British guys that get a lot of praise (Tommy End, Osprey, Damo) and I've tried to watch them, and I've also just tried to watch Trent Seven and Joe Coffey and... it seems like faster, less realistic indie stuff? I mean, I get that considering the 2000s in England that this is all a huge improvement in name value and that freshness is intriguing, but I've tried repeatedly to watch matches from modern British wrestling and... I don't get it. I'm gonna try the UK tournament on the WWE network while I clean my room, but I really would appreciate some perspective here because I'd like to think this is something more than "kids these days."

• Like 1

I don't think the UK tournament - outside of the final and Pete Dunne's work - the going to the best example to "sell you" on modern British wrestling

Ironically - I don't think a single one of my favorites from the current scene are in the tournament 

What are the rules on posting youtube links of matches in full if they aren't from the official channel of promotion that held the match?  As in, can we post multiple WWE matches that don't have the WWE's channel as the source?

If it's YouTube or DM I don't mind if it's posted

The other one that starts with V whose name I'm spacing on it's fine too

If it is Russian or a Google Drive I would prefer it be talked about in hushed tones

I realized I never explained this thoroughly

Originally with the play-in games - because I had some stranglers that people felt strongly enough to voice opinions about - I was like "okay - I can do some themed matches". Originally there were only going to be 8 (Actually I had less than that but I need a multiple of 4): WWE, Lucha, Japan, Tag, NXT, UK, Women, US Indy - this is why some of the play-in games are genre specific and some seem random

But then math and the bracket maker decided to fight with me and as I was doing the bracket, I had to make some decisions on the fly.

So certain factors started to come into play: easy of available footage (Mike Bailey, Black Terry), fairness (Bayley - if Sasha/Becky were fighting, in theory Bayley probably should have to fight for survival too), last WWE folks in (Rusev. Joe SHOULD have been in a play-in but I totally missed him when doing the matchups. But he is facing Shibata so he has his work cut out already).

Then the rest became just trying to break up giant clumps of folks (like at one point there was a bracket that had all but one of the tag teams and another that had 6 women in it). Oh yeah - the initial bracket as per usual was completely randomized to start (hence some of the grouping issues)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just a reminder

@BL88 and @NikoBaltimore have not finished their predictions

And we have a couple of non-AJ Styles folks

I just did it, and while I might have screwed myself by voting Bayley so far into it I just couldn't pick against her unless I really had to.

And with the choices we have to make in the later rounds, Rippa you're an evil, evil man.  But it should be fun.

I made my ballot. I hate my ballot. I hate everything.

I hate you people for voting Kenny fucking Omega over Hechicero and Cavernario (Alternatively I also hate you for voting Jericho and his terrible Dean Ambrose feud and complete inability to understand his own physical limits over Cavernario).

I went with the Hardys on top though. This is 2017 DVDVR. Dozens of excellent AJ Styles matches, a couple of good promos, and 1-2 good Talking Smack appearances doesn't beat the sheer amount of joy provided by the Hardys for you people this year. I'm not even sure it comes close. Of those who also picked the Hardys, I don't feel so bad about my ballot. @BL88 went way too deep with Joe and @zev's ballot is joyfully insane.

• Like 2

Since my prediction just went in, I want to note that as a gentleman, I have not looked at any of the play-in threads before making the picks. My victory will be fair and well-earned.

Now, to vote for every single person I picked and call everyone who voted against them stupid.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Is Marty "Scrull" intentional?

LOL I've seen that misspelling many times and, in actuality, him being a shape changing alien makes perfect sense.

I kind of agree with @BL88's assessment of the UK scene not really jumping out at me, though I admit my exposure has been limited to the WWE UK tournament and seeing the guys who regularly tour the US (Scurll, Sabre, Ospreay, Mandrews, etc).  It all feels really derivative to me, like guys who got tapes of US indies and are cosplaying...like the UK doesn't have its own scene, they're just aping somebody else's.  Ospeay, for example, watched a bunch of flippy dudes and decided the best approach would be to just pile on even more unnecessary flips.  I feel like there's nothing there that I haven't seen better people already do.

Again, I'm not the most informed, just commenting on what I've seen.  

Things I have already learned and it isn't even March

1) People have a really hard time thinking of the time period when discussing the 4 Horsewomen

2) Bad matches are always the other person's fault

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Things I have already learned and it isn't even March

1) People have a really hard time thinking of the time period when discussing the 4 Horsewomen

2) Bad matches are always the other person's fault

I think people generally dont consider the time period for a person. Then again, i think people just for who they like with no other criteria.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, Raziel403 said:

Styles vs. Naito in the Round of 16 is like picking my kids, but I know who's winning.

You haven't figured out that the true purpose of MM every year is to turn me into a raging alcoholic by the end of the month.

The bullshit has already begun with the Trent Seven / Keith Lee play-in.  I may as well chose which eye is my favorite and poke out the other with a pin.

Who did Bayley draw to play into the tournament?

28eb3d2074kyleoreilly.jpg

Kyle "Short Bus: O'Reilly.

• Like 1